Out of the loop....

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow, I'm really out of the loop. Did anyone else know they changed the Penny design last year (2009)?

With debit cards so prevalent, I hardly ever have cash anymore, and haven't seen a penny in I don't know how long. Never saw this on the news (not that I watch news that much). I completely missed this!

I just found out about it last night in an AD that was included with the Omaha Steak order. The AD was from the mint, and they were offering 4 Philadelphia minted Pennies, 4 Denver minted Pennies, and 1 new 2008 Penny. All uncirculated, and it came with a cardboard sleeve for display. All of this for only $3.99 and free shipping!

Man, I've got to figure out how to get in on that racket. You send me 4 dollars and I send you 9 cents!! Yeah, here I come eBay!!! :yum:

http://www.coinnews.net/2008/09/22/lincoln-penny-design-images-for-2009-circulating-cents-4359/

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, I want in on that market too. :thumb: :yum:

I hate to be without cash. I use my debit card plenty (for gas inparticular) but small purchases I prefer cash. I know where you are coming from though ...I end up lending a little here and there to younger co workers who do not carry cash. They think it helps them save. I suppose it might but it's all mind games to me. I spend it either way but prefer some green stuff in my pocket.

And ...even carrying cash, I had no clue about the new penny.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Hey, I want in on that market too. :thumb: :yum:

I hate to be without cash. I use my debit card plenty (for gas inparticular) but small purchases I prefer cash. I know where you are coming from though ...I end up lending a little here and there to younger co workers who do not carry cash. They think it helps them save. I suppose it might but it's all mind games to me. I spend it either way but prefer some green stuff in my pocket.

And ...even carrying cash, I had no clue about the new penny.

You know, not carrying cash can actually make you spend more….either that or do without.

I HATE to use the debit card for a dollar or two and just won't do it. And of course, there are some stores in my area that won't let you use a debit card for purchases under $5.00.

So, when I want a Coke or Bottle of water that costs 1.07 with tax, I either do without, or I go in the store and grab other stuff so that my purchase is greater than 5 dollars. But, if I had been carrying cash, I would have spent only the amount for the drink.

Hmmmm….ok, I just went down to the coupon machine and got a Yuppie Food Coupon to avoid this little problem! :lol:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=yuppie+food+coupons

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I always use cash, too, except for gasoline and online purchases. In my case, I started using this as a tool to teach my kids about money. It helped them to understand that there is a finite amount of money and they didn't ask for as many little, impulse things at the store. It makes money real instead of "something that the bank gives you".

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I must admit I had to have a chat with mine when they said that the bank will just give you more money.

Newnork1978

Wait a second...I thought they were contemplating eliminating the penny all-together. Since when did they decide to make a new penny?

I generally don't carry cash, but then again, I don't generally buy things or go shopping. My debit card works well for gas and groceries. But even when I did carry cash, I avoid carrying pennies (or most coins, for that matter) because they can weigh down a purse or wallet very quickly. I admit I don't pay attention to coins...it took me quite some time to notice when they started making those quarters for every state. Heh! :wink: