Has anyone looked at the lunch menu for the inauguration today?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
All I can say is WOW that is a heck of a lunch. I downloaded all the official recipes and none can't be made at home nor hard to find ingredients either.

Here is the list of the courses and wines below:

First course:

• Steamed Lobster with New England Clam Chowder Sauce
  • Sautéed Spinach
  • Sweet Potato Hay
Second course:

• Hickory-Grilled Bison with Red Potato Horseradish Cake and Wild Huckleberry Reduction
  • Butternut Squash Purée
  • Baby Golden Beets and Green Beans
  • Strawberry Preserve and Red Cabbage
Third course:

• Hudson Valley Apple Pie with Sour Cream Ice Cream, Aged Cheese and Honey Maple Caramel Sauce
  • Artisan Cheeses
Wine:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Not including the wine, it's a whopping 3027 calories :ohmy:

He's gonna need to walk a while in that 40lb. bulletproof coat to burn off those calories :lol:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Not including the wine, it's a whopping 3027 calories :ohmy:

He's gonna need to walk a while in that 40lb. bulletproof coat to burn off those calories :lol:

You are correct about that. I kind of doubt most will eat all of it in a single sitting, well that is if Cris Cristy isn't there. I could make probably 2 weeks of menus out of this single lunch menu for my wife and I that is for sure. :smile:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
could cook that stuff w/ proper tools & enough time. could buy half that stuff.

& TY. meant to put bison on my shopping list. they have that here- kinda dry, so i'll put bacon on the burgers.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
could cook that stuff w/ proper tools & enough time. could buy half that stuff.

& TY. meant to put bison on my shopping list. they have that here- kinda dry, so i'll put bacon on the burgers.

Yes and just as easily swap bison for beef or even horse meat if that was what you wanted. Not much hard to make there or special equipment that I see. The only really expensive stuff is the demi glace which is kind of pricey and of course the lobster. :smile:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
u make buddies w/ fish mongers & the price of lobster drops suddenly. jus' sayin'. wink.

u could make demi-glace urself. takes hours. who cares. food is love.

ps- i've a container of demi-glace in my fridge. it's idle.

rather make my own.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
u make buddies w/ fish mongers & the price of lobster drops suddenly. jus' sayin'. wink.

u could make demi-glace urself. takes hours. who cares. food is love
ps- i've a container of demi-glace in my fridge. it's idle.

rather make my own.

Yes I've made demi glace however rarely have the time to mess with it when I can buy it a few minutes from me that is as good as I can make. As for the lobster I get it on my birthday and wedding anniversary other than that a bit too expensive now that I live in Kentucky. Now when I was in S. Florida I could buy Florida Craw fish as well as many fresh seafoods pretty cheap. Florida Craw fish is every bit as good as Maine lobster too even better if you get a short (6" or less tail) however that could be very expensive is one gets caught with it.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
a few agrees, a few disagrees. those mud-sucking crawdads can stay put.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
a few agrees, a few disagrees. those mud-sucking crawdads can stay put.

Florida Craw Fish are salt water, as large as a Maine Lobster on one big claw instead of two. They actually are as good as or better than Maine especially around 2 to 5 lbs.

Notice the size of the cooler under this. They sure are mud bugs. :smile:

Attachments

• bugs.jpg
    bugs.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 214

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, Joe! I always thought they were little bitty things that you broke in half and sucked out each half in one bite. And had to eat a million of them before getting full.

Never saw anything as big as those ugly monsters!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Wow, Joe! I always thought they were little bitty things that you broke in half and sucked out each half in one bite. And had to eat a million of them before getting full.

Never saw anything as big as those ugly monsters!

Lee

Yes they mud bug type are a fresh water version and basically the same but much smaller. I like them also as the picture below is 50 lbs in the cooler and the other half on the table cooked from my last boil here. My grand daughter brought them back to me from Louisiana her last trip there a while back. She brought us 100 lbs all alive and out off all them had only one found dead in the bunch. They are good too but I prefer shrimp and lobster to them by far. I also love dungeness crab however but not much on crabs such as stone crabs claws, soft shell or Alaskan king crab legs. I will eat them but prefer the Dungeness, shrimp and lobster be it Florida or Maine.

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_3346.JPG
    Copy of IMG_3346.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 250
  • crawfishboil3.jpg
    crawfishboil3.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 175

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
Florida Craw Fish are salt water, as large as a Maine Lobster on one big claw instead of two. They actually are as good as or better than Maine especially around 2 to 5 lbs.

Notice the size of the cooler under this. They sure are mud bugs. :smile:

they try & convince ppl here, not in the know, that that is lobster. i have put on a chef coat to shop. then they know u know. they know me by name @ a few places, now.
:bb:
my Dad luvs those swamp-dwellin' crawdads. mud-suckers. he can have them. & there's not much food i won't @ least try, then usually luv. crawdads would be an exception. 1 was plenty.

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I had no idea there was such a thing as saltwater crawfish. I can see how people could be easily fooled into thinking they were lobster if the top part were removed. I'd eat 'em!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
Yes I've made demi glace however rarely have the time to mess with it when I can buy it a few minutes from me that is as good as I can make. As for the lobster I get it on my birthday and wedding anniversary other than that a bit too expensive now that I live in Kentucky. Now when I was in S. Florida I could buy Florida Craw fish as well as many fresh seafoods pretty cheap. Florida Craw fish is every bit as good as Maine lobster too even better if you get a short (6" or less tail) however that could be very expensive is one gets caught with it.

can i have a peek @ ur recipe fer demi~ tyia
i get d'argantan.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
can i have a peek @ ur recipe fer demi~ tyia
i get d'argantan.

Sure here it is at least the one I've made using a couple times. It is a 3 parts as shown in the recipe with the classic demi glace listing showing the other parts added together to make it.

CLASSIC DEMI GLACE RECIPES - seperated by --------------- for each part of recipe.

DEMI-GLACE
Yield: 1 gallon

1 gallon Espagnole sauce, hot (recipe below)
1 gallon brown stock, hot (recipe below)
1 bouquet garni (recipe below)

In a stock pot, combine the Espagnole sauce, brown stock and bouquet garni, together, over medium-high heat. Bring up to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and a simmer until the liquid reduces by half, about 1 1/2 hours. Skim the liquid occasionally, for impurities. Season with salt and pepper. Strain through a China Cap or tightly meshed strainer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ESPAGNOLE SAUCE
Ingredients:

1 gallon brown stock, hot
1 1/2 cups brown roux
1/4 cup bacon fat
2 cups chopped onions
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup tomato puree
1 bouquet garni

In a stock pot, whisk the hot stock into the roux. In a large sauté pan, heat the bacon fat. Add the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir the tomato puree into the vegetables and cook for about 5 minutes.

Add the tomato/vegetable mixture to the stock/roux mixture. Add the bouquet garni and continue to simmer, skimming as needed. Season with salt and pepper.

Simmer the sauce for about 45 minutes. Strain the sauce through a China cap or tightly meshed strainer.

Yield: 1 gallon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BASIC BROWN STOCK
Ingredients:

8 pounds veal marrow bones sawed into 2-inch pieces
6 pounds beef marrow bones sawed into 2-inch pieces
16 ounces tomato paste
4 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped carrot
2 cups chopped celery
4 cups dry red wine
1 bouquet garni
Salt and pepper
16 quarts of water

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place the bones in a roasting pan and roast for 1 hour. Remove the bones from the oven and brush with the tomato paste.

In a mixing bowl, combine the onions, carrots, and celery together. Lay the vegetables over the bones and return to the oven. Roast for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and drain off any fat.

Place the roasting pan on the stove and deglaze the pan with the red wine, using a wooden spoon, scraping the bottom of the pan for browned particles. Put everything into a large stockpot. Add the bouquet garni and season with salt.

Add the water. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer the stock for 4 hours, skimming regularly. Remove from the heat and strain through a China cap or tightly meshed strainer.

Yield: about 2 gallons

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOUQUET GARNI

Using Fresh Ingredients:
1 bay leaf
3 sprigs thyme
4 large sprigs parsley (including stalks)
10 cm (4 inch) piece celery stalked with leaves
two 10 cm (4 inch) pieces leek (green part)

Preparation:

Place the bay leaf, thyme, parsley and celery on one piece of green leek. Cover with the remaining piece of green leek. Tie securely with fine string, leaving a length of string attached so that the bouquet garni can be easily retrieved.

or

Using Dried Ingredients:

1/4 cup dried parsley (classic ingredient)
2 Tablespoons dried thyme (classic ingredient)
2 Tablespoons dried bay leaf (classic ingredient)
2 Tablespoons dried rosemary (optional ingredient)

Preparation:

Combine parsley, thyme, bay leaf, and rosemary in a bowl. Place in an airtight container. Store in a cool, dark place away from heat sources. Use within 6 months.

Bouquet garni is good with meats and vegetables. Traditionally, this mixture is tied up in cheesecloth for easy removal after flavoring.