Peep's Spinach Pies

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
This is my recipe and I never measure, but tonight I took my time and tried to get measurements but you can adjust to your taste.

Enjoy and let me know how you like them.

Peep's Spinach Pies

2 (10 oz) boxes or 1 (20 oz bag) Frozen spinach - thawed and squeezed dry
1 (8 oz) pkg. feta cheese - crumbled
1 Stick of butter
1 Medium Onion- chopped fine
1/2 cup Grated Romano cheese -or to taste
1/2 cup Grated parmesan cheese - or to taste
Lemon juice - to taste
Hot sauce - to taste
additional 1 stick of Butter - for brushing
1/2 of a 1 lb box of frozen Phyllo leaves (1 bag = 1/2 lb) - thawed according to box

Thaw and squeeze all the water out of the spinach. Place 1 stick of butter in a large skillet and add the onion. Just soften the onions no color. Add the feta cheese and about 1/4 lb. each of the Romano and parmesan cheeses to the pan and stir over medium heat to melt. Add enough lemon juice to give it a nice tang. Add hot sauce to taste. Slowly add the spinach to pan and combine thoroughly. Set aside to cool.

Cut Phyllo leaves in half across the width. Stack leaves and place between a "sandwich" of waxed paper. Then place the waxed paper sandwiched leaves in a sandwich of a damp towel and cover to prevent drying out. Remove leaves as needed and recover unused stack.

Melt additional 1 stick of butter and use to brush on each Phyllo leaf (if you don't do this the leaves become very brittle and hard to work with) before placing the filling on. Roll them in any shape you would like. I do triangles or pillows, be sure to close edges or filling will ooze out while browning. Repeat for each Phyllo leaf. Brush tops with a small amount of butter.

Bake in a preheated 450˚ oven for about 3 - 4 minutes or until browned then turn over and repeat. You may place under broiler to brown if you prefer.

You may freeze. To heat frozen pies: place frozen pies on baking sheet and follow the same directions as above; except add a little extra time.

Makes approx. 46

Pictures

Butter, onions, feta cheese, romano and parmasan cheeses, lemon juice and hot sauce in pan.

picture.php

picture.php

Squeeze out spinach added to pan.

picture.php

picture.php

Cut phyllo leaves in 1/2 across the width.
Sandwich between a sheet of waxed paper than a damp kitchen table.

picture.php

picture.php

Assembled and ready for the broiler.

picture.php

picture.php

Nicely browned under the broiler.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OMG, peeps! How absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!

I wish I had a couple of those babies right now!

Nice job!

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
OMG, peeps! How absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!

I wish I had a couple of those babies right now!

Nice job!

Lee
thank you sweetie!! they were yummy!! i deceded if i couldn't sleep i may as well be productive!! :chef:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Not sure when to freeze...before or after baking. How do they turn out after being frozen? are they still flaky and crispy?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Not sure when to freeze...before or after baking. How do they turn out after being frozen? are they still flaky and crispy?
freeze uncooked. i assemble them and place on a tray, place tray in freezer till frozen solid then put them in a zip bag. to cook just put them FROZEN (do not thaw or they will get soggy) on a tray and bake till golden on one side then flip and repeat. i just put them under the broiler but you need to make sure you don't BBQ them!! yes they will come out crispy so long as they go in frozen.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
picture.php

I made some of these today so I took some pictures of the folding.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I am not a big fan of cooked spinach but they do look great. The cheesy sauce would do it for me. You made over 40 and they are all gone?:mrgreen:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I am not a big fan of cooked spinach but they do look great. The cheesy sauce would do it for me. You made over 40 and they are all gone?:mrgreen:

Thank you MM.

Well no. DD and I made 1/2 batch so far today and 1/2 of them are gone. I gave my thumb a nice nick while chopping the onions (carpal tunnel numbness and chopping NOT a good thing). Once I got that under control I finished the filling and we folded 1/2 batch before it started hurting so I gave up for now. I may use some of the filling to stuff a couple chicken breasts.

Embryodad

They are Great looking peep!

Thanks for the method on how to fill them.

