Hot Diggity Dog....Buns

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Doc asked about making hot dog buns, so I said I would post a sequence of how I make them. this is not my best work, as I was in and out of the house, and did not take as much time as I usually do. I also pushed the second rise, so I lost some volume in the finished product, but this is close enough to show how it's done.

First, I use my Basic White Bread dough for these rolls. You can also use the Buttertop Honey Whole Wheat dough and get similar results if you choose, and even make rye rolls by substituting the wheat flour for rye flour. Whatever floats your watercraft.

After the dough goes thru its first rise and doubles in size, I punch it down and divide the dough into 2-1/2 oz portions. Some are rolled into tight balls, some are rolled into tubes for hot dog buns about 5-6" long.

P1010582.jpg

I allow them to rest about 5 minutes, then roll the hot dog buns to their final length, and take the round dough balls and flatten them with the heal of my hand into a bun shape. All this goes onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and dusted with coarse cornmeal. It's then covered with plastic that is sprayed with cooking spray to keep it from sticking to the buns, and topped with a dish towel. It then is allowed to rise until they about double in size.

P1010583.jpg

About 30 minutes before going in the oven I preheat the oven to 400 F. When the rolls have doubled in size,

P1010585.jpg

I coat them with an egg white wash and sprinkle them with sesame seeds or poppy seeds. Then it's into the oven for 13-15 minutes. While they are in the oven, I them mix a quick highball for medicinal purposes only.

P1010586.jpg

Here they are after their day in the sun.

P1010587.jpg

P1010588.jpg

P1010589.jpg

Calicolady

Perfect, Joe. At first I thought you were dunking the burger rolls into a glass of something, but after reading the caption, realized they were ice cubes. (OMG, please let me win the lottery so I can get my eyes fixed!)(I not kidding, the ice looked like rolls to me.)
Thanks for posting.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great job Joe. Awesome. I'd never considered making our own buns. Do you have any idea how many times I've had to stop special to get fresh buns ....cause frozen ones just are not the same. Now we can make them. So cool. Thanks Joe. :applause: :clap: :tiphat:

(pssst Cali: Me to. Just the top of the glass was showing on the screen and I thought exactly the same ...he's dunking the dough in the egg white wash. :yum: )

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Doc asked about making hot dog buns, so I said I would post a sequence of how I make them. this is not my best work, as I was in and out of the house, and did not take as much time as I usually do. I also pushed the second rise, so I lost some volume in the finished product, but this is close enough to show how it's done.

First, I use my Basic White Bread dough for these rolls. You can also use the Buttertop Honey Whole Wheat dough and get similar results if you choose, and even make rye rolls by substituting the wheat flour for rye flour. Whatever floats your watercraft.

After the dough goes thru its first rise and doubles in size, I punch it down and divide the dough into 2-1/2 oz portions. Some are rolled into tight balls, some are rolled into tubes for hot dog buns about 5-6" long.

P1010582.jpg

I allow them to rest about 5 minutes, then roll the hot dog buns to their final length, and take the round dough balls and flatten them with the heal of my hand into a bun shape. All this goes onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and dusted with coarse cornmeal. It's then covered with plastic that is sprayed with cooking spray to keep it from sticking to the buns, and topped with a dish towel. It then is allowed to rise until they about double in size.

P1010583.jpg

About 30 minutes before going in the oven I preheat the oven to 400 F. When the rolls have doubled in size,

P1010585.jpg

I coat them with an egg white wash and sprinkle them with sesame seeds or poppy seeds. Then it's into the oven for 13-15 minutes. While they are in the oven, I them mix a quick highball for medicinal purposes only.

P1010586.jpg

Here they are after their day in the sun.

P1010587.jpg

P1010588.jpg

P1010589.jpg
Gee, how phallic could you be JoeV?
:yum::yum::yum::yum: Sorry, but you're the one with the tape measure!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Glad I could make your day, Susan. I thought that was a smile on your face.:smile:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Great job Joe. Awesome. I'd never considered making our own buns. Do you have any idea how many times I've had to stop special to get fresh buns ....cause frozen ones just are not the same. Now we can make them. So cool. Thanks Joe. :applause: :clap: :tiphat:

(pssst Cali: Me to. Just the top of the glass was showing on the screen and I thought exactly the same ...he's dunking the dough in the egg white wash. :yum: )

Once the rolls have cooled to room temperature they are bagged and go into the freezer. You can slowly thaw them on the counter or use the nuke to do so. The rolls are never cut until they are ready to be used. This preserves the internal freshness longer.

Glad my highball got a laugh.

chowhound

Geez, if 6" puts a smile on her face......
Oh, nevermind (lol).

About how long to double in size, Joe. The dough that is ;^)

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Geez, if 6" puts a smile on her face......
Oh, nevermind (lol).

About how long to double in size, Joe. The dough that is ;^)

The dough, about 1 hour. The dough maker? That's a trade secret. Have to check with Mrs Dough Boy. You'll know her by the smile on her face.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
The dough, about 1 hour. The dough maker? That's a trade secret. Have to check with Mrs Dough Boy. You'll know her by the smile on her face.

I believe Joe, the other answer requires trade secrets--best you and dw keep that info to yourself. :mrgreen: