Dark Rye

Leni

Does anyone have a good rye bread recipe? I'm looking for either Jewish rye or dark Russian rye. I've got a Zojirushi bread machine that I should start using. I might even get ambitious and start doing it by hand. Who knows? :chef:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I have made this twice now and it is fantastic.

It is a sourdough, but, it is a no knead. Easy to make and great taste.

The recipe has anise, fennel and caraway seeds in it. There is also some orange zest and molasses to make it dark. The mixtures of flavors are guaranteed to please. Your bread machine will stay on the shelf, you won't have to work a lot and the bread will be great.

If you don't have starter, I can send you some. Living where you do it is most likely locally available.

http://breadtopia.com/sourdough-rye-bread/

Leni

Thanks. I knew that you or JVE would be the one with a great recipe. I have a package of San Francisco sourdough starter that I ordered off the web. I don't have fennel seed but I've got everything else. I'll get it tomorrow.

Funny thing. My nephew tried to buy some rye read a couple of days ago. Every store that he went to was out of it.

I've added Breadtopia to my bar. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'm tried of paying high prices for bread. It turns out that I have a lot of different flours because I was making bread at one time.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Here's one me and Homecook make frequently. It's delicious!

Polish Sourdough Rye Bread ~ Chleb Zwykly na Zakwasie

Ingredients:

18.4 oz. Rye sourdough starter ~ 50/50 starter
(Take regular sourdough starter and start building a rye starter from it by feeding 6oz. of white starter with 1/2C of rye flour & same weight of warm water. Build until you have enough for 2-1/3C of starter. It should take you 2-3 days.)

27 oz. Unbleached bread flour
2-1/2t Instant Yeast
1T Salt
10.6 oz. Warm milk
2 lg. eggs at room temperature
2T Molasses
1T Caraway Seeds (optional, but I don't know why you would want to leave it out.)

In the bowl of your mixer combine the starter, warm milk, eggs and molasses. Use paddle to insure all liquids are combined. In a separate bowl combine the bread flour, instant yeast and salt. Start mixer on speed two and add flour until all is combined. Leave on speed two for 6-7 minutes. Dough should pull from sides of the bowl and be free from the bottom of the bowl. Dough should be soft but not sticky. If needed, add flour 1T at a time until dough no longer is sticky. Remove dough from mixer and shape into a ball. Then put it into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. let sit until it doubles in size; about 60-90 minutes.

Remove risen dough and place on a lightly oil misted work surface. DO NOT PUNCH DOWN. Divide dough in half and stretch-fold the dough like you are folding a 3-fold letter. Using your finger tips, shape the folded dough into a square about 6" wide, then tightly roll the dough into the shape of a log. Pinch closed the seam as well and pinch & tuck the ends as well. Place in lightly oiled 9" bread pans and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise about 1-1/2 X, about 45 minutes. You can also make a free form loaf and place on a cornmeal dusted baking sheet. Cover and raise as above.

Preheat oven at 400F. Brush risen dough with egg wash and bake for 30 minutes. Internal bread temperature should be 195-210F. Immediately remove from pans to raised cooling racks. Let rest for 1 hour before slicing to eat. Wait until bread is room temperature (2-3 hours) before bagging and freezing.Bread will be good for 30 days in the freezer, or 5-7 days in sealed bag on your counter.

P1040560_zpsaebc8bd4.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Basic Homemade Rye Bread
By: Joe Valencic​

Ingredients (makes one loaf):
1-1/4 t Instant Yeast
1 T sugar (I use brown sugar)
3 T melted butter
1 Egg
1-1/4 C warm milk (about 110 degrees F) (10-1/2 oz.)
1 1/2 t salt
1 C rye flour (4.6 oz.)
2 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour (12-1/2 oz.)
1 T caraway seeds (or more if you like more seeds)
1 t vegetable oil (to coat bowl and loaf pan)
1 large egg, beaten for egg wash

Directions:
Combine the, sugar, melted butter, egg, and milk in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a mixing whisk. Beat on low speed for 1 minute, then change to dough hook. Combine the salt, rye flour, bread flour, yeast and caraway seeds in a separate bowl and blend well with a spatula, then add to liquid 1 cup at a time. Beat at low speed until all of the flour is incorporated, about 1 minute. Then, beat at medium speed until the mixture forms a ball, leaves the sides of the bowl and climbs up the dough hook. Remove the dough from the bowl. Using your hands, form the dough into a smooth ball. Lightly oil a bowl. Place the dough in the bowl and turn it to oil all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draft-free place until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
(This bread can also be made the old fashioned way by hand, using the traditional methods of blending, mixing, and kneading for 5-8 minutes until smooth and elastic)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 5 1/2 by 9-inch baking pan.
Remove the dough from the bowl and invert onto a lightly floured surface. Deflate dough by pressing your knuckles into the dough. Then gently knead the dough while shaping into a roll as long as your bread pan so that any seams disappear into the dough. Place the shaped roll in the baking pan with the seam side down. Cover with plastic wrap or a plastic bag with the handles tucked under the pan, and set aside in a warm, draft-free place until it doubles in size, about 1 hour. Use a pastry brush to brush the egg lightly over the top of the dough, then put three slashes in the dough at a 45 degree angle about ¼” deep. Bake until lightly brown, about 45 minutes. Immediately remove bread from pan and place on a cooling rack. The loaf should have a hollow sound when tapped on the bottom. If not hollow sounding, put it back in the pan and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches at least 200 degrees F. Allow to cool for a couple hours before slicing.

Rye102812-1.jpg

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I made sourdough last week and made the starter a couple days ahead of time. It's not hard. It was messy though!