What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Made a couple of loaves of egg bread to go with the chicken chili I made for dinner tonight. Our middle daughter will be dining with us after an 8-mile run. The bread smells delicious!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Made a couple of loaves of egg bread to go with the chicken chili I made for dinner tonight. Our middle daughter will be dining with us after an 8-mile run. The bread smells delicious!

JoeV, who eats all that delicious looking bread that you're making all the time?

Must be very good!! :eating2:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmm! Carrot cupcakes, bread pudding, egg bread .... wow!

I'd love them all!

Nice job, folks!

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
JoeV, who eats all that delicious looking bread that you're making all the time?

Must be very good!! :eating2:
We have three adult children who live close by, a son-in-law and two grandkids that all love grandpa's bread. Trust me, it doesn't last too long when they show up. When everyone is here on a Sunday, a whole loaf disappears with dinner, and someone always wants to take a few slices home.

FryBoy

Super easy, really, really good!

GINGERBREAD

1¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup finely chopped crystalized ginger
½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
1 cup light molasses (such as Grandma's unsulfured)
¾ cup boiling water
1 egg, beaten

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Grease and flour a 9” x 9” baking pan.

3. In a large bowl, sift together flour, spices, and salt.

4. Add brown sugar and crystalized ginger to flour mixture and whisk by hand to combine; set aside.

5. In a small bowl, combine the butter and molasses.

6. Add boiling water to butter and molasses and stir until butter melts; whisk by hand to combine.

7. Add butter mixture to flour mixture and whisk by hand to combine.

8. Add beaten egg and whisk by hand to combine.

9. Pour batter into prepared pan.

10. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of pan comes out clean.

Allow gingerbread to cool in pan on a wire rack before serving; serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream or both. Makes 8 or 9 servings.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I made 2.5 lbs of dough last night. After the first rise I divided it in 2, placed in 2 zip bags and allowed it to rest over night. Today I took the dough out to warm to room temp then turned it into 4 small loaves of sausage bread.

sausage_bread_slice_101309_P1040464.JPG

Last edited:

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Thank for the idea Peeps. I guess we are going to settle for Marie Callendars Pot pies for tonight. Busy with my class final today.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Anyone else baking in this heat besides me? Time to restock the freezer with 100 calorie sourdough rye sandwich thins/

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh my gosh, where have I been???

I just looked at this thread and read all the April 2014 posts that I missed!

You folks are talented bakers!

Joe, are those sandwich rounds helping you to lose all that weight? Beautiful!

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Oh my gosh, where have I been???

I just looked at this thread and read all the April 2014 posts that I missed!

You folks are talented bakers!

Joe, are those sandwich rounds helping you to lose all that weight? Beautiful!

Lee

Yes they are. I make them with 1-1/2 oz. of dough, which equates to 100 calories based on this recipe.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
All baked today and delivered to the Lake County (Ohio) Fair tonight. I must have set the bar last year for breads, because there were more yeast breads entered this year, including some in a couple of my categories. The judging should be interesting, because some of the competition looks pretty good. I made 7-grain honey whole wheat, Polish sourdough rye, French baguettes (Black & white Epi style), Italian free form loaf, Egg bread, and Cuban bread (Pan Cubano). I had some dough left over and made rye sandwich thins, egg sausage rolls and small loaves of rye and 7-grain wheat. I was in the kitchen from 9 till 5 just dealing with bread, doing my best to make sure the appearance was the best I could do. We're going to the fair Tuesday night for the baked goods auction, rain or shine. Wish me luck!

Leni

I'm not baking a thing today. It is going to be in the 90's with monsoon moisture. The A/C came on at 9:30 this morning.

Good luck Joe. You set them back on their heels last yeaar. Do the same again this year.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Went to the fair tonight and got the results of the judging...

French baguettes (Epi style) and Polish sourdough rye took First Place.

Egg bread, Italian & Cuban bread took Second Place.

7-Grain honey whole wheat took a Third Place.

Everything got a ribbon, so that's a big plus. Thanks for the encouragement!

Shermie

Site Supporter
All baked today and delivered to the Lake County (Ohio) Fair tonight. I must have set the bar last year for breads, because there were more yeast breads entered this year, including some in a couple of my categories. The judging should be interesting, because some of the competition looks pretty good. I made 7-grain honey whole wheat, Polish sourdough rye, French baguettes (Black & white Epi style), Italian free form loaf, Egg bread, and Cuban bread (Pan Cubano). I had some dough left over and made rye sandwich thins, egg sausage rolls and small loaves of rye and 7-grain wheat. I was in the kitchen from 9 till 5 just dealing with bread, doing my best to make sure the appearance was the best I could do. We're going to the fair Tuesday night for the baked goods auction, rain or shine. Wish me luck!

Nice looking bread & rolls, JoeV!!!

Proves to us that your new Bosch Mixer is still getting the Job Done!!! Hah!!! :piesmiley1::eating2:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Well, natch!

But seriously, Joe, HUGE CONGRATS on your wins and showings!

My God, man, you are the BREAD WHISPERER!!! :wow:

Lee

He DOES make some truly delicious looking breads and rolls all the time!!

He made a very wise choice by getting his Bosch Stand Mixer!! It will give him years & years of very reliable service!! I envy him, truly I do!! Hah!! :agree:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Congratulations, Joe! You should do a tutorial on the epi-style baguettes. They are truly works of art.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Congratulations, Joe! You should do a tutorial on the epi-style baguettes. They are truly works of art.

There are lots of tutorials on doing this. Here is one from YouTube. One side note. If you will be adding egg wash and toppings like poppy or sesame seeds or dusting the top of the loaf with flour, put on your toppings FIRST then do your epi cuts. This way each "ear" will have the topping showing, and the center space will be natural.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN5QL_kaowQ

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
The church bakes sale was yesterday. My usual contribution.

Attachments

• Bake Sale 011814.jpg
    Bake Sale 011814.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 141
Status
Not open for further replies.