Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I don’t do Cell Phones

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I've noticed but there are several things that the show brought about. Here are a few I can think off.

Bridge design which was adapted to modern radar tracking stations.
Mobile phones as I mentioned earlier.
The bed the doctor used is actually being developed by several companies.
The phaser is working and developed by the Air Force.
Voice optional Computers (there where no personal computers when this show came out as it pre dated apple's first kit)
Tri quarter (scanner is being worked on again by several companies).

There are some more just can't remember then at the moment.

chowhound

I've had this one for over a year now. I gave one son my old Razr, which I loved, and got this. It works great, I like the keyboard, and the menus are very user-friendly. I did switch out the battery for and extended battery, so I can talk for hours without the battery dying.

Geez, I would have given you mine. It's been sitting in a box upstairs with other retired earpieces.

chowhound

I was wondering that myself. I think it's closer to a brick, since you can talk without opening the phone. I think it was really designed for texting, but I like the full keyboard when I'm entering things in the calendar or the notepad or just phone numbers. I can even do it without reading glasses!

That style is called a clamshell.

Ironman

🍺
Does anybody still have a blackberry? Lmao, I thought I'd bump this thread to see how times have changed in such a short period of time.

I have an iPhone 6. Replaced my landline with it a few years ago and I'm happy. Looking at replacing my battery because I just don't wanna pay $1000 for a new iPhone. Crazy...

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
iPhones are $1,000???

I still have my flip phone which I rarely use. I'm absolutely fine with that ALMOST all the time.

Lee

Moxie

iPhones are $1,000???

I still have my flip phone which I rarely use. I'm absolutely fine with that ALMOST all the time.

Lee

Not really. New iPhones start at $399, if you buy direct from Apple. You can find deals elsewhere. However, bigger models go up from there. If you get the biggest iPhone7, with 256 GIGABYTES (not sure what you'd do with all that), it maxes out at $969.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Does anybody still have a blackberry? Lmao, I thought I'd bump this thread to see how times have changed in such a short period of time.

I have an iPhone 6. Replaced my landline with it a few years ago and I'm happy. Looking at replacing my battery because I just don't wanna pay $1000 for a new iPhone. Crazy...

10 years ago I had a flip phone. Then a couple smart phones. Now it's a flip phone. For me a phone is a phone. I have what amounts to a permanent tablet in my vehicle for on board internet service. No texting. You want to talk to me pick up the phone, dial the number, and say hello.

Moxie

With my phone I do:

All of my banking
Maintain my client calendar
Manage my FitBit
Take & store my photos
Depend on the GPS
Manage email
Text
Check news updates
Monitor the weather
Check in for flights
Manage boarding passes
Check in to any Hilton chain hotel
Use it for a room key in any Hilton chain
Listen to my favorite music
Use as alarm clock in hotels
Keep my address book
Use the calculator
Use the internet........

Lots more. I think I'd fall apart without my phone. It's an important part of both my business & personal organization. All in one small handful!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I used a flip phone up until Jan 2014 - and I changed to an iPhone only because the (ancient) flip phone would not BlueTooth to the car (surrounding states put thru laws for hands free only...)

the new phones have many convenient functions/advantages - but nothing I couldn't do without.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A co worker still uses a flip phone and he bought a new cell for his wife this last xmas ....you guessed it, he got her a flip phone. LOL

I'm so hooked on my iphone. I can do mobile deposits of checks into my checking or savings account.
Up to date weather forecast at my fingertips anytime.
Camera that is usually with me.
Texting ...both text, pics and movies.
Air drop pics and movies from me to others or from them to me. Then the pics do not lose any of their resolution like they do when you text them.
Handy GPS ...better than the in dash one in my newer car.
Shazam will help me remember who performs any song I hear.
Store and listen to my favorite music.
Blue tooth it to my boat or car stereo.
Plus ...it's a phone. I can store numbers and call people with it.

My kids watch streaming TV or movies and listen to podcasts
They seem to get more out of it than I do, but we all can use it however we see fit.
The flexibility is simply awesome.

Ironman

🍺
I switched my internet and cell service to T-mobile from att (thank God). I have a tower close to me so internet speed is over 300 down an 50+ up. They tried talking me into a new iPhone 14 pro… I just might pull the trigger. It made me realize just how much I depend on my smart phone day to day. For like - everything.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Boy this is an old thread! I remember my Blackberries fondly. I really liked the keyboard. Now I'm pretty good on the iPhone keyboard, but miss the tactile movement of the BB keys.

These days, I really can't function without my phone. Maps, directions, internet, email, texting, weather, etc. I no longer have a home phone, so the only contact I have is my cell.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use my cell phone for GPS, listening to ghost stories on my walks, and in case of emergency. Occasionally, text, but almost always, unless I'm traveling without my laptop, I far prefer using my laptop to email and for everything else mentioned above.

I prefer my landline phone with answering machine to my cell phone.

Lee

Jusa

My husband still has his iPhone 6 as well, lol.

I've got a Samsung S9+, which apparently is outdated according to my kids, lol.

Jusa

I use my cell phone for GPS, listening to ghost stories on my walks, and in case of emergency. Occasionally, text, but almost always, unless I'm traveling without my laptop, I far prefer using my laptop to email and for everything else mentioned above.

I prefer my landline phone with answering machine to my cell phone.

Lee
We still have our landline too! Again, we get mocked by our kids :D

Ironman

🍺
We still have our landline too! Again, we get mocked by our kids :D
I wanted to keep my landline but I couldn’t justify it. I switched my landline number over to my smartphone so I could have it with me wherever I go. I’ve had the number currently on my cell phone for almost 30 years lol.
A smartphone is essential nowadays. I’d be totally lost without it.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had a voip line that was 8 bucks a month. They offered two years for price of one in Sept 2020. It just ran out last month, so no land line for us any longer.

One issue. I set my iPhone to silence all callers if not in my contact list. Works great. And I never / rarely turn on the ringer.
And one step further when the ringer is off the phone does not vibrate. Most of my communication is via text and phone calls go to voice.

But lets say there is an emergency at 2am. I want the phone to ring then, but not for everyone in my contacts list. I found if I put the phone in: do not disturb mode, and only allow folks in my favorites to call I can allow family to call at 2am and no one else.

From the description even when the phone is on silent if they call twice within 3 minutes the phone should ring. However I tested and mine does not even after two or three calls. So, when I plug it in to the charger on my nightstand I have to remember to turn on the sound. Wish I didn't but for now at least that lets me be in touch with family if needed while sleeping. Looking for a better solution, please share if you have one.