How to Speak like Frank Sinatra!

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Part of Sinatra’s manly and cool presence came from the way he talked. See, Frank had a way of livening up every part of life, even the English language. He peppered casual conversations with phrases and words that to the uninitiated sounded like a bunch of gibberish. Yet it left people intrigued, and wanting to be part of the seemingly exclusive fraternity that used this secret lingo. It not only created a magnetic attraction, but simply sounded damn cool.
Below is a dictionary of the secret man language of Frank Sinatra. Throw a few of these words into your conversations among friends. You’ll probably get a few raised eyebrows but like Frank, you’ll add spark to even the most mundane interactions.

Bag — As in “my bag,” a person’s particular interest.
‘Barn burner — A very stylish, classy woman.
Beard — A male friend who acts as a ‘cover,’ usually for extramarital affairs.
Beetle — A girl who dresses in flashy clothes.
Big-leaguer — A resourceful man who can handle any situation.
Bird — A euphemism sometimes used in reference to the pelvic section.
Bombsvllle — Any kind of failure in life.
Broad — Affectionate term for a girl or woman with sex appeal.
Bum - A person who is despised, most frequently linked to people in the media.
Bunter - A man who fails in almost everything he does, the opposite of gasser.
Charley - A general term for anyone whose name has been forgotten. See also Sam.
Chick - A young and invariably pretty girl.
Clam-bake - A party or get-together.
Clyde - A word used to cover a multitude of personal observations: viz “I don’t like her clyde” means “I don’t like her voice,” etc.
Cool - A term of admiration for a person or place. An alternative word meaning the same thing is crazy.
Creep - A man who is disliked for any reason whatsoever.
Crumb - Someone for whom it is impossible to show respect.
Dame - A generally derogatory term for a probably unattractive woman. The word dog is also sometimes substituted.
Dig - A term of appreciation for a person or thing, as in “I dig her,”
Dying - As in “I’m dying” which means “I’m slightly upset.”
End - A word to signify that someone or something is the very best.
Endsville - A term to express total failure, and similar to bombsville. See ville.
Fink - A man who cannot be relied upon, whose loyalties are suspect.
First base - The start of something, usually applied in terms of failure when someone has failed to reach it.
Fracture - As in “That fractures me,” meaning “That’s an amusing joke.”
Gas - A great situation as in “The day was a gas.”
Gasoline - A term for alcohol, more specifically, Frank’s favourite drink, Jack Daniel’s Bourbon Whisky.
Gasser - A man or woman highly admired, considered to be the best or “The End!”
Gofer - Someone who does menialjobs or runs errands, as in “go for drinks,” etc.
Good night all - A term of invective to change the subject of conversation.
Groove - As in “in the groove,” a term of admiration or approval.
Harvey - A man or woman who acts in a stupid or naive fashion; sometimes shortened to a “Harve.”
Hacked - A word used to describe someone who is angry, as in “He’s hacked off.”
Hello! –A cry of surprise to no one in particular when a beautiful woman is seen.
Hunker - A jack-of-all-trades rather like the gofer.
Jokes - A term used to describe an actor’s lines in a film script.
Let’s lose Charley - A term used among intimates who want to get rid of a bore in their company.
Locked-up - As in “All locked-up,” a term for a forthcoming date or engagement, private or public.
Loser - Anyone who has made a mess of their life, drinks too much, makes enemies, etc.
Mish-mash - Similar to loser but refers specifically to a woman who is mixed up.
Mouse - Usually a small, very feminine girl who invites being cuddled.
Nowhere - A term of failure, usually applied to a person, viz “He’s nowhere.”
Odds - Used in connection with important decisions, as in “The odds aren’t right,” meaning not to go somewhere, accept anything or buy something.
Original loser - A man or woman without talent; sometimes more fully expressed as “He (she) is the original Major Bowes Amateur Hour loser.”
Platinum - Having a big heart, generous. “You’re platinum, pussycat!”
Player - Term for a man who is a gambler by nature, who makes friends easily, and never gives up trying.
Punks - Any undesirable, in particular mobsters, gangsters or criminals.
Quin - Derisive term for any girl or woman who is an easy pick-up.
Rain - As in “I think it’s going to rain” indicating that it is time to leave a dull gathering or party.
Ring-a-ding - A term of approval for a beautiful girl, viz “What a ring-a-ding broad!”
Sam - Used in the same way as Charley for a person whose name has been forgotten, most often applied to females.
Scam - To cheat at gambling, as in “Hey, what’s the scam?”
Scramsville - To run off.
Sharp - A person who dresses well and with style.
Smashed - A word used to describe someone who is drunk. On occasions it has been replaced with “pissed.”
Square - A person of limited character, not unlike a harvey.
Swing - v. To hang out and drink, smoke, sing, generally get real loose.
Tomato - As in “a ripe tomato” a woman ready for seduction or even marriage.
Twirl - A girl who loves dancing. An alternative word with the same meaning is a “Twist.”
Ville - A suffix used to indicate changes in any given situation. See endsville, etc.
Wow-ee wow wow- An expression of glee, joyful anticipation and a euphemism for lubricious fun.