What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Peeps! That was it...I fixed it, with your excellent assistance. I am not used to this camera (It is a Panasonic Lumix - I think maybe like yours.) I broke my Fuji, and it used an XD card. I have finally figured out how to adjust the exposure...I'm getting there. Thanks alot!
Thats great! You're welcome Karen glad I could help.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
So.....I'm finally home. The red velvet trifle turned out beautifully and the smores cheesecake was amazing. There were so many people there and the house got so hot that the cheesecake started to melt so the pictures aren't the greatest but it was still a winner. Everyone kept telling me that I ought to sell them instead of giving the recipe away. Next time I'll put the graham cracker crumbs on top of the chocolate but under the marshmallow whipped cream.

I'm really tired so it will probably be Monday before I get the recipe written up.

Attachments

• red-velvet-trifle-08062011.jpg
    red-velvet-trifle-08062011.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 145
  • smores-cheesecake-00.jpg
    smores-cheesecake-00.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 151
  • smores-cheesecake-000.jpg
    smores-cheesecake-000.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 143

homecook

:wow:Mama, you really outdid yourself!!! They are both gorgeous and I know they tasted wonderful! The S'mores cheesecake looks like another winner......

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Oooooohhhhhhh Mama! Why am I drooling???:excl:

Yesterday I made a couple of loaves of honey whole wheat bread. Gave one to a friend and put the other in the freezer. I did make a fried egg sandwich with cheese on the rye sandwich thins I made the other day. It was really tasty.

Almost forgot that me and DW made a chocolate layer cake for DD's birthday party. I used pudding in a cup (4 for $1) for the filling, with fresh sliced strawberries. Put it in the outside fridge to firm up, and this morning DW will make her mock whipped cream frosting that has to be in the mixer for 10 minutes. We'll top it with more strawberries and candles to go with the perch fish fry for dinner.

Last edited:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh Mama, those are both so beautiful! It's such a challenge to create and maintain such fragile items in hot weather, I know. I hope you family appreciates your generous spirit.

I'm starting the day by baking some foccacia for our dinner tonight - having friends over for porchetta.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thank you Barb, Joe and Karen! The marshmallow cream really started to separate. I guess it was from the heat.

Barb, everyone kept going on and on about how wonderful that cheesecake was. I heard comments like, "It's better than anything at the cheesecake factory", "You should sell this...I'd buy lots of it!", "Did you know that tomorrow is MY Birthday?" and "Would your husband mind if you took me home?" :lol:

Joe, I hope you plan to share the recipe for that cake as well as some pics! It sounds perfect for a hot summer day!

Karen, sounds like you have a wonderful dinner planned! Is that Milo in your avatar? What a cutie!

MGJ....I've never seen a recipe for whole wheat low fat banana bread. Will you share the recipe? It sounds good.

Last edited:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Mama said:
Is that Milo in your avatar?

Yes, mama - he is yawning. With all of those teeth, he has never bitten us.

Nice to have all that positive reinforcement, isn't it? I get that sometimes as well, and have to stop and realize that home-made goodies are a rarity in today's world. I have very few friends who really take pleasure in cooking, like I do, and they are always so grateful to have something that is made at home. Many have suggested that I go into business, but I have already retired from one job - I'm not eager to take on another!

homecook

I don't doubt the comments Mama! :a1:You've been knocking out some awesome desserts lately. I'm not a big sweet eater but chocolate cake is my weakness and I do like cheesecake. lol

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
OK, Mama, here goes. The cake is just a chocolate box cake. Can't even remember the brand because we buy them when they are on sale for $.99. I divided it into two 8" round pans, buttered & floured for easy removal.

The filling is 2-3 vanilla pudding cups (depending on how thick you want the filling) evenly spread out and covered with sliced strawberries.

The Mock Whipped Cream Frosting is an old recipe that DW got from a friend back in the early 70's, and is all over the Internet. Very popular and very tasty.

MOCK WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING
1 c. milk
6 tbsp. flour

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. Crisco
1/2 c. butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together first 2 ingredients in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly. Cool and set aside. We usually make it at least 3-4 hours ahead and cool it in the fridge.

Mix sugar, butter, and vanilla together with electric mixer until fluffy. Add flour mixture and beat until smooth and fluffy. Can be colored and used on any type cake.

