Ingredients

2 Pork Steaks
2 Portobello Mushrooms (Full Caps)
1 1/2 – 2 cups Chicken broth
3 Tbsp Oil

Flour for dredging (about 1 1/2 cups)
Salt and pepper to taste

Procedure

Clean and trim your Pork Steaks. Next, wash or dip them in water. Now dredge in flour to fully coat and set aside. Save the flour for now!

Cut the Portobello Mushrooms into bite sized pieces.

In a skillet, add 2-3 Tbsp oil. Sauté the mushroom pieces until tender, about 8 minutes. Remove the mushrooms to a paper lined dish. In the skillet, add 2 Tbsp of the dredging flour. Stir constantly to make a “coffee with cream” colored roux. Now slowly add the chicken stock a little bit at a time. Make sure to constantly stir after each small addition. Once all the stock is in, bring back to a boil while stirring, then kill the heat. Now add the mushrooms and stir to incorporate. Finally, pour the gravy off to a bowl, cover, and keep warm.

In a large skillet, heat 1.5 to 2 inches of oil to 375 degrees. Deep fry the floured Pork Steaks on each side until each side is golden brown – about 4 minutes per side.

Remove the golden chops to an oven safe dish. You can stack the chops one on top of the other, so don’t worry about room! Once they both are done and in the dish, pour the gravy and mushroom mixture over them, cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 35 – 45 minutes. Remove from oven, and let sit 5 minutes.

Serve with mashed potatoes and fried squash.

You can take a shortcut here and use a can of CoM soup….which is good too. I love CoM soup! But, follow this recpe once and make that gravy as described from scratch; it really does make a world of difference!

Here’s the label on the Pork Steaks I can get down here.
Raw1.jpg

Here is what they look like after I’ve trimmed the fat ring from the fat cap off. As you can see, this is still a fatty cut.
Raw2.jpg

There was quite a bit of fat to trim!
Raw3.jpg

Bread the Pork Steaks.
Step1-18.jpg

Sauté the mushrooms and set aside.
Step2-13.jpg

Make your Roux with flour and the left over grease/oil.
Step3-11.jpg

Add chicken stock slowly to make gravy and add mushrooms back.
Step4-9.jpg

Fry the Pork Steaks and transfer to oven safe dish.
Step5-9.jpg

Step6-4.jpg

Pour Gravy over the Pork Steaks and bake at 350 covered tightly for 35 - 45 minutes.
Step7-4.jpg

Finally, plate it with some mashed potatoes!
Step8-3.jpg

And in the end, also have some fried squash with it.
F_Squash.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I wish! I just got around to hookng the camera up to the PC. Luckily I got a few good shots. I'm honored that you liked it!

chowhound

Keltin, why all the oil to fry the steaks in? Is there a reason a quick saute/sear wouldn't work? That's a lot of oil to use for one use, at least for me, since I don't save oil. And I refuse to put anything with breading in my deep fryer again (lol). What a mess that was.

I just bought two pork steaks at the store and this is getting made tonight or tomorrow. With white mushrooms though, they were on sale and I forgot you used portobellos anyway (lol).

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, why all the oil to fry the steaks in? Is there a reason a quick saute/sear wouldn't work? That's a lot of oil to use for one use, at least for me, since I don't save oil. And I refuse to put anything with breading in my deep fryer again (lol). What a mess that was.

I just bought two pork steaks at the store and this is getting made tonight or tomorrow. With white mushrooms though, they were on sale and I forgot you used portobellos anyway (lol).

I have a special jug for saving and reusing oil. When you deep fat fry the oil has to be….well……deep. :lol:

It’s the same for my Turkey Fryer. You buy 5 gallons of peanut oil for $40 or more……..so you don’t throw it out after 1 fry!!! You can get several fries out of a batch of oil. Just let it cool, and let the particles settle before you drain it off through cheese cloth. For my Turkey Fryer, I actually have an electric pump to siphon the oil back into the storage jug.

Plus deep frying is good seasoning for the CI skillet.

And I don’t put breaded items in my dedicated deep fryer either. Mostly it is just for French Fries. :biggrin:

As Mama pointed out in the Pork Steak thread, you can skip the breading. Just brown the steaks (just seasoniong but no flour) in a little oil, remove, add onions (or mushrooms) and caramelize. Then make your gravy, then return the steaks to the skillet, cover, and simmer. There are many ways to skin a cat! This particular method I posted is also how I do my beef, pork, and buffalo cube steaks.

Last edited:

chowhound

OK then. Maybe I'll cook them like I do my chicken fried steak, with the exception that I'll add the gravy and stick these in the oven.
Thanks. I'll let you know. Probably tomorrow's dinner.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
OK then. Maybe I'll cook them like I do my chicken fried steak, with the exception that I'll add the gravy and stick these in the oven.
Thanks. I'll let you know. Probably tomorrow's dinner.

Give it a shot!! :thumb: