Makes 2 Loaves or 20 Rolls​
From the Kitchen of Joe Valencic​
jvalencic@gmail.com​

Ingredients:

1/2C (4 oz.) milk
3 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast or 2 teaspoons Instant Yeast (.34 oz.)
1-1/2 C (13 oz.) warm water (105 F to 110 F)
2 C (10 oz) Whole Wheat Flour
3-4 C (1# 5 oz.) Unbleached bread flour

Directions:

1. Combine milk, honey and butter in small saucepan. Heat over low heat and stir until butter melts and honey dissolves. Cool to lukewarm (less than 110 F).
2. If using active dry yeast, dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed bowl and let stand for 10 minutes. If using Instant Yeast, just add it to the flour and mix it in before adding liquids.
3. Add lukewarm milk mixture and water to 3 C (15 oz.) flour. Attach bowl and dough hook. Turn to speed 2 and mix 1 minute. Continuing on speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 C (2.5 oz.) at a time (slowly so it doesn't fly out of bowl), until dough clings to hook and cleans side of bowl. Knead on speed 2 for 2 minutes longer, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Dough will be slightly sticky to the touch. (At this point I take the dough and knead it for 5-7 minutes, if needed, adding flour as needed, until I get the feel I want from the dough...smooth & elastic)
4. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about an hour.
5. Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape each half into a loaf and place in a greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Slash top of loaf lengthwise and brush with egg whites.
6. Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until 200 F internal temperature. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks. Rub top crust of loaf with sweet butter to soften crust. Do not bag bread until it reaches room temperature.

For Hamburger and hot dog buns, divide the dough into 2-1/2 oz portions and shape into a ball. Allow dough balls to rest for 5 minutes, then flatten with the heel of your hand and place on cookie sheet dusted with cornmeal. Allow about 1" between rolls for expansion/proofing. For hot dog buns, shape into about 5-6" long tubes with seam down. Brush with wisked egg white/water mix and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. Bake at 400 F for 12-14 minutes or until 200 F internal temperature.

ButtertopWholeWheat-2.jpg

ButtertopHoneyWholeWheat.jpg

homecook

Oh thank you.........I think I'll try this tomorrow morning. I may even take some pictures! lol

Barb

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Wow! How do you do that everytime! Awesome job!
I'm glad you asked that question. I WEIGH all of my ingredients including my liquids (measuring cups lie), and follow my recipes every time. This guarantees repeatability. The recipe binder is the first item grabbed when I get ready to bake, regardless if I have the recipe memorized or not. Baking is not as forgiving as cooking, so accuracy increases your success potential.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Pretty, as usual, Joe. Thanks.
So what did/are you going to eat with it?
I made it for some elderly friends, along with some beef veggie soup. The hubby is dying (Hospice in-home care) and his wife lost the desire to cook and is losing weight. They've been married for 67 years. Their niece told me what was going on because we had not seen them in church for a few weeks, so I told her when to come by yesterday to pick up the soup and bread for them. Some others at church are also making meals and delivering to them. It's a sad time for them, but that's when friends step up and make sure they are being taken care of. Our church is very caring in this respect.

homecook

Ok, I said I was going to try this bread today. Here are my pics. It may not look pretty but it tasted good!!

Barb

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 231

homecook

Thank you. I guess the bread doesn't look bad, but my attempt at the rolls was another matter. lol They did taste good though, so it's all good!

Barb

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Ok, I said I was going to try this bread today. Here are my pics. It may not look pretty but it tasted good!!

Barb

HEY! How did you get past the black dog to steal that loaf from my freezer in the garage????:lol:

Super job! I should get you involved in the next bread baking class at the church and the next Mission Circle Bake Sale. We can use all the bread bakers we can get. :a1:All the old ladies are dying off, so youngsters like us need to step up top the plate.

(I know your wheat bread is delicious!)

homecook

That sweet friendly dog of yours?? the one that licked my hand?

I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet Joe....it's good to know that we're the "youngsters".

You're bread was really good, John made a roast beef sandwich on one of the rolls. I just slathered mine with butter. Yummy!!

Barb

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
JoeV and Barb, those are some beautiful loaves. I think I'm gonna give this recipe a try one day this week.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I got a batch going right now in the machine (kneed and 1st rise). I am going to divide for one loaf and some dinner rolls.
Hope it turns out as good as Barbs!!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
OK, punched it down and divided. Now some is in a muffin tin to make rolls, the other half in a bread pan for a loaf. I will say it feels 'wetter' and more elastic than I am used to.. is this normal or did I mess up?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
OK, punched it down and divided. Now some is in a muffin tin to make rolls, the other half in a bread pan for a loaf. I will say it feels 'wetter' and more elastic than I am used to.. is this normal or did I mess up?
You probably messed up. How did they turn out?

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I messed up, LOL! They taste good, but the loaf collapsed in the center. The rolls are good and seemed to have turned out fine!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I messed up, LOL! They taste good, but the loaf collapsed in the center. The rolls are good and seemed to have turned out fine!

Hmmmm....sounds like you let it go too long on the second rise. I have started just letting the dough rise about 1-1/2 times in size, and them letting the oven spring do the rest. If you had too much moisture that could do it as well. Did you weigh the ingredients or use volume measure? If you have a mixer, the dough should pull away from the sides of the bowl cleanly, then you knead for a couple minutes just to finish and shape into a ball. When you press two finger into the dough about 3/4" and the holes spring back, the gluten is adequately developed, and no further kneading is required. When I punch down the dough after a one hour rise to shape it into loaves, I don't even have any flour on the counter, and it does not stick. Also, after punch down I divide the dough in half, fold each half into thirds onto itself and then spread it into a square, then tightly roll into a tube, pinch the seam closed, and tuck the ends and seam under the loaf and drop into the pans. There is no additional kneading after the punch down, and no additional flour.

It sounds like a moisture problem, so give it a try with my tecchniques when you get the bug to do it again.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Thanks Joe! Yes, I think it was way to wet. I don't have a scale yet, so I have to go by volume right now. I should have followed my instinct and added more flour in. I may have also let it go too long on the second rise as well.
Thank you for the tips!!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
For reference, here is how the loaf looked. Sorry for the fuzzy pic, this is DW's camera and is a high resolution one so I don't know what is wrong with it... maybe ISO is set to the wrong speed?

Attachments

• DSCF3213.jpg
    DSCF3213.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 148