What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
To busy today with yardwork and company coming over for dinner, so I forgot to take pictures. Today I made a loaf of Italian bread, 12 Italian sandwich thins and a loaf of sourdough bread for dinner.

Shermie

Site Supporter
JoeV, with all of the bread making that you do, & all of the luscious looking breads that you make, you could start your own small business!!

Have you every considered it? Hah!! :piesmiley1::eating2: :bounce:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
JoeV, with all of the bread making that you do, & all of the luscious looking breads that you make, you could start your own small business!!

Have you every considered it? Hah!! :piesmiley1::eating2: :bounce:
That's been suggested more times that I care to think about. My standard response is...

"I own one business already, and I do this for fun. If I turn it into a business, the fun goes away."

We have friends with a bakery and a restaurant, and we spend very little time with them socially, because they're always working. We go to their restaurant for a relaxing meal, and they come out of the kitchen to chat with us. Fun for us, not so much for them. I like my life just the way it is, and don't choose to add more work in my life. I'm 64 and don't want to shorten my life with a restaurant.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
It's been awhile since I made rye bread, so I'm taking advantage of a day off today to do so. The thins & loaves are on second rise now.

Attachments

• Rye 111214-2.jpg
    Rye 111214-2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 232

Shermie

Site Supporter
Made another one of my luscious 7up Cakes over the weekend!! :piesmiley1::eating2:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 225

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Refreshing my white sourdough starter, and started a rye starter for the Polish Sourdough Rye I will be making for Christmas Eve & Christmas Day. Also my sponge is done, and I'm making Slovenian Egg bread & Sandwich thins this afternoon.

(File copy of breads)

Attachments

• Slovenian white bread.jpg
    Slovenian white bread.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2978.jpg
    IMG_2978.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2979.jpg
    IMG_2979.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 162

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Love how soft the crumb came out with this recipe. I replaced all the water with 2% milk.

Attachments

• Slovenian whole wheat egg 121714.jpg
    Slovenian whole wheat egg 121714.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 152

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow! Great pics, Joe, as usual!

Wish I had some of that sourdough right now!

Lee

homecook

Finally started on my Christmas cookie baking. Snowballs and Thumbprints (yet to be filled).
Two down, four to go including potica.

Attachments

• 102_4101.jpg
    102_4101.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 102_4104.jpg
    102_4104.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 143

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
when i visit my Parents, i'll likely be making pies. my Mom makes me whisk ingredients & make fluted shells.
maybe i could convince her to make nut horns. or to buy a nutroll via a lady she used to get 'em from.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Cold & snowy today, so it's a good day to restock the freezer with Italian bread, sandwich thins & English muffins.

Attachments

• IMG_3098.jpg
    IMG_3098.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3099.jpg
    IMG_3099.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3102.jpg
    IMG_3102.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3101.jpg
    IMG_3101.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 140

Saliha

Just took this from the oven. We call kind of cakes like "tiger cake" (because of the cocoa powder stripe in the middle of it):

oa2xx94b1jtr.jpg

Shermie

Site Supporter
Oh. I don't doubt that it looks good.

And it DOES look like a bundt cake. But that is how we described a yellow or white cake swirled with chocolate cake batter.

Saliha

I was wondering what "bundt" cake means as this word isn´t in my dictionary.

A Bundt cake is a cake that is baked in a Bundt pan, shaping it into a distinctive ring shape. The shape is inspired by a traditional European cake known as Gugelhupf, but Bundt cakes are not generally associated with any single recipe. The style of mold in North America was popularized in the 1950s and 60s, after cookware manufacturer Nordic Ware trademarked the name "Bundt" and began producing Bundt pans from cast aluminum. Publicity from Pillsbury saw the cakes gain widespread popularity.

The Bundt cake derives in part from a European brioche-like cake called Gugelhupf which was particularly popular among Jewish communities in parts of Germany, Austria and Poland. In the north of Germany Gugelhupf is traditionally known as Bundkuchen, a name formed by joining the two words Kuchen (cake) and Bund.

Opinions differ as to the significance of the word Bund. One possibility is that it means "bunch" or "bundle", and refers to the way the dough is bundled around the tubed center of the pan. Another source suggests that it describes the banded appearance given to the cake by the fluted sides of the pan, similar to a tied sheaf or bundle of wheat. Some authors have suggested that Bund instead refers to a group of people, and that Bundkuchen is so called because of its suitability for parties and gatherings.

Uses of the word "bund" to describe cakes outside of Europe can be found in Jewish-American cookbooks from around the start of the 20th century. The alternative spelling "bundte" also appears in a recipe as early as 1901.

:read: I love to learn new words...

Shermie

Site Supporter
I have 2 bundt cake pans and 2 ten-inch tube cake pans.

Pillsbury began offering the bundt box cake mix in chocolate, and later in the yellow flavor in the early '70s. ;)

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I never tried making English muffins, JoeV!

Do you have a recipe for them? :WitchBrewsSmiley: :weber:

English Muffins (Lower calorie variant)
From the Kitchen of: Joe Valencic
Makes 12 or 20 Muffins

Ingredients:

11-1/2 oz. of 2% milk
11-1/2 oz. warm water (less than 110F)
3 Packets Stevia (or 3T white sugar)
1-1/2t Salt
1-1/2T Shortening (Crisco)
2-1/2t Instant yeast
19-1/2 oz. All purpose flour
1-1/2t Baking powder
As Required – Non-stick spray
As Required – Yellow cornmeal

* Special equipment: electric griddle, 3-inch metal rings. Cast iron pan is optional; just make sure you have a cover that fits the pan. Be careful, as the heat is hard to control with cast iron.

Directions:

In a bowl, combine the milk, water, Stevia, and salt, and microwave for 1 minute on high power. Let cool to less than 110F. In a ramekin or small bowl, microwave shortening for 15 seconds on high to melt, then quickly whisk it into the warm milk mixture. Add the flour and beat thoroughly with wooden spoon or whisk. Cover the bowl and let it rest in a warm spot for 30 minutes.

Preheat the griddle to 300 degrees F.

Add the 1-1/2 teaspoon of baking powder to mixture and beat thoroughly. Place metal rings onto the griddle and spray with vegetable spray. Dust pan bottom inside the rings with fine cornmeal. Using #20 ice cream scoop, place 2 level scoops into each ring and cover with a pot lid or cookie sheet and cook for 6 minutes. Remove the lid, remove rings from muffins and flip muffins with spatula. Cover with the lid and cook for another 6 minutes or until golden brown. Place on an open wire rack and cool. Split with fork, toast and serve with your favorite topping.

Status
Not open for further replies.