Let's Talk ... Sauces, Dips, Gravies Etc.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
This Let’s Talk will focus on Sauces, Dips, Gravies Etc. Anything that you put on something or dip something into etc.

We have some people on this forum that make AMAZING Sauces, Dips, and Gravies.

Please share your tips, techniques and secrets to success.

Pictures and recipes are optional but always welcome.

sauces_gravies_Lets_talk.jpg

Last edited:

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Re: Let's Talk ... Sauces, Dips, Gravies Etc

For sauces, simple slow reduction. Or, build on a solid base and remember, more color, more flavor. Finish with butter!!

Cooksie

Site Supporter

I made this http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=134880&postcount=2 beurre blanc sauce (first one posted) for the first time the other night. It won't be the last time. It was the perfect sauce to go with scallops. I did add some parsley. It's tangy, creamy, and very rich.

It's a tricky little sauce. The sauce was just fine until I put the scallops on top of it (scallops must have been too hot) and it broke just a bit around the edges of the scallops. Lesson learned.

Now I'm thinking about some variations and putting it over fish. Any ideas? I thought about capers, but now that I've tasted the sauce, capers might make it too tart. Maybe some diced tomatoes, or does that make it another sauce altogether?

I also want to try some chimichurri (sp?). Does it go well with anything besides steak?

Cooksie

Site Supporter

For sauces, simple slow reduction. Or, build on a solid base and remember, more color, more flavor. Finish with butter!!

I sometimes add small pieces of frozen butter right at the end.

I made this http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=134880&postcount=2 beurre blanc sauce (first one posted) for the first time the other night. It won't be the last time. It was the perfect sauce to go with scallops. I did add some parsley. It's tangy, creamy, and very rich.

It's a tricky little sauce. The sauce was just fine until I put the scallops on top of it (scallops must have been too hot) and it broke just a bit around the edges of the scallops. Lesson learned.

Now I'm thinking about some variations and putting it over fish. Any ideas? I thought about capers, but now that I've tasted the sauce, capers might make it too tart. Maybe some diced tomatoes, or does that make it another sauce altogether?

I also want to try some chimichurri (sp?). Does it go well with anything besides steak?[/QUOTE]

Like pesto (& cilantro ;-)), I like chimichurri in small doses. You can use it on chicken, pasta, as a marinade, dipping sauce (shrimp or egg rolls might be interesting), pizza etc.

P.S. Speaking of scallops, thought I'd pass this along for the scallop & caper lovers.

Angel Hair Pasta w/ Scallops & Arugula

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/angel-hair-pasta-with-scallops-and-arugula.html

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter

I sometimes add small pieces of frozen butter right at the end.

that is referred to as mounting the sauce.

Buerre Monte (bhure mon'tay) is another butter sauce, not too unlike a Buerre Blanc, but it is a supper simple emulsion of butter and water, a little salt and is GREAT for poaching shellfish, or as a sauce.

Pro Tip: If you have a butter sauce that breaks, ad a couple of drops of cold water and wisk it, it will come right back together

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Pro Tip: If you have a butter sauce that breaks, ad a couple of drops of cold water and wisk it, it will come right back together

Excellent tip, Uncle Ralph! One that I'm sure I'll forget when it happens to me again!

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter

that is applicable to hollandaise, too (uncle ralphs pointer i mean)~

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

WONDERFUL TIPS!!

Cooksie

Site Supporter

CC - thanks for the link. That scallop dish looks delicious.

UR - great tip on how to rescue a sauce. Now, I've got to try poaching something in the Burre Monte, maybe some cod.

QSis - fresh dill is hard to find around here, but that sure sounds good.

I also want to try some chimichurri (sp?). Does it go well with anything besides steak?

When it comes to fish, I like a pretty clean taste, like topping it off w/ a compound butter or salsa, i.e. strawberry/avocado/red onions/lime or lemon juice. I have a bunch of compound butter & various pesto ideas. Will go through my collection.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Well, I had this dip at a friend's (she posts here as "Lee's Bud") potluck party. A party where a lot of great cooks brought some great food. The only person I knew at the party were the hostesses.

I tried just about everything, but this simple little, unassuming dip stood out so much, that I sought out the woman who brought it. Introduced myself, told her how great her dip was, and asked her for the recipe.

She didn't "do the internet", so she took my name and address and sent me the recipe for the dip.

It is unexplainably delicious!

Lee

Jean's Bean Dip

1 can refried beans
1 lg. block cream cheese (softened in microwave)
1 lg. sour cream
1/2 pkg. taco seasoning mix
7 drops Tabasco sauce
1 teas. crushed red peppers
1 pkg. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 pkg. shredded monterey jack cheese

Mix everything except shredded cheeses. Add 1/2 the batter into dish, add the shredded cheeses, top with the other 1/2 of the batter.

Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.

Serve with nacho chips or toasted pita

Avocado Dip
Cream cheese
sour cream
mashed avocado
garlic powder
diced red onion
lime juice or Tabasco
Crabmeat - optional
Top w/ diced tomatoes and shredded Jack cheese, if desired.

