What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Having an overnight guest tonight, so I'm making raviolis for dinner with a salad from the leaf lettuce in the garden. That said, I felt a good Italian herb baguette topped with sesame seeds & Parmesan cheese would be the right bread for the meal.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I made two loaves of honey wheat bread in the new bread pans that DD got me for my Birthday. I'm gonna replace ALL of my metal bakeware with the exception of my aluminum baking sheets with USA pans.

Attachments

• honwy-wheat-bread-06152013.jpg
    honwy-wheat-bread-06152013.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 171

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Very nice, Mama. What kind of pans did your DD get??? I see the horizontal ridges from the pans.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Joe! They are USA Pans

USA Pan has been developed by the world’s largest manufacturer of industrial bakeware and has been providing the world’s leading commercial bakeries with the highest quality baking pans for over 50 years. Whether it is superior pan materials, methods of manufacturing or overall design features, when you purchase from USA Pan you are buying products that meet industrial standards for innovation, quality and durability. Put simply, our pans are the best available and are proudly produced in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

I have two smaller loaf pans made by them that I have had for a couple of years and I really like them.

112515278-540x495-0-0_usa+pans+usa+pans+10+x+5+x+3+inch+loaf+pan+alumini.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
It's all baked, cooled & bagged. Now off to the Lake County Fair to enter my first ever bread competition. My sampling includes French bread (EPI style), Italian herb sourdough no-knead bread, English muffins, Olive oil Italian bread and Honey whole wheat bread. Wish me luck!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good luck, Joe! Let us know how you do!

I love that funny-cut stuff. What is that?

Mama, I want to do a swan dive into your honey wheat loaf!

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Good luck, Joe! Let us know how you do!

I love that funny-cut stuff. What is that?

Mama, I want to do a swan dive into your honey wheat loaf!

Lee
:D the "funny-cut stuff" are French baguettes, Epi style. It's meant to resemble a sheaf of wheat, and are great loaves for parties where you can tear off individual pieces of bread without cutting up the entire loaf. I make these for parties a couple times a year. Here are a tray of the mini-baguettes with different toppings on them,

Ian M.

Joe, it's all just beautiful! If you don't come home with a Grand Prize for your bread - well, there's just no justice! Incidently, I love the "funny cut stuff"! What a neat idea.

Ian :a1:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Joe, I have some news for you. There's a guy posting on another forum taking baked goods to the same Fair. The really bad news is that not only did he bake the same items as you, his finished product is identical in appearance to yours! :yankchain: :yum:

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=64549

It's all baked, cooled & bagged. Now off to the Lake County Fair to enter my first ever bread competition. My sampling includes French bread (EPI style), Italian herb sourdough no-knead bread, English muffins, Olive oil Italian bread and Honey whole wheat bread. Wish me luck!

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I bet he wins a couple prizes. Those women at some fair competitions can be tough opposition. They get real serious about the pies and things.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
And the judges said...

Epi style French baguettes.

Olive Oil Italian Bread. Sold at the auction for $11

Honey Whole Wheat bread. Sold at the auction for $20. WOW!!

Italian Herb Sourdough No-Knead bread. Sold at the auction for $10

English Muffins (6). Sold at the auction for $5

Thanks to everyone for your support.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Thanks, everyone. My 15 minutes of fame is now over, and I'm back to being just another schmuck!:yum:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
My carrot cake cupcakes:

CarrotCakeCupcakes.jpg

I had to test one while it was still warm. It was delicious, just the way I like them, not too sweet!

CarrotCakeCupcake.jpg

I used Silver Sage's recipe with a few substitutions - pecans for the walnuts, shredded coconut for the raisins, 1/2 applesauce and 1/2 veg oil for the vegetable oil.

Ian M.

Man, those carrot cupcakes look so good! Did you frost them with anything - like cream cheese frosting, for example or just au naturale?
Either way, melt in the mouth!

Ian :D

Cooksie

Site Supporter
The plan was to frost the remaining 11 with cream cheese frosting. After the taste test and the disaster that I created in the kitchen, they all remained au naturale :blush:.

MessyBessy.jpg

Ian M.

Oh, Cooksie - If I didn't leave a mess ten times worse than that, DW wouldn't think I'd been baking or cooking in "her" kitchen! You're a neatnik by comparison..............

Ian :ohmy:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
My carrot cake cupcakes:

CarrotCakeCupcakes.jpg

I had to test one while it was still warm. It was delicious, just the way I like them, not too sweet!

CarrotCakeCupcake.jpg

I used Silver Sage's recipe with a few substitutions - pecans for the walnuts, shredded coconut for the raisins, 1/2 applesauce and 1/2 veg oil for the vegetable oil.

:wow: :a1: Please post link to SS's carrot cake recipe.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I made some more carrot cake cupcakes. They're addictive little suckers. The only thing I did differently is to use regular cupcake liners instead of the foil liners. I like to put a little sliver of cream cheese in the center of the cupcake and heat it for about 20 seconds in the microwave. The foil liners will cause a few sparks to fly :whistling:.

CarrotCakeCupcakesAgain.jpg

Shermie

Site Supporter
Made some bread pudding today.

Had some old wheat bread - a loaf that I don't buy because I don't like it, but got caught with it again because I didn't know it.

Also had some old milk that hadn't gone bad yet, so I decided to make bread pudding with them.

Tastes just like French toast!! :eating2:

Attachments

• 085.jpg
    085.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.