What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have a hand of bananas on the counter. I will need to go buy a bundt pan.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Wal-mart had bananas for $.50 for a 3# bag, and I got a bundt cake pan at Big Lots for $7 (better and cheaper than Wal-Mart). We went out to dinner tonight for our anniversary, then back home to make Mama's latest decadent offering. It's in the oven right now, and if the batter is any indicator, this cake will not last long. Here it is before going in...

P1030821.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Very nice JoeV! :applause: You might wanna double the maple glaze...it really makes the cake!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
It's out of the oven, and took a full 70 minutes for the knife to come out clean. It's sitting on the cool granite top, and I may give it about 15 minutes before trying to pop it out of the pan. It really rose more than yours, and I used 2 tsp of baking powder. Hopefully it won't be a problem. I may have beat the batter too long and entrained more air into it than you did.

P1030822.jpg

SUCCESS!!!! It came out in one piece. I'll frost it in the morning. Thanks, Mama!

P1030823.jpg

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
How did you screw up? Looks pretty doggone good to me! How did it taste....that's really the important part!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Happy Anniversary, Mr. and Mrs. JoeV! Hope you enjoy the cake - be sure to take a picture - OK?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oh...:yum:. I'm glad you everyone enjoyed it. It's all gone here too LOL.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Happy anniversary Joe!! I can't wait to see your finished cake and a sliced shot.

Your cake looks awesome Barb!!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Thanks for the anniversary wishes. I went walleye fishing this morning at 0500, so didn't have time to upload. We had it on the boat and the guys loved it. Just got done cleaning fish, so here's the final pic...

P1030824.jpg

Fresh Lake Erie walleye. I think tomorrow we might have a fish fry.

Walleye073011-1.jpg

SilverSage

Resident Crone
OMG!! Joe!! Walleye is my all-time favorite fish, and I can't get it down here for love nor money.

What would it cost to freeze it and send a fish to Florida? (No, I'm not kidding).

Or, it's about a 2 day drive - will you still have some left for dinner if I show up on Monday night?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
OMG!! Joe!! Walleye is my all-time favorite fish, and I can't get it down here for love nor money.

What would it cost to freeze it and send a fish to Florida? (No, I'm not kidding).

Or, it's about a 2 day drive - will you still have some left for dinner if I show up on Monday night?
I hope you're sitting down, because this gets expensive. Right now walleye is selling for $15.99 per pound, and my son just checked the shipping costs. For 2# of fillets (That's one 7-8# fish) you would need 6-7# of dry ice, plus the styro, overpack and box filler. That's about 10-11# shipping weight. Overnight to ORD would run from $60 ish for USPS Express (cheapest way to get there overnight), plus the dry ice & packaging ($20 ish), which would take it to about $112 for 2# of walleye. Even if I was kind enough to GIVE you 2# of fillets, it would still cost about $80 to get to you. Pretty pricy fish, IMO.

Maybe Buz would be nice enough to bring some to you when they come back to FLA. Should keep for 2 days in dry ice. If you're ever in the Cleveland area, I'll make you a walleye fry (if there's any left).

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Nice fish Joe! There's nothing like fresh caught walleye! The cake looks wonderful!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
My SIL's birthday party is tomorrow and he has requested a Red Velvet trifle and a Smores Cheesecake. I baked the red velvet cake this morning and I just took the cheesecake out of the oven. Once it cools, I'm gonna pour chocolate over it sprinkle some graham cracker crumbs over it and top it with marshmallow whipped cream. Hopefully I can get some pics before it's gone.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I hope you're sitting down, because this gets expensive. Right now walleye is selling for $15.99 per pound, and my son just checked the shipping costs. For 2# of fillets (That's one 7-8# fish) you would need 6-7# of dry ice, plus the styro, overpack and box filler. That's about 10-11# shipping weight. Overnight to ORD would run from $60 ish for USPS Express (cheapest way to get there overnight), plus the dry ice & packaging ($20 ish), which would take it to about $112 for 2# of walleye. Even if I was kind enough to GIVE you 2# of fillets, it would still cost about $80 to get to you. Pretty pricy fish, IMO.

Maybe Buz would be nice enough to bring some to you when they come back to FLA. Should keep for 2 days in dry ice. If you're ever in the Cleveland area, I'll make you a walleye fry (if there's any left).

WOW!!! I could go out for a night on the town for the price of the shipping alone! Thank your son for checking all that, but I guess it's not to be this time.

However, I may show up on your doorstep one day for that walleye fry.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
My SIL's birthday party is tomorrow and he has requested a Red Velvet trifle and a Smores Cheesecake. I baked the red velvet cake this morning and I just took the cheesecake out of the oven. Once it cools, I'm gonna pour chocolate over it sprinkle some graham cracker crumbs over it and top it with marshmallow whipped cream. Hopefully I can get some pics before it's gone.
I'd love to see a pic of the cheesecake Mama! Sounds yummy! How do you make marshmallow whipped cream?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Whip together 1 pint of whipping cream with 2 Tablespoons of Vanilla Pudding mix and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Then, mix 1 pint of marshmallow creme with 1/4 cup of softened butter and fold that into the whipped cream. It's sweet but it's good!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm at DD's house and didn't bring my laptop. Typing on this phone is a pain and I don't know how to post pics from it so I'll post the pics Sunday when I get home.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I made your Praline Banana Bundt Cake today, Mama, and Jerry almost swooned when he tasted it. It is WONDERFUL. I did something peculiar to my camera and locked up the chip, so I'll have to take some pictures tomorrow when I figure it out. Poor Jerry, he was standing there with a fork in his hand and I was making him wait while I messed with it. "Can't we just eat the cake?" he pleaded.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I made your Praline Banana Bundt Cake today, Mama, and Jerry almost swooned when he tasted it. It is WONDERFUL. I did something peculiar to my camera and locked up the chip, so I'll have to take some pictures tomorrow when I figure it out. Poor Jerry, he was standing there with a fork in his hand and I was making him wait while I messed with it. "Can't we just eat the cake?" he pleaded.
If it is a SD memory card there is usually a little tab on the side that slides up and down. One way locks the card so it can't be erased. Slide the tab in the other direction.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
lilbopeep said:
If it is a SD memory card there is usually a little tab on the side that slides up and down. One way locks the card so it can't be erased. Slide the tab in the other direction.

Peeps! That was it...I fixed it, with your excellent assistance. I am not used to this camera (It is a Panasonic Lumix - I think maybe like yours.) I broke my Fuji, and it used an XD card. I have finally figured out how to adjust the exposure...I'm getting there. Thanks alot!

Status
Not open for further replies.