Cooksie

Site Supporter

Come Back Sauce
http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=249475&postcount=1

I've never had this, but it's supposed to be so good that it makes you want to Come Back for more. It supposedly originated in Mississippi and is a cross between remoulade and thousand island dressing. It's used as a dip for everything from fries to onion rings to fried chicken tenders. It's also used as a sauce for burgers, crab cakes, and anything else you can think of.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

bumpity.gif

Let's get sauced!! LOL Tiz the season again. Never to early to think about the holidays! Are you making a pot of sauce for the freezer to use later? Making gravy for the holiday bird? What dip will you be serving to keep people from nipping a tugging at the holiday bird or roast?

Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter

frank's-spiked bleu dip fer the veggie tray. maybe another bechamel-based sauce this year, (cheese), fer cooked veggies, if we're havin' broccoli/cauliflower.

devin contributes when i cook, so i'll give him simplistic tasks.
my family, we usually make gravies together. can't fathom a holiday sans a gravy. my Mom & Vinny used jarred. i was so sad!

maybe i'll make a crabmeat dip. my nephews could make that w/ me.

if i stay over, i'll make sausage gravy 'er eggs benedict fer breakfast.

Cooksie

Site Supporter

:bump:

I have been thinking of trying avgolemono sauce over some pan fried flounder. I love lemony, and I've heard people rave about the avgolemono soup. Sauce sounds intriguing...lemony, airy (much more so than hollandaise), creamy, rich...sounds great to me.

I've been looking at different recipes but haven't chosen one yet. Will post it when I do.

I do love fish without sauce, but I eat a lot of fish, so a little variation is needed every once in a while to keep it interesting.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

:bump:

I have been thinking of trying avgolemono sauce over some pan fried flounder. I love lemony, and I've heard people rave about the avgolemono soup. Sauce sounds intriguing...lemony, airy (much more so than hollandaise), creamy, rich...sounds great to me.

I've been looking at different recipes but haven't chosen one yet. Will post it when I do.

I do love fish without sauce, but I eat a lot of fish, so a little variation is needed every once in a while to keep it interesting.

Had to look up that sauce, Cooksie. Yum, looks delicious!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter

All the recipes are basically the same. I think I'm going to use the one in Frugal Gourmet.

Q-Sis, the soup sounds wonderful too.

ETA - Bought some tomatillos and am going to make the burned tomatillo salsa from the Adillo/MexicoKaren link.

K

Kimchee

I've started saving de-fatted pan drippings from roasted or grilled meats. I freeze them flat in a ziplock bag. When I want a burst of flavor, I can break off a piece and toss it in.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter

for brown/dark gravies/sauces, here's my secret....

when I don't have anything else to do.....I make a roux.
and slowly cook it to a brown. this cannot be rushed, this takes time.

no, you really can't just turn up the knob and make it happen faster....

then I form it into a roll, wrap it in aluminum foil, and freeze it.

then, whenever you get some pan juices/whatever and get to salivating over a nice sauce, just whack off a chunk of the frozen dark roux and whisk away.

not thick enough? whack off a bit more of the frozen stuff.... way more faster than making another tablespoon of dark roux from scratch.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Frozen meat drippings I do, but I usually keep them separate. Might be kinda neat to mix them all up and freeze them. Is that what you do, Kimchee?

Frozen roux, ChowderMan???? BRILLIANT!! You ought to send that tip into Cook's Illustrated. Seriously.

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter

First things first. This might sound a little off-topic, but;

I think that the really true secret to making the most perfect gravies & sauces that you can make, starts with the equipment.

It can be a big deciding factor as to how your gravies or sauces come out. First, you might want to acquire one of the pans pictured below.

They are called sauciers (pronounced sacias). They are perfectly flat on the stove's surface and are excellent pieces of equipment for making successful gravies & sauces! I have the first two Emerilware pans pictured below.

But what truly sets them apart from ordinary skillets and pots is that they all have ROUNDED corners on their bottoms. This feature allows you to reach every part of the pan's interior when making your rouxs for gravies and sauces.

A silicone spoonula or wire whip helps to achieve a better tasting perfect gravy because the saucier's round corner let you reach EVERY inch of the pan so that everything gets incorporated into the mixture, and that there are no missed parts of the product, resulting in velvety smooth sauces & gravies. :piesmiley1::eating2:

Attachments

• Saucier 3.jpg
    Saucier 3.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 270
  • Saucier 2.jpg
    Saucier 2.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 264
  • Saucier.jpg
    Saucier.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter

we used sauciers in cooking school. i prefer my plain 'ol clad. or cast iron. a talented person makes a far better sauce than a pan.

Shermie

Site Supporter

Since you STILL have to use a pot or pan anyway, it IS the pot or pan that you use that makes the difference.

I used to use my large cast iron skillet, still do at times, but there is always the chance that the unmixed roux ends up hiding at the bottom in the corner of the pan.

Only finding this out after taking the rest of the gravy out of the pan to store in the fridge! :piesmiley1::eating2:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter

i listened to my Chef advisors. they know.

& when I'm thorough, my roux is excellent in cast iron- attend to those edges.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter

Well, go with your theories. I'm done.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter

they're not theory-- they're proven by, once in awhile, master Chefs. that i've personally met. not to mention my Chef instructors, & trained employers.
when have you cooked w/ a master Chef~ (not a television one- a real one) i have--

Last edited: