Today's Q

chowhound

Got the fattie built and chillin' in the fridge; Italian sausage, marinara, Mexican oregano, provolone, pepperoni, hot ham (first time I ever heard of this, the store didn't have cappicola... it's hot and spicy alright), feta cheese... I think that's it.
And the short ribs are on already, seasoned with some s & p, Hungarian paprika, onion powder and garlic powder.
Almost time to start building my ABTs and rub the rack of babybacks. I figure I'll give the short ribs a few hours headstart.
I'm using hickory and apple and will throw some more on when I add the rest. The short ribs will be in a foil pouch by then and shouldn't pick up any residual smoke.

Attachments

• italian fattie1.jpg
    italian fattie1.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 138
  • italian fattie2.jpg
    italian fattie2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 141
  • italian fattie3.jpg
    italian fattie3.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 141
  • short ribs1.jpg
    short ribs1.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 139

chowhound

wooohooo .. love to see the smoker getting filled up ..

lol, you do realize I'm cooking for one here... :wink:
Yeah, I felt like a variety and cooking a bit more today. It'll get eaten during the week. I shoulda put some beans on, too. Still time, but I don't feel like another trip into the store for pineapple.

So the ABTs are made up. They're chillin' in the fridge with the fattie now. I had a couple strip of bacon left over that I'll throw around the fattie before I put it on.

Pretty maids all in a row.

Oh, and they're coming as fast as my greasy fingers can snap them, BM.

Attachments

• ABTs1.jpg
    ABTs1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 144

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Fred, do you cut the japs in half lenthwise and fill them?

Do you use a whole slice of bacon to wrap each?

Lee

chowhound

Fred, do you cut the japs in half lenthwise and fill them?

Do you use a whole slice of bacon to wrap each?

Lee

No.
Yes.
I cut the cap off, cut a slit in them, clean them, put a little cream cheese in, press my cheddar filled Lil Smokie in, add some more cream cheese, then wrap with a whole slice. It's how I was first introduced to ABTs and how I've always made them.

Oh yeah, Q. I eat leftover Q all the time. I don't notice any definitive difference in reheating the leftovers.

Here's a shot of the short ribs before I took them off to wrap in foil with a little wine for steam.
And the bottom rack and the top rack.
I added some more chips like I said I would and we'll see what happens a couple hours from now. That's when I will pull off the short ribs and unwrap them. No peaking til then... I may not sauce the short ribs.

BTW, steady temps all day. And I did not have a full ring of charcoal, so I'm hoping I can get three more hours out of it.

Attachments

• short ribs2.jpg
    short ribs2.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Q bottom rack.jpg
    Q bottom rack.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 123
  • Q top rack.jpg
    Q top rack.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 120

chowhound

Some parting shots.

Attachments

• Q 8-16-09.jpg
    Q 8-16-09.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Q 8-16-09-2.jpg
    Q 8-16-09-2.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Q 8-16-09-3.jpg
    Q 8-16-09-3.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Q 8-16-09-4.jpg
    Q 8-16-09-4.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Q 8-16-09-5.jpg
    Q 8-16-09-5.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 99

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
oh lord!! that looks good but just the thought of eating a turd kinda turns me off. :whistle: what possessed someone to name them turds?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Awesome looking feast Chow! :thumb:

How did you roll that fatty? It looks like it would have been a bit unruly, but your final pics are perfect! How did you man-handle that without it breaking apart on you so that you got such a great seal?

chowhound

Thanks Kelltin.

A few slices of the filling crept/slid when I rolled it, they'll be turned into a sub later today :^) I just kept at it by tucking it with one hand and using the other to work the waxed paper. Then I layed it in some plastic wrap, rolled the plastic wrap tightly around it and twisted the ends. And set it in the fridge to set up some. I kind of surprised myself that I didn't get any cheese leakage.

Blues Man

Here is a trick that I do .............

put the sauage into a 1 quart ziplok bag. Flaten it out until it completely fills the bag. Then open the bag and cut down the sides. Add your fillings and roll it onto itself. Once rolled set it on a piece of plastic wrap and roll it tight. Place into the refigerator to set up.

100_0450-1.jpg

100_0452-1.jpg

100_0456-1.jpg

Awesome looking feast Chow! :thumb:

How did you roll that fatty? It looks like it would have been a bit unruly, but your final pics are perfect! How did you man-handle that without it breaking apart on you so that you got such a great seal?

chowhound

Thanks Q.
I liked the fatty better with this hot ham than the cappicola I made the last It fatty with. And it's a great way to use up small amounts of leftover cheese, like the feta I used. I will be enjoying everything here again in about ten minutes (lol).

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Meme, chowhound is a man.

SPECTACULAR job, Chow! Those pictures are really incredible! I always envy your being able to eat those dinner presentations of yours, LOL!

Lee

Meme4251

sorry, had the wrong gender. Sometimes since I am new, not sure. Will read more posts to know next time. Thanks for letting me know.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No problem for me, Meme - I'm used to it.

With a name like Lee, a job as a hardware store manager, a love of the Red Sox, and competition barbecuing as a hobby, everyone assumes I'm a man ... in print.

Lee