1 small carrot, finely chopped
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 tablespoon pepper
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Finely shred the cabbage and carrots (I use a food processor for this).
In a large bowl, combine the sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, vinegar and lemon juice.
Mix well.
Stir in the cabbage and carrots.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Not too fast though, I have to be careful not to fall off the porch...

Last edited:

chowhound

Similar to the one I use, Mama, except for the milk. That's a huge deviation. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks.

Hey Mama, any tricks to keeping the carrots from turning the dressing orange? My slaw always turns orange after a couple days. It still tastes good, but looks kinda funky because it's orange.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Similar to the one I use, Mama, except for the milk. That's a huge deviation. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks.

Hey Mama, any tricks to keeping the carrots from turning the dressing orange? My slaw always turns orange after a couple days. It still tastes good, but looks kinda funky because it's orange.

I don't know. Mine is never around for a couple of days.

chowhound

It's just too hard for me to make salw for one, Mama. I always end up with enough to have salad for the week.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Maybe cut the recipe in half. I wouldn't think it would turn orange in 3 or 4 days. Use the other half of the cabbage for boiled cabbage.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Very similar to DW's recipe except for the milk. She buys the shredded cole slaw mix in a bag and usually makes it the day before she serves it so all the stuff can soak in. Never had a problem turning orange from the carrots. Like others, it doesn't last more than a day or two.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
This looks like the slaw at our local fish house, which is the absolute best slaw available 'round here..........thanks Mama !

Calicolady

Mine minus the milk too. I also use the angel hair cut in the bag and add more carrots.
Chow, remember what I said about drying the potatoes before making hash browns? Try drying, wringing out the carrots. That should help.

chowhound

I was wondering that same thing, Calico.
Next time I'm going to shred them first, dump them out of the FP, then wring them and put them in the mixing bowl. Right now I shred the cabbage first then add the carrots to shred. This mixes everything up well right in the FP. I need to get to the bottom of my orange slaw. It's making me see red :mrgreen:

Calicolady

Let me know how you make out. I don't have a large FP, so I grate mine with a box grater right on top of papertowels.
It works for me.

Also, whoever said they wind up with a ton, me too. Too much for 1 person even if I eat it with dinner every night.
As much as I love it. It does get rediculious.

Oh, and the other thing I see different in the recipe vs mine is I add celery seed.

chowhound

That was me. Even using half a small head you get a ridiculous amount for one person. I use my 7qt FP. It does a great job and was about half the price from the larger sized ones.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That was me. Even using half a small head you get a ridiculous amount for one person. I use my 7qt FP. It does a great job and was about half the price from the larger sized ones.

What about the neighbors you used to take ribs to? They don't like cole slaw? :wink:

chowhound

Lol.... I don't want to be "too" neighborly.
I actually took them two different kinds of slaw when I cooked up all those country ribs they brought over. They loved the ribs. They didn't say a thing about the slaw. I figured maybe they were being polite and not saying they don't like cabbage. I know if it wasn't for KFC I never would have had coleslaw. It's not standard fair up here. I don't think they eat a very varied diet anyway. They don't like ABTs either :ohmy:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Lol.... I don't want to be "too" neighborly.
I actually took them two different kinds of slaw when I cooked up all those country ribs they brought over. They loved the ribs. They didn't say a thing about the slaw. I figured maybe they were being polite and not saying they don't like cabbage. I know if it wasn't for KFC I never would have had coleslaw. It's not standard fair up here. I don't think they eat a very varied diet anyway. They don't like ABTs either :ohmy:

What kinda place is that where you live? Maybe you just need to pack up and move down here with folks who like all kinds of food....oh....and be sure to bring the ribs with ya! :flowers:

chowhound

What kinda place is that where you live? Maybe you just need to pack up and move down here with folks who like all kinds of food....oh....and be sure to bring the ribs with ya! :flowers:

What kind of place? Let me put it to you this way....
When I was sitting at Bob Evans with my sister and BIL ordering breakfast, and my sister ordered grits, I damn near fell out of my chair! :shock:
:lol:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I've seen people do some pretty strange things to grits...sugar...mayonnaise...ketchup....grape jelly....it's scary.

chowhound

Well whatever she did to them, she didn't do it the next time we met there because she didn't order them (lol).

Now don't make me come down there and "pepper your ragu" :tongue:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3LY5lx68aQ&feature=related[/ame]

babe

Well whatever she did to them, she didn't do it the next time we met there because she didn't order them (lol).

Now don't make me come down there and "pepper your ragu" :tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3LY5lx68aQ&feature=related

gosh i love that movie, think i will get again from netflix.

i am going to make the smallest amount of that slaw i can as i too live alone. if i get sick of it will just toss it. my taste buds are worthy of a little waste. :thumb:

Jeff G.

I have been told mine is great. Frankly it isn't anything special.

Shredded cabbage(slaw mix veggies, what ever).
Miracle whip
Sugar
milk
celery seeds

I don't have amounts.. I just make it.

Make sure to sprinkle the shredded cabbage with the sugar first and let it set for at least 10 minutes. Then add the other ingredients.
I cooked a big dinner for 35 people(all you could eat). Slaw was one of the sides. I started with 5lbs of shredded cabbage... they were scraping the bowl at the end of the dinner. I don't really know, but that seems like a lot of slaw for 35 people.