What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilefarmer

Fallon, I to love lemon anything. And loaf cake is the best. Not to sweet, the glaze just enough sweetness. I to am looking forward to the recipe.

The comment about the pie was meant to be kinda funny. Katie and I used to pick at each other about things like that. I think that is why we had so much enjoyment with each other.. CF

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sherm and Fallon, your stuff looks fantastic!!!

I'd like a sliver of each!

Lee

chilefarmer

Not baked today but yesterday. Lemon yeast cake. Found the recipe in the King Author flour catalog. Has a lemon syrup poured over cake. CF
Photos:
LemonYeastCake.jpg

LemonYeastslice.jpg

Shermie

Site Supporter
Dag, that cake looks GOOD, Chilefarmer!!

Nice and golden, like mine!!

Last edited:

Mr. Green Jeans

Saw this recipe and hafta try it today!

Strawberry spoon bread (adapted from Lady Bird Johnson's spoon bread recipe)
Ingredients:
32 ounces fresh strawberries, hulled and quarterd
3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
3 cups whole milk, divided
1 cup cornmeal
3 tablespoons butter
3 large eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons honey or sorghum syrup

Method:
Sprinkle the strawberries with 1/4 cup of sugar, and leave at room temperature for an hour or until juicy.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place a metal bowl in the freezer. In a large cast-iron skillet, on medium heat, stir together 2 cups of milk and the cornmeal and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and stir in the remaining milk and butter. Once the butter has melted, stir in the eggs, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar. Drain the juice from half the berries (reserving the juice by pouring it back into the remaining berries) and stir the strawberries into the spoon bread batter.

Place the skillet into the oven and bake uncovered for 35 minutes or until the bread is set and golden brown. While it cools, whip the heavy cream in the chilled metal bowl with a whisk, eggbeater or electric mixer. Once it’s tripled in size and soft peaks have formed, stir in the honey or sorghum syrup.

Serve the spoon bread warm topped with the remaining strawberries and whipped cream.

Yield: 8 servings

Notes: Taste the berries--if they're especially sweet feel free cut back on the sugar.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Honey whole wheat sandwich thins and honey whole wheat sandwich buns for pulled pork sammies.

Fallon, I to love lemon anything. And loaf cake is the best. Not to sweet, the glaze just enough sweetness. I to am looking forward to the recipe.

The comment about the pie was meant to be kinda funny. Katie and I used to pick at each other about things like that. I think that is why we had so much enjoyment with each other.. CF

Hey CF - It's time to get my nose out of my big, fat book I'm loving and feed the cat but I wanted to quickly respond to what you just said about how you and my late mother-in-law used to pick on each other. I know how much she always enjoyed you two getting up each other's noses, especially about one memorable barbeque recipe she always laughed over. She loved to pick on Ian about some of his (what she called "gastronomic flights of fancy") recipes, too and they'd go round and round. We sure do miss her! I'm so glad we have you to have fun with.

Fallon :good::good:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Italian bread, Italian sandwich thins and Honey Whole Wheat sandwich thins for the freezer.

Bread051812.jpg

Italian Epi baguettes topped with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sweet onions & Spanish paprika. Taking a road trip tomorrow to the Dayton, Ohio Hamvention with two friends. Also taking sliced homemade Soppresata sausage and a cheese assortment. Four hours of driving each way gets boring, so we'll eat along the way.

EpiBaguette051812.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Nice Joe! I hope you had a safe trip!

I baked some blueberry banana oatmeal bread today.

Attachments

• blueberry-banana-bread.jpg
    blueberry-banana-bread.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 355
  • blueberry-banana-bread-01.jpg
    blueberry-banana-bread-01.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 359

Mr. Green Jeans

I just planted 2 hills of zucchini, then looked in the freezer. OMG I have a s_ _t load of the stuff still. So chocolate zucchini brownies are in the oven.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Well, it's been three weeks with no activity on this thread, so I guess I'll post my freezer restocking bread. Italian this time.

Italian062612.jpg

P1040419.jpg

chilefarmer

Joe the loaf bread in your photo, did you split it down the side or does it just bake like that. Those sure are pretty, wish i had some. CF

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Joe the loaf bread in your photo, did you split it down the side or does it just bake like that. Those sure are pretty, wish i had some. CF
This time of year the dough tends to overproof, and causes the splits at the pan edges. Here's a shot of the crumb. this recipe gives an incredibly soft crumb. It's one of those breads that you can't stop eating.

SoftItalian062612.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I made a pilot run of Buttery Garlic Knots that I saw on TV the other day. (http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/kelsey-nixon/buttery-garlic-herb-knots-recipe/index.html) I'll be taking these to a party tomorrow evening, with a "to be determined" side dish.
icon_lol.gif
Here are the knots fresh from the oven, and then plated with some homemade Sopresotta dried sausage the I made in the Winter. This turned out to be a great snack combination. Gonna have to remember to do this again.

Knots-3.jpg

Knots-n-SuperSot-2.jpg

Shermie

Site Supporter
Not to be outdone;

Made this 7up Cake on the Fourth.

Boy!! Was it hot that day!!!!! But I manage to make a simple small dinner. :smile:

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 294
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 280

chilefarmer

Joe, really looks great, what recipe for the sausage. I might try some. Got some eye of round in the brine right now. gonna make some dried beef. Love the bread and sausage combo.
Sherman, I see that new pan is still working good. Nice cake, like the color. CF

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanx, Chilefarmer!!

Yes, I like the new pan a lot! Works like a charm and nothing sticks to it! So much so, that I might order another one from Amazon.com soon!!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Joe, really looks great, what recipe for the sausage. I might try some. Got some eye of round in the brine right now. gonna make some dried beef. Love the bread and sausage combo.
Sherman, I see that new pan is still working good. Nice cake, like the color. CF
I'll have to dig out the recipe. I made this back in January, and it air dried for almost 8 weeks in the attic. It's made with lean pork shoulder, but cannot be made in the traditional method during the warm months.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I made some Potato bread.....it sure smells good in here :smile:

Attachments

• potato-bread.jpg
    potato-bread.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 261

Ian M.

That's some good-looking bread, Mama! Making my mouth water. Fallon's making some of her Irish Soda Bread right now and our kitchen smells like pure heaven, too. I'll see if I can't talk her into sharing the recipe when she has a minute. This is her mother's recipe and the family guards it like Fort Knox. Sure is good stuff, though. Hopefully I can also talk Fallon into a batch of peanutbutter cookies before she's all done......................

Ian :chef:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Yum Mama!!
Mama where is the pic of those twin beauties you made the other day?

Ian M.

Come to find out, Fallon's recipe is already posted under Bread in the baking thread. She put it in here right before St. Patrick's Day and I never even knew it. Okay, now, about those cookies.......................

Ian :oops:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Ian and Peepers. I think I put the pic of the Italian bread in last weeks dinner thread but I'll re-post it here.

I'm going to check out Fallon's Irish soda bread now :w00t:

Attachments

• italianbread.jpg
    italianbread.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 197

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Thanks Ian and Peepers. I think I put the pic of the Italian bread in last weeks dinner thread but I'll re-post it here.

I'm going to check out Fallon's Irish soda bread now :w00t:
I wish you could beam me a loaf of that bread!! BEAUTIFUL!

Status
Not open for further replies.