ISO a DIFFERENT Scotch

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My father never has any other cocktail besides Scotch and water. He drinks the cheap stuff, saying that he can never taste any difference, no matter how expensive the Scotch.

He and I have a telephone tradition of toasting our departed loved ones every Friday night. I have my special Friday Night Martini and Dad just has his every day Scotch and water.

I'd like to give him a special Scotch for the Friday night toasts.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a brand of Scotch that DOESN'T taste the same, with water, as every other Scotch?

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, that's GREAT, Moxie!

I've written down all of the "under $50" recommendations and alternatives and will peruse my local packie.

I'm particularly interested in the Ledaig 10 year old, as it's the "harshest" of the recommended brands. Dad likes harsh. He says the mellow and mild is wasted on him, since he drinks Scotch with water.

He's 85 and I don't believe he's ever tried a single malt Scotch.

Thanks so much!

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was going to suggest Glenfiddich. Dewars, Johnny Walker (Red and Black) are all good.
What a great list Moxie. I had not heard of the majority on the list but plan to try a couple next chance i get.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
going out on a generality here....the single malts tend to have more character than "blends" - as he likes a stiff upper drink... I'd go with the Glenfiddich.

the smoothest I've tripped over of late is the Johnny Walker Gold - at $70+/bottle, it is a candidate for once an week (g)

Johnny West

I keep on hand Glenfiddich, Glenlivit, Laphroig, and Famous Grouse. Grouse is my favorite and considered the most popular everyday scotch in Scotland. I'm not all that fond of Laphroig as it is too overpowering with peat and smoke for my tastes. I know I'm not any help - although I keep a supply I rarely drink it and consider it a treat when I do.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, when I went to the package store, I looked at all of them and chose a smaller bottle of Glenfiddich, to see if he likes single malt at all.

Father's Day isn't for another couple of months, but I'll report how well he likes it.

Thanks for your help, guys!

Lee

Attachments

• Dad and Scotch.JPG
    Dad and Scotch.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 194