Garage Sale Finds!

leolady

I was minding my own business trying to catch the electrician at home when I ran across a small garage sale.

Of course I just had to stop!:whistling:

At the very back was a antique iron ice cream parlor set that I just loved! The chairs have arm rests, but the wood seats need repair/replacement. The table is missing the top, but the entire set including an appropriate size round mirror was only $25! :ohmy: And that included an antique iron floor lamp in great shape!

The table looks like this but with armrests!

directfrommexico_2059_12392257.gif

It will look so cute painted white with upholstery and tablecloth to match my window valances -- sitting in a tiny corner of the kitchen. It will give me a spot to eat breakfast or read a cookbook!

Did I get a great deal or what?:huh:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Oh, that's so pretty, LL. I can picture it in your charming bungalow kitchen, freshly painted with a couple of beautiful, yellow print cushions on the seats. Have you thought about making a tile mosaic top for the table? Maybe using shards of pretty, broken pottery? I've always wanted to try that.

leolady

I may do a mosaic thing later, but for now, I am thinking of a particle board or plywood top, then a cute little tablecloth, with the mirror on top to protect the tablecloth and for easy cleaning.

The unframed vintage mirror I bought at the garage sale is the exact size for the table and has a beveled edge. It will also reflect light from the windows and add brightness to the room.

I looked at the tile floor and matching chrome edged counter tops today. They are a rusty red, and are in good shape, so I see no reason to replace them so I have to work with them. They look like this.

1948-st-charles-kitchen-1-1-1.jpg

So, since I have this fabric already, I think I will use it for the valances over the vintage wide white venetian blinds and the seat cushions and tablecloths.

eda8_1-1.jpg

BT9OTTQWkKGrHgoH-DgEjlLl0b6BKLGD-1.jpg

I can't afford to fix what isn't broken, so a lot of my choices are going to change depending on the bargains I find and what I discover is salvagable in the house.

I will spend some money on back splashes though. I will use this type of stuff cause it is easier than tiling.

TINBACKSPLASH-1.jpg

And if I can afford it, I will put it on the ceiling too.

I was given one of these type of folding shelves [mine is white], so I will use it when I need a cooling rack, and fold it up when not in use.

FOLDINGBAKERSRACK-1.jpg

Walmart sells these rods for $10 each, so I will use them all through the house.

CHROMECURTAINROD.jpg

There are two light fixtures similar to the photo in the house, so I will use them in the kitchen -- painted white.

BS1YluQWkKGrHgoOKj0EjlLmRc54BKFL-1.jpg

Last edited:

Jetta_gal

My mom and I like to do second-hand shopping. :D You can find so many cool things!

My mom went to a church sale this morning and found a 1963 edition of "The Joy of Cooking" for me. I have a 1971 edition already.

She also found a small stock pot. I can't remember the brand (it wasn't a well known one) but looks nice and the bottom is heavy and has the thick slab for good heat distribution. Need something to make in it ;)

Shermie

Site Supporter
I was minding my own business trying to catch the electrician at home when I ran across a small garage sale.

Of course I just had to stop!:whistling:

At the very back was a antique iron ice cream parlor set that I just loved! The chairs have arm rests, but the wood seats need repair/replacement. The table is missing the top, but the entire set including an appropriate size round mirror was only $25! :ohmy: And that included an antique iron floor lamp in great shape!

The table looks like this but with armrests!

It will look so cute painted white with upholstery and tablecloth to match my window valances -- sitting in a tiny corner of the kitchen. It will give me a spot to eat breakfast or read a cookbook!

Did I get a great deal or what?:huh:

Great find! Table for Two, please. And I'd like to sit by a window, please. :smile:

leolady

Great find! Table for Two, please. And I'd like to sit by a window, please. :smile:

There is only one table, and it is in the kitchen, but you have to agree the food is delicious and the wait staff and cook is charming and beautiful.:lol:

My buddy Mixfinder says I remind him of an African queen [not the boat or the movie].:biggrin:

Soul food is on the menu!:a1:

leolady

I have been listening to Luther Vandross and Isaac Hayes all morning. Will that do for you Sherman?

Mellow soul at its' best.

Shermie

Site Supporter
You're doing great!! Haha!!

And I like your pic of the retro kitchen as well, the one with the boy & his mom at the counter!

Who was that that once said Retro is out of style? It's come back with a vengeance and people are attracted to it likw never before!! Costs a bit though to do it, but the work pays off!

Is that a Retro stove in your sig? Never mind, just read it for the 1st time. Hehe!

Last edited:

leolady

The man loves soul food, Luther, Isaac, and retro/vintage furnishings!

Please come live with me and be my love!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Only if you are plump short and Afro-American.

Not a racist, but I like short plump black women. Haha!!

leolady

I'm gonna do like Fred Sanford and crack open the Ripple! Ripple on ice, that's nice....

Or if I'm feeling ritzy, break out the wine coolers like Lamont Sanford.

Jus kidding yall!

Shermie

Site Supporter
How about tall plump and afro american? Shall we adjourn to PM?

I guess we can ajourn to pm, but I still like and got a thing for short and fat dark Afro-American women better. but I guess you'll do.

Mix the Ripple with some champaign and call it Champipple, like Fred calls it. Hehe!! :wink:

leolady

I got an idea! Tell me if you think it is good or bad.:confused:

I have just loads of aqua glass canning jars, some I will use for canisters. But that still leaves a lot left over, so I was thinking......

Rather than replacing the white glass shades on my antique fixtures what about using canning jars?

BS1YluQWkKGrHgoOKj0EjlLmRc54BKFLWuG.jpg

BALL.jpg

And I just bought 3 of these wall lights for the kitchen.

18ca_1-1.jpg

BALL.jpg

Will this look dumb?:huh:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Those chairs with the heart shaped backs - we had a set of four standard height in the 50's. Mom painted each chair a different color. Great memories for me and what a find for you LL.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
I guess we can ajourn to pm, but I still like and got a thing for short and fat dark Afro-American women better. but I guess you'll do.

Mix the Ripple with some champaign and call it Champipple, like Fred calls it. Hehe!! :wink:

that is the worst thing you can say to a woman!!!!:twak::yum::yum:

leolady

Thanks for sharing your memory of these chairs with me Buzzard!

And Texasgirl, you are right. "You'll do" is the death knell for relationships before they even start.