Question

Lefty

Yank
If you were walking down the road and you found a bag with $100,000 in it and no way of finding out who the owner was, would you keep it? :whistle:

What would you do???

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Based on what you said I would keep it. Now if I knew where it came from I would return it but you said no way of finding the owner didn't you. I sure wouldn't give it to the cops or the government so they could keep it.

buckytom

Grill Master
like joe said, if there were no way to find the owner, i'd definitely keep it.

a few grand would go for gifts for my family, a few would go for a vacation, dw would get a new car, and the rest goes to my boy's college fund.

Calicolady

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, it was dropped from heaven with my name on it.
And like mom always said, "Someone's gotta be happy, why not you?".
I'd sure try.
Now if I found it say in a cab, that's another story.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
well the first answer would be yes i would keep it like joec said

but i would feel guilty about it until i knew for sure that the owner couldnt be found(which is very unlikely nowadays..lol)

PanchoHambre

I would keep it.... IF there was no way of finding the owner... around here it would most likely be drug money so I would have to be sure nobody knew or I would get a cap in the A$$

Here is a true story of found money though involving a friend of mine...I don't know If I would have been so good a person

One late night at a local bar he was a regular at my friend kicked an envelope on his way to the restroom. He picked it up and found it contained several grand in cash. Looked around did not see anyone looking for it so he pocketed it... it was pretty much the end of the night.. he was drunk and went home.

The next day he went to the bar and asked the bartender (whom he knew) if anybody had lost anything in the bar the previous night without giving specifics. The bartender said indeed one of the waitresses had lost an envelope of cash that she had been intending on sending back to her family in Ireland. My friend went home got the envelope and turned it over to the waitress. ... end of story

Sort of..

A few years later the bar burned down... the owners decided not to rebuild. I was discussing this with another friend I knew from the neighborhood and how we had really like that bar. I started telling him the story of the envelope... he stopped me and said.... that was my sister... that was my money! He was so grateful to my other friend for having returned it. On both sides these were not people who could afford to loose several thousand dollars my friend who returned the money was struggling financially and the people he returned it to were hard working young immigrant kids.

Anyways it is rare to me to find good honest people on both sides of the equation. It was nice to know that the person whom that money got returned to was a good and deserving person.

I am not sure I would have done the same in my friends situation. If I had not and years later related the story of how I found several grand on the floor of a bar once It would have come back around on me quite badly.

The Tourist

Banned
Let me give you a word of advice--turn it in.

If it belongs to a bank, the cops are out looking for it.

If it belongs to the mob or the 'bangers, they're out looking for it.

Do you follow the logic?

Edit: And if your spending patterns change, the IRS will be investigating it...

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
When you turn the money into the police, if no one claims it, in time it will become yours. It may take a while before the funds come back to you and there is paperwork to fill out and you should get a receipt, too. This is what I would do.

If I had lost the money, I would hope that someone would be honest enough to do the same thing.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'd turn the money over but keep the bag. I like bags.

LOLOLOL, shirt!

Wow, I was just about to log off, since my lunch break is over, and I clicked on Lefty's "Question". Good thread and great answers!

My initial reaction is to say "I'd keep it", but Tourist has a good point that I might be in a WORLD of trouble if I kept it.

Also, I loved Pancho's story - if I couldn't keep it, that's what I'd want to happen.

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'd turn it in to the police. I'd feel guilty if I just kept it.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I'd turn it in to the police. I'd feel guilty if I just kept it.

I'm with you Mama. This happened to me once about 20 years ago. I was out jogging, turned the corner and there in the front lawn of this house was money strewn all over. I looked around and no one was there so I picked it up, stashed it in my shorts, ran home and called the police.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Then, with the speed of a gazelle, I grab the money and make for home...money like this you hide beneath the mattress.

I'm a believer in karma...and at some point, all my good karma is going to come right back to me in the form of a big ol bag of ill gotten booty.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
With the parameters stated, I woul dkeep it. A donation to the church and not look back.

I am sorry to say that I no longer trust the authorities to give it back if not clainmed.

If there was a hope in ____ of finding the rightful owner, I would return it to the owner.

AC

Wart

Banned
Does anyone think a Dealer or the Mafia is going to be happy with someone turning over a chunk of Cash to the Authorities?

They come looking and I see nothing, I know nothing. Except, maybe, a sac of weed?

I would put it in my safe and wait to see who comes looking. Or what I hear.

After long enough It's a debt free Mark. And I'm not worried about changing my spending habits. Total apparent outgo would not exceed apparent income. But then I'm use to living under the radar.

Last edited:

The Tourist

Banned
Could you really enjoy the money looking over your shoulder every time you spent a dime?

Or want to pay the consequences for that "one time" you forgot?

YeOldeStonecat

A bag with no name on it, like Dunbar or Wells Fargo or some other money transport that does bank money runs? I'd probably keep it.

"Pay it forward"....good movie.

Donations to good causes, one heck of a neighborhood party, spread the wealth. "Robin Hood"

Even if it did have a name of a money transport company on it..they're insured.

I wouldn't have faith in the legal system if I turned it into the police. Plus uncle sam would want to step in and take a cut I'm sure.