Carabba's mussels kopykat recipe

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
4 C. mussels
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. chopped yellow onion
2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
2 Tbsp. pernod (licorice- flavored liqueur from France)
1 to 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
Juice of 1/2 lemon (may need to eliminate)
3/4 C. Lemon Butter Sauce (recipe follows) (I like to double this as I like lots of sauce and use nice crusty country style bread to soak it up.)

Soak mussels in cold water for several minutes, then scrub with a stiff brush and remove beard (the little tuft of fibers protruding from the shell), either with a sharp knife or by pulling on it with a damp cloth. Rinse mussels again in cold water.

Heat olive oil in a 10-inch skillet; add mussels. Cover with another 10-inch skillet or lid and cook until shells begin to open, about 2 minutes. Remove top and add onion and garlic and toss. Cover pan again and cook for 1 minute. Remove top and add pernod, basil, lemon juice and lemon butter sauce. Return to flame for 30 to 45 seconds with top off skillet. Discard any mussels that did not open.

Serve in a deep bowl.

Makes 2 servings.

LEMON BUTTER SAUCE: see above note about doubling.

2 Tbsp. clarified butter (you'll need about 1/2 stick butter; directions follow)
2 Tbsp. finely chopped yellow onion
2 Tbsp. finely chopped garlic
6 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice *(I cut down lemon juice to 4 as was too tart and acidy for me)
2 Tbsp. dry white wine
Kosher salt
White pepper
2 Tbsp. cold butter

To clarify butter: Melt 1/2 stick butter over low heat. When melted, remove from heat and set aside for several minutes to allow the milk solids to settle to the bottom. Skim the clear (clarified) butter from the top and discard sediment. (This can be done ahead.)

To make sauce: Heat clarified butter, add onion and garlic and saute until transparent. Add lemon juice and white wine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer 2 to 3 minutes to reduce liquid. Remove from heat and swirl in cold butter until sauce is smooth and emulsified.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmm this looks good to me (minus the pernod)!

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Mmmm this looks good to me (minus the pernod)!

Lee

You don't taste the licorice, but need it for the flavor to be right. We use anisette or Sambuca a lot because they are easier to find and come in the little bottles. I don't like licorice, and I'm assuming you don't either?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You don't taste the licorice, but need it for the flavor to be right. We use anisette or Sambuca a lot because they are easier to find and come in the little bottles. I don't like licorice, and I'm assuming you don't either?

Karen, I kinda like licorice candy once in a decade, but I don't want the flavor in anything else.

Lee