I need ideas!!!!!!!

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Ok... so I have bacon, pork stew (see photo below... its pig leg meat and its good!) many types of vinegars, tomatos, canned crushed tomatos, chipolte sauce, green tomatillo sauce.... lord.... a bunch of vegi's.....

I dont know what to do with the pork! :ohmy::sad:

Attachments

• PICT1058.JPG
    PICT1058.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 116
  • PICT1059.JPG
    PICT1059.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 116

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This chili recipe using pork is wonderful! One of two excellent recipes I make from these guys.

Adapt to include whatever you have on hand.

Lee

All Day Pork Loin Chili
Recipe courtesy Dan Smith and Steve McDonagh
Show:
Party Line with the Hearty Boys
Episode:
Game Day Gathering

8 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 pounds boneless pork loin, cut into 2-inch cubes
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 Spanish onion, cut into 1-inch dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch dice
3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
3 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup prepared black coffee
1/2 cup bourbon
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
1 cup sour cream, for serving
1 small can sliced or chopped jalapenos, for serving
2 cups shredded cheddar, for serving

Pour 4 tablespoons of the oil into a large, heavy bottomed stockpot and place over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Season the pork with a dash of salt and pepper and brown it in batches, 3 to 5 minutes per batch. Set aside the browned pork.
Pour the remaining oil into the pot and add the onion, garlic, bell pepper and jalapenos. Season the veggies with the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper and cilantro. Sweat the vegetable mixture over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the onion is soft. Add the pork back to the pot along with the tomatoes, honey, coffee, bourbon. Add the beans, stir well, bring up to a simmer and then lower the heat to the lowest setting.
Let simmer 2 to 3 hours, until the pork is juicy and buttery soft. Serve directly from the stovetop with side bowls of sour cream, sliced jalapenos, and shredded cheddar.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Here's a really neat site that can help you figure it out. You just type in the ingredients that you have on hand and it will give you recipes. If you then click on all of the ingredients that you definitely want to use, it will give you recipes using those ingredients. You can even choose for it to display recipes using ONLY the ingredients you choose. Take the video tour and it will explain how it works a lot better than I can. It's a really cool website. I have it Bookmarked. Supercook

Last edited:

Deadly Sushi

Mmmm...... great ideas!!!

What do ya'll think about me chopping those pork pieces into small pieces that I can wrap a strip of bacon around? And then.... maybe a tomato-based sauce with chiplotle?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I think the "pig in a pig blanket" idea is a great one, as long as the bacon is crispy without the pork being dried out.

So, I'd brine the pork, wrap it in bacon, then grill or roast the bundles until the bacon is crispy.

In order to keep the bacon from getting soft, you'd have to use the sauce as a dipper, or just drizzle it over at the last minute.

Lee

Deadly Sushi

I think the "pig in a pig blanket" idea is a great one, as long as the bacon is crispy without the pork being dried out.

So, I'd brine the pork, wrap it in bacon, then grill or roast the bundles until the bacon is crispy.

In order to keep the bacon from getting soft, you'd have to use the sauce as a dipper, or just drizzle it over at the last minute.

Lee

DONE!!!!! :D

thanks again folks!!! :D