What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Re: What are you baking today?

I'm working on an onion pump recipe. I made them years ago (my recipe for a raisin pump is here: http://www.recipesonrails.com/recipes/show/532 ), but I want to see if I can draw the process out over two days (easier on my back). So... I'm using a sourdough starter instead of a poolish, cut back to about 5% of the flour weight. I mixed the dough this morning, and then shaped it this evening. I'm hoping it holds, and doesn't overproof by tomorrow. Then I'll bake them in the WFO. If they turn out, I'll post some pictures tomorrow

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

all sorts today!

Making the cake for Coco's birthday celebration tomorrow. It's a mocha cake with chocolate rum cream filling and chocolate rum glaze.

I'm also making a pumpkin and feta pie for her. Sauteed pumpkin with feta between phyllo sheets.

I made an apple strudel with puff pastry for dessert. Sauteed the apples with dried cranberries, orange zest, gloves, ginger and cinnamon.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

So, the pump turned out pretty good. A tad sweet and I think it could use a little less coffee. I'm going to adjust the recipe and do another batch tonight. That said, the timing was perfect. Baked them about noon today and the crumb was just about perfect :)

Attachments

• P1040485.JPG
    P1040485.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 101
  • P1040487.JPG
    P1040487.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 93
  • P1040489.JPG
    P1040489.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 105
  • P1040491.JPG
    P1040491.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 100
  • P1040508.JPG
    P1040508.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 99

Deelady

Thanks Joe :) Do you have any pictures of it somewhere??

Bread looks great UnConundrum!

Deelady

Wow!! I guess you do!! Thank you!

Are you able to use all purpose flour in place of the unbleaded flour without much difference? I have the wheat flour, but my other flour is all purpose.....thanks Joe :)

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Me and my brother did our bread baking fundraiser today and had a really good class with enthusiastic students. The class was relatively small, but we still managed to raise $550 for the food pantry. With the way the economy is right now, I consider that to be a good fundraiser.

Here's what we made and what everyone got to sample. Nobody went away hungry.

Here's the Slovenian Potica...

P1020181.jpg

Here are one of the two dozen cinnamon rolls I made...

P1020182.jpg

And here was a bonus that I threw in; Sticky Buns!

P1020184.jpg

I didn't get to these for a good picture of these before everyone started devouring them. I need to put together a recipe for these, because it was from something I downloaded and blended with another recipe. It's handwritten but I need to enter it in the computer. They were MARVELOUS!

Barb (homecook) was there and got to sample everything. I'll defer to her for her comments.

Deelady

awww :( I was hoping to make this tomorrow but I just realized I only have one package of yeast left....well actuall I have 3 but the other two expired in 2008...oops :p

Deelady

ooh those looks fabulous Joe!! What is in the Slovenian bread? It looks like a sweet bread almost like a cinnamon/sugar bread.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

I made some whole wheat bread today, turned out good but I didn't take any pictures, sorry! I have been having much better and more consistent results since switching to King Arthur unbleached bread flour and Hodkins Mill stone ground whole wheat flour. This last loaf was 3 cups bread flour to 1 cup whole wheat flour, it came out with just about the right consistency I was looking for which is for making sandwiches.

homecook

Me and my brother did our bread baking fundraiser today and had a really good class with enthusiastic students. The class was relatively small, but we still managed to raise $550 for the food pantry. With the way the economy is right now, I consider that to be a good fundraiser.

Here's what we made and what everyone got to sample. Nobody went away hungry.

Here's the Slovenian Potica...

P1020181.jpg

Here are one of the two dozen cinnamon rolls I made...

P1020182.jpg

And here was a bonus that I threw in; Sticky Buns!

P1020184.jpg

I didn't get to these for a good picture of these before everyone started devouring them. I need to put together a recipe for these, because it was from something I downloaded and blended with another recipe. It's handwritten but I need to enter it in the computer. They were MARVELOUS!

Barb (homecook) was there and got to sample everything. I'll defer to her for her comments.

And sample I did!!! Everthing was absolutely delicious. I think I'm still on a sugar high!!!! They made everything look easy enough to make and explained everything in detail. I really learned alot, just like the bread baking class, Joe has got me hooked once again! It was a very informative class and I'm really glad I got the chance to go.......Joe and his twin brother are definitely two peas in a pod. LOL His other (younger?) brother was also there and he was a card also. It was alot of fun!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Wow!! I guess you do!! Thank you!

