HOME REMEDY FOR A SPLINTER??

Deelady

Any one have a good home remedy for a splinter? My little one has a pretty good one in her thumb, I just tried a credit card and that didn't work....when I run my finger over I don't feel it so its completely inside :(

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
My grandmother used to put a piece of bacon on a deep splinter and then wrap it up with a strip of cloth. She said the salty bacon would draw out the splinter. But I can't remember if it really worked or not. For my kids, I get a piece of ice, a very fine sewing needle sterilized in alcohol and a pair of tweezers. Apply the ice on the splinter til her finger is numb and then work fast with needle.

Calicolady

If that doesn't work, soak it alittle to soften skin, dry the skin area, then try duct tape

Last edited:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
We use some germolene or other anti bac cream, cover with a plaster and leave. It should come to the surface.

Deelady

well I got as far as soaking it in ice water...but everything I try she tells me to put it away......

chowhound

Wow. Things have really changed. I did, and still do, stick a pin in the hole the splinter left and lift the skin out of the way. Then pull it out. Well, usually I use a knife or whatever is handy, but a pin works good and I always kept one in my toolbox. You haven't had a splinter until you've had one from a miniscule piece of sheetmetal. Those suckers hurt worse than a wood splinter right off the bat, but wood splinters tend to fester.
It's only in the outer skin isn't it, or did it go straight into the finger?

Deelady

well I can completely see it so its pretty close to the surface. As far as prying it out....shes two....don't think she'll let that happen.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
well I got as far as soaking it in ice water...but everything I try she tells me to put it away......
I hear you, Dee. It is helpful with younger ones to position yourself with your back kind of to her so she can't actually see the needle, etc. Especially if you have a Popsicle or lolly to give her while you work.

Also with my boys, I usually described in graphic detail how they could get blood poisoning and their finger would rot off if I didn't get the splinter out. But that may be too much for a girl.

Calicolady

I know what you mean the 2 of you. Poor baby.
Mom was sadistic.
She'd use the pin/needle deal and wiggle it around. Did you ever want to smack your mama?
OOO steel wool ain't no picnic either, Chowhound

Last edited:

jkath

Pour hydrogen peroxide over the splinter - the bubbles will do two things:
1. sanitize
2. bubble out the splinter.

If it's still lodged in really deep, spray a good amount of solarcaine spray on the area and blow on it to dry it (that will also make it feel nice and cool for her).
Then you can go at it with some very fine tweezers or a needle (clean well with rubbing alcohol first)
After it's out, let her choose a really special bandaid - my kids always liked that part.

PS - don't soak it in water - it will make the skin and splinter both swell, making it even harder to get out.
Good luck!

Also, make sure to really really soap up her hand good afterward, being two she may put her hand in her mouth and the solarcaine isn't good tasting!

Deelady

well looks like I'm doing everything wrong.....:( I put antisectic on it and a band aid hoping it will work its way out.....
Is it really dangerous to keep it in there? It doesn't seem to be hurting her other than when I am messing with it.
Oh goodness I need to figure this silly thing out soon because its someone bed time!

jkath

What antiseptic did you use?
Keep in mind, anything to sanitize is good, but putting a bandaid on it will keep it from coming out. It really needs to come out before it gets red and puffy. Then she'll be a sad girl for sure!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
It really depends on what the splinter is. If it's weathered wood, it is likely to get infected. Infected fingers hurt worse and you still have to get the splinter out. Believe it or not, glass rarely gets infected and is one of the least worrisome foreign bodies.

Deelady

the antiseptic was a jel like neosprain (sp)

I believe she got it from a weather chunk of wood she found in the back yard.....

ok so I should try peroxide?

jkath

definitely the peroxide. If she won't hold still while you pour it over, just put a bit into a small container (like a shot glass) and let her put her finger into it for about 10 seconds (good time to play the counting game!)

If you can get a hold of some solarcaine, not only will it help in this case, it will also be a good thing to keep around for kitchen burns.

As for the neosporin, it is a good product, however, next time you need to buy some, try to find bacitracin. It's also a good ointment, found in the same place you'd find the neo, but besides helping a cut heal faster, it will also keep deep wounds from scarring. Just my two cents.