Now I need Tina to make them....hahahahaha ...
Now I'm also wishing for those Pasties...the meat and potato and parsnips filled pies.
Some Church Groups make them around this time...I'll have to look out for them.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for adding the photos of the folding process, Peep! I thought that was how to do it, but wasn't sure.

Looks as if you used 2 pieces of phyllo there? And butter just the side where you put the filling on, right?

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thanks for adding the photos of the folding process, Peep! I thought that was how to do it, but wasn't sure.

Looks as if you used 2 pieces of phyllo there? And butter just the side where you put the filling on, right?

Lee
Butter first sheet, top with second sheet and butter that one also. Then filling and fold. Sometimes I cut them wider and butter one side and fold over buttered side then butter top.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
update.gif

Pictures were lost in migration. So I took the opportunity to update the recipe.

Peep's Mini Spinach Pies

Makes approx. 46
  • 1 Stick of butter
  • 1 Medium Onion- chopped fine
  • 1 (8 oz.) pkg. feta cheese - crumbled
  • 1/2 cup Grated Romano cheese -or to taste
  • 1/2 cup Grated parmesan cheese - or to taste
  • Lemon juice - to taste
  • Hot sauce - to taste
  • 2 (10 oz.) boxes or 1 (20 oz. bag) Frozen spinach - thawed and squeezed dry
  • 1/2 of a 1 lb. box of frozen Phyllo leaves (1 bag = 1/2 lb.) - thawed according to box
  • Additional Butter - for brushing

Thaw and squeeze all the water out of the spinach. Set aside.

Place 1 sticks of butter in a large skillet and add the onion. Just soften the onions no color.

Add the feta cheese and about 1/4 lb. each of the Romano and parmesan cheeses to the pan and stir over medium heat to melt.

Add enough lemon juice to give it a nice tang. Add hot sauce to taste.

Slowly add the spinach to pan and combine thoroughly. Set aside to cool.

Cut Phyllo leaves in half across the width. Stack leaves and place between a "sandwich" of waxed paper. Then place the waxed paper sandwiched leaves in a sandwich of a damp towel and cover to prevent drying out. Remove leaves as needed and recover unused stack.

Melt butter and use to brush on each Phyllo leaf (if you don't do this the leaves become very brittle and hard to work with) before placing the filling on. Place a small amount of filling at the top short end. Roll/fold them in any shape you would like. I do triangles or pillows, be sure to close sides/edges or filling will ooze out while browning. Repeat for each Phyllo leaf.

NOTE: If you choose to do a triangle/tricorn: Fold the tricorn as if folding a flag. If you choose to do a pillow: Fold down several turns then fold sides over to middle and overlap then continue to roll down to end.

Seal the ends/tails with butter and place fold side/tail down.

Brush tops with a small amount of butter.

Bake in a preheated 450˚F oven for about 3 - 4 minutes or until browned then turn over and repeat. For faster browning place under broiler till browned on one side the flip and repeat on other side. Be careful not to burn.

TIP: You may freeze uncooked pies: Assemble and place on a tray. Place tray in freezer till pies are frozen solid. Remove to zip bags or container and store in freezer.

To heat frozen pies: DO NOT THAW. Place frozen pies on baking sheet and follow the same directions as above; except add a little extra time.

Tutorial Pictures

Butter, onions, feta cheese, Romano and Parmesan cheeses, lemon juice and hot sauce in pan.

spinach_pie_072609_1_P1030573.JPG

Squeezed out spinach added to pan.

spinach_pie_072609_2_P1030576.JPG

Cut Phyllo leaves in 1/2 across the width.

Sandwich between a sheet of waxed paper than a damp kitchen towel.

spinach_pie_072609_3_P1030579.JPG

NOTE: Fold the tricorn as if folding a flag. Seal the end/tail with butter and place fold side/tail down.

spinach_pie_fold_021712_1_P1090760.JPG

spinach_pie_fold_021712_2_P1090763.JPG

spinach_pie_fold_021712_3_P1090765.JPG

spinach_pie_fold_021712_4_P1090766.JPG

spinach_pie_fold_021712_5_P1090767.JPG

spinach_pie_fold_021712_6_P1090769.JPG

Continued next post