Does anyone know about Ragdoll cats?

buckytom

Grill Master
dw is on a mission to get another cat after the loss of out beanbean last week. i was hoping we'd just go to a shelter and rescue a little furball, but she's decided she wants to explore getting a purebred cat called a ragdoll. they're supposed to be big, and lazy, and furry, and sweet. most importantly, they live 20+ years and they have few health issues which is good for a pure breed.

ok, so, does anyone have any experience with the breed ragdolls, or possibly are owned by one?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I don't know anything about that breed, BT, although I think I've had cats like that - huge and floppy. BTW - most domestic short hairs or domestic long hairs have an average lifespan of 15-20 years if they are indoor cats and neutered.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
We have one. She is sweet, but dumb. That tends to be a trait that's common, but not advertised much. She can be loveable, but only on her own terms. If you try to put her on your lap she will run,but an hour later she will be all over you.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't have any personal experience with the breed, BT, but what I have learned about them is just what you've said. I don't think you can go wrong with a Ragdoll (see last photo). They are typically have similar coloring as Siamese cats.

I'm a total sucker for short-haired grey tiger cats, so that's what I must have. I always adopt "mutts" from the shelter.

I do also love Scottish Folds with their folded over ears and huge eyes (they come in all colors), and I am a softie for any bobtail cat (also, all colors), and among the most beautiful cats in my opinion are the Silver Tabbys (grey tigers, but some have wonderful whorls on the sides).

I'm glad you and your DW are getting another kitty!!!

Lee

Scottish Fold

Silver Tabby

Attachments

• Ragdolls.jpg
    Ragdolls.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 113

buckytom

Grill Master
that's very interesting, robsan. thanks. hmmm, i don't think i mind pretty but dumb. :)

lol, lee. the scottish fold looks like it should be sayin', "ach, what arrrrrre yooo loookin' at? ach, ach. sorry, hairrrrball."

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oooo! Rob, please post a picture of your Ragdoll!

Lee

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Sure! I give you Sunshine, aka Sunny, aka Sunny Bunny, aka Bun Bun Kitty, aka Sun-A-Bun, aka etc...

nc01893.jpg

nc01889.jpg

nc01886.jpg

nc01839.jpg

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I have a vampire kitty, too. He's solid black and his top canines are too long so they stick out all the time.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
My daughter's ragdoll, Tooter. Al 23# of him.

Attachments

• tooter1.jpg
    tooter1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 108
  • tooter2.jpg
    tooter2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 99

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I was looking into the ragdolls at one point, but never got one. Max moved in, instead:clap:.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here are 3 of my 4. The grey stripped are both litter mates and manx cats (no tail or a bob tail) the other is the Russian Blue we took in back in June. The vet said all 3 are close to 3 years old in age and all three should make it 20 years. Now the kitten we just took in just went through her first heat so if we keep her we will get her fixed in about 2 weeks. She is about 6 to 8 months old and the first chance I catcher her sleeping in the open I will snap her picture. When she is a wake she isn't still long enough to catch her with the camera, to busy terrorizing the other 3 cats.

Attachments

• TheBoys.jpg
    TheBoys.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 94
  • MsKitty.jpg
    MsKitty.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 94

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, YEAH, Buzz!! I forgot your daughter has a Ragdoll! Gorgeous!

He SO wants what's on the tree in the second pic! LOL!

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
hey buzz, beautiful daughter and cat! tooter almost looks like a toy stuffed animal.

josie, the grey striped on the right is a twin for my beanbean. :sad:

i agree about not taking pictures of hormonal females. like grabbing a tirgess by the tail, as it were.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I went to rescue village and two angora sisters adopted me. I am very happy--they are huge and happy and loveable. Very sweet kitties. Pictures on my fb page. I prefer to do that for the obvious reason but the ragdoll is a beautiful breed of cat.