Calicolady

jkath, all that makes sense to me. Good advise. I thought the bugger was sticking out. Duct tape works for that.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Since it's wood, I'd recommend getting it out if you can. Ice, Solarcaine or Extra Strength Oragel will all help to numb her finger. She will hate it but it will be over quickly and then you can kiss and cuddle her and tell her (and everyone else) what a big brave girl she is. (Sadly, this won't be the last splinter in her life.)

Give her a big kiss for me, Dee.

jkath

jkath, all that makes sense to me. Good advise. I thought the bugger was sticking out. Duct tape works for that.

Thanks - can you tell I was raised by a mom who was a nurse ;)
Also, Dad (the contractor) used duct tape for splinters outside.

I still can remember all the splinters I had going from my uppermost thigh to my ankle of the back of my right leg as a kid...
we had an outdoor staircase, and I thought I'd slide down it for fun.....not a good idea.

suziquzie

sorry... this screams of legos in noses....
:)
I'm evil.... I go chow's route.... I hold 'em down, dig a little and tweeze.

that said.... up until miss thang got you know what you know where....

I cant hold her down to get a toothbrush in....

sorry I am no help.

Deelady

Ok I think the drama is over! :) I let it sit in peroxide for a few the held her tight and pried out the majority of it, I still see a tiny spec deep in there but it really is barely a bit. I also put her finger in peroxide after ward as well hoping it will help loosen the rest while she sleeps!
I thought I had a good supply of first aid...I now see that I do not! I will look into the solarcaine ( is that the stuff that makes your skin orange or red?
Calico I wish I could have just used the duct tape but it was under tha skin and even so...I don't have any. I also remember being able to pour elmers glue on it and letting it dry then peeling it off.

Thank you all for your assistance in my mini tradgedy tonight!! ;)

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
You haven't had a splinter until you've had one from a miniscule piece of sheetmetal. Those suckers hurt worse than a wood splinter right off the bat, but wood splinters tend to fester.
It's only in the outer skin isn't it, or did it go straight into the finger?

i use to work daily with metal shavings, i use to drill holes in metal for 12 hours a day... i kept a strong magnet for those days in my tool box

Pour hydrogen peroxide over the splinter - the bubbles will do two things:
1. sanitize
2. bubble out the splinter.

If it's still lodged in really deep, spray a good amount of solarcaine spray on the area and blow on it to dry it (that will also make it feel nice and cool for her).
Then you can go at it with some very fine tweezers or a needle (clean well with rubbing alcohol first)
After it's out, let her choose a really special bandaid - my kids always liked that part.

PS - don't soak it in water - it will make the skin and splinter both swell, making it even harder to get out.
Good luck!

Also, make sure to really really soap up her hand good afterward, being two she may put her hand in her mouth and the solarcaine isn't good tasting!
:a1::agree: solarcaine also used for sunburns...freezes the spot temp.

Deelady

oh yes thats the stuff...I HATED that as a kid!!!

Thank FM....funny how the smallest thing can cause so much comotion!! She was very brave though :)

Calicolady

Aw, big hugs to the both of you. Have a popsicle sounds like the best advise now. LOL!
I do think it hurt you more than her, good mommy.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
oh yes thats the stuff...I HATED that as a kid!!!

Thank FM....funny how the smallest thing can cause so much comotion!! She was very brave though :)

i hated the stuff as well, still have some of the scars where my grandmother put it on me..lol

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
i hated the stuff as well, still have some of the scars where my grandmother put it on me..lol
Oh yeah. I remember two bottles of stuff that burned like hell - Merthiolate and Mercurochrome. They don't sell those anymore because the active agent in both of them was mercury and/or thimerosal, which can cause mercury poisoning.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
I had a splinter under my pinky nail that went all the way back to the quick. It stayed there for about a month. I wouldn't let my mom near it,lol
It festered up and finally, I push on my fingernail and it came right out.
BIL had one that was 2" long and 1/2 inch wide in the center of his hand. They couldn't take it out without damaging bone because it was wedged. Doc told them to keep mycetracin on it and keep it clean bandaged. His did the same thing. One day, mil went to clean it and it moved, so, she pushed down around it, just a little and it came right out. It's not going to hurt her. Just keep it clean and put mycetracin on it. If it starts to look infected, take her to the doctor, but, the mycetracin will be great for it.