Are you able to use all purpose flour in place of the unbleaded flour without much difference? I have the wheat flour, but my other flour is all purpose.....thanks Joe :)
Shame on me for not getting back to you on this question. All Purpose (AP) and bread flour both come in bleached and unbleached. The AP has a lower protein content, thus lengthening the time for the gluten to develop in the dough. I use AP flour for no-knead bread because I let it sit for 12-20 hours, and the gluten develops slowly over that time. When making traditional breads like the whole wheat, you want a bread flour with at least a 10% protein content to get the dough to double in size in about an hour. If you use AP flour, it could take 2x or longer to double in size, which is why we use bread flour. You could boost your AP flour by using 1 teaspoon of vital wheat gluten per cup of AP flour, and achieve similar results as you would using bread flour, but that is an added expense which is more costly than buying bread flour. This is also a step I reserve for when I am using coarse flours like rye and stone ground whole wheat, to boost the protein content.

In short, yes, you can use AP, but be prepared to wait for lengthy gluten development and rise times.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

I'm making a new bread for me today, Potato, Cheddar and Chive Torpedoes, from The Bread Baker's Apprentice on page 278. I've wanted to make this for awhile, so I made extra mashed potatoes on Sunday and saved the potato water as well. My sourdough starter is very active since I've been making a lot of sourdough no-knead loaves, and I have lots of chives in the garden. I used 1/4 Cup of fresh chopped chives (1 oz.) for this recipe. I have the dough on first rise (90 minutes), so I'll post pics later when it's done.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Here are the steps to making the Potato, Cheddar, and Chive Torpedoes from Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice. This bread uses 1-1/2 C of sourdough starter for flavor.

Dough mixed and ready for 90 minute proof.

P1020188.jpg

After 90 minute proof and ready to be punched down and split into two pieces.

P1020189.jpg

Dough has been divided and folded on itself four times, then flattened out to about 6" x 8" and covered with grated sharp cheddar. You could also use strips of cheddar if you have a bulk piece.

P1020190.jpg

Loaves rolled and ready for second proof of 60 minutes.

P1020191.jpg

Loaves proofed 60 minutes and slashed ready for baking at 500 F for 3 minutes on a stone, then 27 minutes at 450F. A steam pan was used on the bottom of the oven to create a steam environment, then the walls were sprayed with water 3 times at 30 second intervals.

P1020192.jpg

Finally, the finished loaves...

P1020193.jpg

P1020195.jpg

homecook

Oh Joe.........that looks fantastic!!! Did it taste as good as it looks?? LOL

Cooksie

Site Supporter

That looks great. I don't know much at all about baking, so this may be a dumb question. You spray the walls of your oven with water while this is cooking?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Oh Joe.........that looks fantastic!!! Did it taste as good as it looks?? LOL
It is DELICIOUS! With 8 oz. of mashed potatoes and 8 oz of potato water, the crumb is exceptionally soft.

That looks great. I don't know much at all about baking, so this may be a dumb question. You spray the walls of your oven with water while this is cooking?
I put 1 cup of boiling water into a preheated pan on the bottom of the oven (carefully) then close the door. Then I spray the walls and at 30 second intervals 2-3 times. This gives aded moisture to the outside of the bread and gives it color and texture. it was crispy when i drew the bread knife through it to slice it.

Cooksie

Site Supporter

It is DELICIOUS! With 8 oz. of mashed potatoes and 8 oz of potato water, the crumb is exceptionally soft.

I put 1 cup of boiling water into a preheated pan on the bottom of the oven (carefully) then close the door. Then I spray the walls and at 30 second intervals 2-3 times. This gives aded moisture to the outside of the bread and gives it color and texture. it was crispy when i drew the bread knife through it to slice it.

Thanks! I had never heard of doing that.

homecook

I baked two loaves of Italian bread this morning.....

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 124

Deelady

Ohhhhh I want some HC!!! PLEASE?? :) is it too late for me to make some today or is it a long process?? also I only have one yeast packet...is that enough?

homecook

Ohhhhh I want some HC!!! PLEASE?? :) is it too late for me to make some today or is it a long process?? also I only have one yeast packet...is that enough?

Figure about 3 hours total, from mixing to baking. It calls for 2-1/2 tsp. yeast.....is that how much is in a packet? I use the instant yeast. It's JoeV's recipe (who else's?) I believe it's posted here in the bread section. One loaf is just about gone........LOL

Deelady

hmmmm I guess it will have to wait can't wait that long to eat ;) I'll have to check my yeast packet, I dont remember the amount in them......looks great HC!

Status
Not open for further replies.