The Asian Market

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Went to the Asian Market today. Got a 1 oz bag of Saffron flower for a whopping 1.29! I highly doubt it’s the pure stigma of regular saffron, but is instead mostly ground parts of the flower. Still though, it smells just like saffron, and you can’t beat that price.

The soy sauce is a huge 33 oz bottle for 3.49. Wonderful flavor. A hint of sweetness up front finished with a rich and dark saltiness that you know and love (but far deeper and more complex than Kinkoman or others of such ilk).

Saffron_1.jpg

Soy_1.jpg

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've seen that saffron here also just never tried it. I buy the real thing locally though no where near that cheap. An ounce is probably closer to $100 instead of $2. As for the soy sauce again I've seen it but haven't tried it yet. I'm working my way through their soy sauces slowly but surely. I use both light and dark in my cooking so as I run out I replace with another brand until I find the ones I like best.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We do the same with the Soy. This is the third brand/type we've tried from there. The first was incredible, the second was rather dark and salty, and this one is very complex. I'm loving it.....but I wish I could remember the first one I bought. If only I could read those labels! :lol:

I typically don't like saffron. I tried some saffron rice a few years back and HATED it. But at this price, and knowing how much saffron typically costs, I HAD to get it at least for the picture. I figure I'll try it in a recipe soon to see if I really do hate saffron or if that was just a bad recipe.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yellow rice is nothing but white rice with saffron added which I love and buy it already that way. My favorite brand is Griggs yellow rice. The problem with most people using saffron is they add way more than they need which can then become a bit over powering similar to dill. I get the actual saffron and several strands is more than enough for a few cups of rice for example.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Yellow rice is nothing but white rice with saffron added which I love and buy it already that way. My favorite brand is Griggs yellow rice. The problem with most people using saffron is they add way more than they need which can then become a bit over powering similar to dill. I get the actual saffron and several strands is more than enough for a few cups of rice for example.

Thanks Joe, I'll try a simple fried rice recipe with this saffron and see what happens!