Chili - No Beans

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Chili - No Beans:

IMG_0743.jpg

Chili Tostado:

IMG_0752.jpg

The chili that I made last night was with Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm Chili Kit. I've tried several mixes, and we like his best.

Before I made it this time, I measured all the ingredients in his little packets so that I could make it without the kit next time. Here's what I came up with:

6 1/2 T chili powder
2 tsp salt
1 T minced onion
1/4 to 1/2 tsp garlic powder
3 1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp ground oregano
1 1/2 tsp paprika
2 T masa
2 tsp red pepper (2 tsp for hot, 1 tsp for med, none for mild)

I browned one lb of ground beef, removed it to a plate, and drained the fat. Then I browned one lb of very coarsely ground chili meat, drained it, and added the ground beef back in. I was looking for some chunky and some not so chunky meat textures.

Then, just like the packet says, I added in one 8 ounce can of tomato sauce, 2 cups of water, all seasonings except the masa and red pepper, and let it simmer (covered) for about 30 minutes. I wanted mild chili last night, so I didn't use any of the red pepper, but I usually only use 1/2 of the pkt.

I used the masa pkt according to WF's directions--mixed it with 1/4 cup warm water, added it to the chili, and continued to simmer for another 20 minutes.

Next time, I'm going to do this using the spices that I already have. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to keep buying the chili kit.

I like Wick's too, but normally buy the hotter version. And while I do agree with you that it's just as easy to do it yourself - especially if you have a well-stocked spice cupboard - I still like to keep a kit or two in the pantry for those nights when time is running short, I have a hankering for some chili, & just want to automaton it.

Short for "Masa Harina", it's nothing more than very finely ground corn meal/flour. Used to make tortillas & also used as a thickener for some Mexican dishes.

LADawg

I like your chili recipe except I use more chopped Onion and I use 2 or 3 cloves if chopped Garlic rather than the garlic powder. I think the Chili Powder would over power the oregano and paprika, so I don’t use them. I lived in Texas long enough to know that there is no place in chili for BEANS or any whole tomatoes. Maybe a small can of tomato sauce or tomato paste, but no cans of whole tomatoes.
Here is the recipe I use for chili.

BILLY BOB'S TEXAS CHILI

2 Pounds Course Ground Beef or Chopped Stew Meat
1 Can Beef Broth
1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
2 to 3 Cans Water
2 to 3 Cloves Minced Garlic
1/2 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1 Medium Chopped Onion
4 to 6 Tablespoon Chili Powder
3 Tablespoons Flour
Salt to Taste (about 1/2 Tsp.)
2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
2 Tablespoons Water

In a small bowl or jar with a lid, mix together the Chili Powder, Ground Cumin, Flour, Black Pepper and Salt. In a cast iron Dutch oven or heavy pot heat Oil and add Beef, Onion and Garlic. Sauté‚ until the Meat starts to change color. Add the Chili Spices a little at a time, stirring to blend it with the Meat. After all of the Spices have been added, pour in the Beef Broth and 2 or 3 Cups of Water. Stir to mix. Cover and cook over low heat for about 2 hours, stirring every 20 minutes.
Blend together the Corn Starch and the 2 Tablespoons of Water. Add it to the chili. Increase the heat to medium high and stir until the chili gets thick. Reduce heat to low and cook another 20 to 30 minutes.

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I like the Billy Bob's recipe. I'll have to give it a whirl. What brand of chili powder do you use? A lot of people have brands that they swear by.

:mrgreen:The chili with beans or no beans debate...I'm not even going to go there:mrgreen:

LADawg

I like the Billy Bob's recipe. I'll have to give it a whirl. What brand of chili powder do you use? A lot of people have brands that they swear by.

:mrgreen:The chili with beans or no beans debate...I'm not even going to go there:mrgreen:
I've been using Penzey's for the past few years. Before that I used Kroger store brand. I've been wanting to order some from Pendery's
http://www.penderys.com/best-chile-blend.html but have not got around to it yet. I just bought a half pound from Penzey's so it will be a little while before I buy anymore......

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Chili - No Beans:

IMG_0743.jpg

Chili Tostado:

IMG_0752.jpg

The chili that I made last night was with Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm Chili Kit. I've tried several mixes, and we like his best.

Before I made it this time, I measured all the ingredients in his little packets so that I could make it without the kit next time. Here's what I came up with:

6 1/2 T chili powder
2 tsp salt
1 T minced onion
1/4 to 1/2 tsp garlic powder
3 1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp ground oregano
1 1/2 tsp paprika
2 T masa
2 tsp red pepper (2 tsp for hot, 1 tsp for med, none for mild)

I browned one lb of ground beef, removed it to a plate, and drained the fat. Then I browned one lb of very coarsely ground chili meat, drained it, and added the ground beef back in. I was looking for some chunky and some not so chunky meat textures.

Then, just like the packet says, I added in one 8 ounce can of tomato sauce, 2 cups of water, all seasonings except the masa and red pepper, and let it simmer (covered) for about 30 minutes. I wanted mild chili last night, so I didn't use any of the red pepper, but I usually only use 1/2 of the pkt.

I used the masa pkt according to WF's directions--mixed it with 1/4 cup warm water, added it to the chili, and continued to simmer for another 20 minutes.

