Cold Weather Car tips!

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
got this from a friend in Lubbock. would have been better to received it yesterday.

He didn't mention keeping your gas tank full or close to full. a very low or almost empty tank on a cold day will form condensation inside and then you have water in your gas and all kinds of problems. If you drive a diesel there is a potential for the fuel to gel in very cold weather. Power Service has a product with an anti gel compound.

Jim
------------------------------------

Hey folks,

I know its cold and you might have needed this before now but better late than never. Most anything you do that is normal maintenance is important but should already be done. Just a few small things that can make you life easier in this weather we have across the country.

Under the hood: Antifreeze, folks this one isn't too hard but should be done right. You can get a tester pretty cheap at most any parts store. I can't tell you what level you need to protect to in your area but -20°F is a good place to start. For the southern US that is pretty much a standard, folks up north consult you dealership or mechanic. Check it in the radiator not the overflow jug (surge tank systems check the tank.) Many time crud clogs the tube between the overflow and your radiator and what is in the tank isn't the same as whats in the radiator.

Batteries, in cold weather the cranking amperage (that is what gets the motor turning) is lower. Clean battery terminals are important because if the terminals are corroded there is less surface for that amperage to flow. If you have to jump start a car in freezing weather be careful, it doesn't always happen but it does from time to time, batteries that are frozen can explode. I've seen several and even had one do it to me (that was in Georgia.) If a battery is weak the electrolyte level is low and it can freeze easier, add extended time in freezing weather and the potential is there for a frozen battery. If you can remove the battery and move it to a warm place to thaw, obviously do not put it near a fire. Once thawed reinstall it and jump start it.

Tires, I know some folks think running lower pressure is best. Well it depends, most cases I recommend running the proper pressure so that the most surface area is contacting the road. Check your tire pressure! many forget this in the colder months. If chains are legal in your area and you have them make sure they are in the car and fit your tires correctly, just because the box says they fit doesn't mean they will, check them before you need them. Alignment is also more critical when driving on frozen roadways.

4WD verses 2WD verses FWD. Folks, when braking on a frozen roadway it doesn't matter what you have, all cars and trucks can loose it when braking on a frozen road surface. Yes when taking off FWD and 4WD is helpful, but once traction is loss its not.

Anti lockbrakes, have you ever felt your anti lock brake engage? If not and you can find a flat road surface that doesn't have a ditch on the sides go out and get the car going (not too fast, go just under the normal speed limit if its safe to go that fast on the surface) and slam on the brakes. In the majority of cases what you will feel is the brake pedal bouncing (we reffer to it as pulsating) and you will hear a loud noise. This is normal when the system engages, if you have experienced it then you are better prepared for when you need it to save your backside.

Keep in mind most all of this is in general, some cases may be different but if you follow these guidelines it can make your winter driving easier.

BTW it might be nice if folks post what kind of emergency supplies they keep in there cars. For us, a minor tool kit, ice scraper, blankets, first aid kit, flares, flashlights (more than one) with fresh batteries and a gas can. Now if we know we are going on a road trip I do add more, but for every day around town that's it.

homecook

Yeah when you live in the northeast in the snowbelt you learn all that before you get a driver's license. lol

And people brush off ALL of your windows......not just the windshield with your wipers!!!!

We add a bag of sand in the trunk in case we get stuck, it's good for traction.

Barb

Last edited:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah when you live in the northeast in the snowbelt you learn all that before you get a driver's license. lol

And people brush off ALL of your windows......not just the windshield with your wipers!!!!

Barb

and the hood too! terrible thing to spend all that time cleaning the windshield just to have to covered with snow as you pull out of the driveway. :oops:

another thing is your roof. snow up there doesn't bother you but as it slips off it can blind whoever is behind you. Some places you can get a ticket if your roof isn't clean too.

homecook

and the hood too! terrible thing to spend all that time cleaning the windshield just to have to covered with snow as you pull out of the driveway. :oops:

another thing is your roof. snow up there doesn't bother you but as it slips off it can blind whoever is behind you. Some places you can get a ticket if your roof isn't clean too.

Good points! It's common sense to me but not to others.

Barb

Calicolady

AAA membership is the best tool, along with cell phone.
I was give that as a gift for Christmas since '89, only used them 4 times in all these years, but that piece of mind was/is priceless.
Even if you don't have a cellphone, they have one that allows 3 emergency phone #s, like AAA, 911, and 1 other #-like home.
For you dad's with daughters just getting their license-this is a great piece of mind/gift.
And no....I'm not a salesperson for them.

We used to put in a bottle of dry-gas for every fill up to keep tank from freezing. Do they still have that?
I keep a fire extinguisher behind my truck seat and a blanket and plastic tarp, along with everything Jim said-except gas can-no room. You'd be surprised how warm you'll keep wrapped in plastic. I keep 1 bag of sand and 1 bag of gravel in the bed of truck since hurricane wilma for the added weight-keep my tailend from blowing away and deter fishtailing should I have to stop short.
I keep my jackbar(don't know the name-the this that pumps the jack) handy, right under my seat. If you live near water - north or south, should you wind up in water and sink, you need to brake the window, let the water flow in to level out the pressure, then you can exit easy. In the dark, or cold, or upside down, disorientation is your worst fear and problem.

1 other thing I remember dad teaching us is: make sure your tailpipe is clear and there's plenty of room for exhaust to dissapate. If not...dun da dun dun DA!
You may not wake up in your happy place!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
One tip I didn't see is when filling your car be sure to ground yourself on the gas pump before removing the cap from the car. Static electricity can be as bad as a lite cigarette with gas fumes.

homecook

My dad used to own a service station and he always said not to overfill your gas tank. When it clicks don't try to get an extra gallon. I'm anal about things like that and I always had to have an even number come up. If I went one penny over I would have to go to 25 cents, 50 cents, etc. Boy did I ever catch hell for that!

Barb

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
And please, for the love of peace, clean all the snow and ice from the car...all of it! Even the top! If you want to have an SUV, buy a damn broom or extra long snow brush so you can reach the top. For one minute, please think of the people behind you who are subjected to the flying ice shrapnel that comes hurdling towards us as it breaks free from your poorly cleaned vehicle.
There is no excuse for people who tool along down the road thinking not one thought of the danger they are putting the people behind them in.:respect:

waybomb

To guarantee a start in any weather, get a battery blanket and a zero-start block heater. Keeping the battery warm is one way to ensure cranking power. Keeping the block warm ensures warm oil and instant heat in the car.

One more thing is using a 0W-30 full synthetic like Mobil-1 Gold Cap.