P1030835.jpg

P1030837.jpg

I'll post the cut cake following our fish fry tonight when DD blows out the candles (she's 32).

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That cake is just beautiful Joe and thank you for posting the recipe. That mock whipped cream could probably be used in a lot of desserts.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
In the 1980's I used to frequently eat lunch in a restaurant called The Money Tree. Ed Janos was the executive chef and Helen Baumgartner was the pastry chef. One of her delightful desserts was called Bundernuss Torte. Over the years, I have tried to find a recipe. What I learned is that Bundernuss is a tart - not a torte. So this was her interpretation of it in a torte. Bundernuss is a nut crust, filled with almond paste, topped with more nuts & caramel.

When SousChef's sister moved, she gave me a big box of old cookbooks. In it was a copy of the Ford Times Recipe Book. And wouldn't you know it, they had Helen Baumgartner's recipe from The money Tree! I just had to try.

The difference is that instead of almond paste, she baked an almond paste pound cake in that walnut crust. We had this for breakfast this morning.

Attachments

• bundernuss 032.jpg
    bundernuss 032.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 115

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I could easily be tempted to eat multiple pieces of that phenomenal dessert. Fantastic job.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
SS, your talents for dessert making are unsurpassed. I would love to watch you sometime! That is a lovely creation.

I think this counts as "baking". I baked it for about 40 minutes, stirring every 8-10 minutes. Made Jerry some granola today - full of good stuff like almond butter, pecans, honey, pumpkin seeds, oatmeal, coconut, cranberries....

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 132

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Thanks, Joe & Karen. But I have a whole lot of it to get rid of - maybe the neighbors will get it.

SousChef tasted it and said the almond paste reminded her of amaretto, which she hates. If I don't give it away, I'm going to eat the whole thing myself!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
SS, your talents for dessert making are unsurpassed. I would love to watch you sometime! That is a lovely creation.

I think this counts as "baking". I baked it for about 40 minutes, stirring every 8-10 minutes. Made Jerry some granola today - full of good stuff like almond butter, pecans, honey, pumpkin seeds, oatmeal, coconut, cranberries....
I like that Karen!
I'm not a real big one for sweets or baked sweet anything, but granola I do like for snacking sometimes.
Did Milo get a sample?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
SassMuffin said:
Did Milo get a sample?

Thanks, Sass! You know what? It did not occur to me to share the granola with Milo - I'll go and give him some right now and see if he likes it!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That is BEAUTIFUL SS!

Karen, I love granola too and that sounds wonderful...if you have time, I'd love to see the recipe. I'll bet Milo loves it!

I baked another smores cheesecake today since the one that I made for the party over the weekend didn't look the greatest. This one looks much better. I'll take it to my step-daughter tomorrow. She really wants it and I don't need it :lol: I'll keep a piece or two for DH. Now that I have the pictures done, I'll work on writing up the recipe tomorrow.

Attachments

• smores-cheesecake-0.jpg
    smores-cheesecake-0.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 123

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Milo does not appear to be a granola fan....he sniffed it and declined. He did want a snuggle, however, so it took me some time to get back inside.

So sorry, Sass - I didn't get any pictures....he is such a sweet little guy.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Milo does not appear to be a granola fan....he sniffed it and declined. He did want a snuggle, however, so it took me some time to get back inside.

So sorry, Sass - I didn't get any pictures....he is such a sweet little guy.

Well darn!
I'll keep jonesin' for more Milo pics anyway I can :yum:
Thanks for trying lol

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
SassMuffin said:
I'll keep jonesin' for more Milo pics anyway I can

This is SO way off topic that the mods may not be happy with me, but here is Milo having a bath the other day. He loves having a bath...

Attachments

• Milosbath2.jpg
    Milosbath2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 124

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
He's a opossum that Karen and Jerry rescued. He's been with them since he was a baby. He's our unofficial mascot :lol:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Mama - Milo was about 2-3 inches long when one of our cats brought him in almost exactly a year ago. We fed him with a syringe until he was strong enough to eat on his own. He is the most gentle and affectionate pet I've ever had.

homecook

I made a loaf of No-Knead bread today. I added flax seed, sunflower seed and craisins. I think my son has already eaten half of it. lol

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 108
Status
Not open for further replies.