Next time, I'm going to do this using the spices that I already have. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to keep buying the chili kit.

Looks and sounds terific.

chilefarmer

Cooksie, yep, I could go for a big bowl of red bout now. Looks good to me. I agree beans are good eats , just not in chili. CF:smile:

chilefarmer

Cooksie, I buy from spicebarn, always fresh fast delivery and super prices.
I used to buy from Pendery's (and they are good) I just found spicebarn.com to be some what lower in price.
CF

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Good info, CF. I had to go look:

Spicebarn - around $7 lb
Pendery's - around $12 lb
Penzeys - around $21 lb

Now I know why I've never bought anything from Penzeys :yum:.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here is my favorite Chile recipe without beans.

Texas Chili Recipe - Tyler Florence

Ingredients:
Chili Seasoning
3 dried ancho peppers, stemmed and seeded
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 tablespoons whole coriander
1 tablespoon cumin seed
1 tablespoon chili powder

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 onions, chopped
3 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 canned chipotle chile, chopped
1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped
2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, hand crushed
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons masa harina (corn meal)
1/2 tablet Mexican chocolate (about 1 1/2 ounces)
Grated queso fresco, for garnish (cheese)
Cilantro leaves, for garnish
Lime wedges, for garnish

In a small dry skillet over low heat add the ancho peppers, oregano, paprika, coriander, cumin, and chili powder. Cook until they begin to smell, about 2 minutes. Put the spices into a spice mill or food processor and grind until they are powdered. Set aside.

Heat a large heavy bottomed casserole over medium heat; add 3 tablespoons olive oil and the onions. Cook until the onions are soft and beginning to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Pat the beef dry and season it with salt and pepper. Add it to the pot and cook, stirring frequently, until it has browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of the toasted spice mix, the garlic, chipotle, jalapeno, tomatoes, cinnamon stick, and sugar. Season with salt and stir well. Add some hot water until the meat is just covered with liquid. Return to the boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove the meat and shred it with a fork. Return it to the pot, stir in the masa harina and chocolate, and cook for another 10 minutes, uncovered, to thicken. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with the queso fresco, cilantro, and lime for garnish.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Cooksie

Site Supporter
One more time...Bowl of Red made with, once again :encore:, Wick Fowler's Two Alarm Chili Kit, which I tone down to One Alarm:

WickFowlerChili.jpg

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
see, my problem is I have to debate the peanut gallery before being allowed to put meat in......

a no beans version here would be,,,, ah,,,, tomato soup? (g)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Posting repeats (including photos!) of past dishes is a great way to bump up favorites!

I'd forgotten about your original post, Cooksie. I like the idea of adding a little masa to a chili recipe!

Thanks for the bump!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
see, my problem is I have to debate the peanut gallery before being allowed to put meat in......

a no beans version here would be,,,, ah,,,, tomato soup? (g)

Sometimes I'm not sure if you're kidding around or not :confused:. In my world you can add beans or leave them out. It's still chili. No meat, on the other hand, don't know about that one, I guess vegetarians still need their chili too :unsure:.

K

Kimchee

I just discovered a relatively easy way to put flavor in your chili that will astound you.
Buy some dried ancho and guajillo chilies. Toast them in a skillet until you smell them. Then rehydrate in enough chicken stock to cover for twenty minutes or so.
Take them out, cut them up and blend them into a smooth puree. Add some of the chicken stock if needed.
Use that in place of your powdered chili seasoning.
You will be amazed. Smoky, fruity, a depth of flavor that powder will never give you.
Not hot. If you want heat, add some chili d'arbo or good old red pepper flakes.
Try it. You'll like it. I will never go back to chili powder again.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I love chili. Just made a pot. Pretty much what y'all do, except, I use half hiring beef and half sweet Italian sausage.

Johnny West

I’m making this up as I go. I browned beef shanks (salt and peppered), onion, and garlic, added a box of beef broth (no veg or sugar added), and have it braising at 300°F. I’ll let it go for 5 hours. I couldn’t get all three in the broth so hope the top one gets done properly. It should all be done by 1800.

DCE0D753-446E-40EC-A27F-F66692AD7704.jpeg
05BC1290-7447-476E-A69F-0D00B94E8816.jpeg
98E455A6-09F6-4678-BF77-5DBE988C88B8.jpeg
C9F144D4-7AF8-44F4-B0C6-7FCAD29DDF7B.jpeg
C9C25E93-F376-4707-959F-D9DA79752599.jpeg

Johnny West

It looks good to me, tastes good, but when I’m so used to hamburger or cut up stew meat, this became very stringy but tender. The chili powders I used made it very spicy. I’m glad I didn’t put a hatch chili cube in it.

I wished I’d of slurped up the marrow rather than incorporating it in the chili.

2E2544D7-649C-4AF2-B849-202FB1BA40ED.jpeg
3347DCE2-61D2-462E-B7EE-9BDB1665EB3B.jpeg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It looks good to me, tastes good, but when I’m so used to hamburger or cut up stew meat, this became very stringy but tender. The chili powders I used made it very spicy. I’m glad I didn’t put a hatch chili cube in it.

I wished I’d of slurped up the marrow rather than incorporating it in the chili.

View attachment 48111View attachment 48112

Looks good to me! Marrow-slurping is one of life's great pleasures, lol!

Lee