Scrapple!

YeOldeStonecat

Next to super super super duper thick sliced bacon...I think Scrapple is my 2nd favorite breakfast meat.

Anyone else a fan?

I can cookup a eat a whole brick of it.

'course..tummy isn't so good for the rest of the day due to all that pork rind fat.

GrantsKat

I've never had it, but I did see a Diners,Dives and Drive-ins episode not long ago in which Guy didnt look to thrilled about it lol, I dont think I could find it around here though...

buckytom

Grill Master
grey scrapple?

that must be made from scraps of old pigs. ;)

i love scrapple, but only get it once in a blue moon, when i'm down south joisey for breakfast.

a slice of it should be fried to a carmel brown.

gadzooks

Grew up in Pennsylvania...scrapple capital of the universe. Gooooooood stuff. Fry slices of it and add a little maple syrup...heaven for breakfast.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I like it too, but have only had it in PA.

Do you make your own, gad?

Lee

gadzooks

No. My grandparents butchered hogs, and made their own. Back in Pa. it could be bought anywhere. There are a couple of places here in SoCal where I can buy it for a good price, so no need. If I couldn't buy it, I would make it, though. It's pretty basic...corn meal and everything pig that you can't make anything else out of.

PanchoHambre

grey scrapple?

that must be made from scraps of old pigs. ;)

in the package it has a greyish-pink tinge to it

scrapple.jpg

I have never been able to get past that and think oh yeah this is something I want to buy... now if someone had some homemade and fried it up for me that would be another story

gadzooks

Have someone else buy it and fry it for you the first time. Real maple syrup, not the fake stuff to dress it. Maybe a couple fried eggs along side.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Holy mackerel, there are a zillion different recipes for this stuff!

Looks like the most traditional use organs and pig scraps, as gadzooks noted. But you can make it with ground up pork shoulder, loin, pork sausage, ground pork, etc.

I love the sausage idea, but I think I'll try this one first, for a breakfast dinner http://www.recipezaar.com/Philadelphia-Scrapple-77952.

You know what would be cool? If we scrapple fans could get together and have a SCRAPPLE THROWDOWN!!! Try 'em ALL! LOL!

Lee

YeOldeStonecat

You know what would be cool? If we scrapple fans could get together and have a SCRAPPLE THROWDOWN!!! Try 'em ALL! LOL!

Lee

Yup! :agree:

A common ingredient is pork snouts. Basically leftover various bits of meat and fat and skin from the head of a pig. Mixed in with cornmeal, and seasoning.

buckytom

Grill Master
have you ever eaten a pigs head?

my intro to how good they are was my buddy ozzy's annual pig roast.

i was always in charge of picking up the pig, helping get it set up on the bbq, then taking shifts throughout the night basting it. lol, and defending it from hungry, wasted late-first-night guests.

finally, when it was ready the second night, i was in charge of hacking it up into sizeable portions for the crowd. the head was removed first, and stuck on a pike at the front of the table, with tiki torches all around.

now, beacuse i was so busy, i usually didn't get the better cuts of the ribs, quarters, or even the belly. but one year, an old timer showed me how tasty the head could be, the meat and skin sliced off and fried or boiled.

the ears always went to the dogs, and i still don't have the guts to try the eyeballs.

here's an interesting italian way of handling a pigs head: http://www.gourmet.com/food/video/2008/09/cosentino_pigshead

gadzooks

We always made souse out of the pig's head...head cheese. Seasoned and boiled and reduced it. Scraped it and ground the meat, fat and gristle, snout, eyes, put it in loaf pans to set, and sliced it for sandwiches. It looks awful, but tastes OK. I wouldn't... order it in a restaurant. And don't look in your sandwich, it might look back at you. Brain went in scrapple.

Last edited:

Wart

Banned
Yes, first time have someone else fry it up for you, don't ask whats in it. Don't read the package.

I make my own Mush, about the most simple thing to make, far better than what we've gotten from the store.

I haven't looked at any of the scrabble recipes, I've been thinking of making my own by frying up broken up sausage links in a pan and using the pan to make the mush. Learn as I go.

Mush is better sliced thick. Scrabble is better sliced thin.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, well I picked a recipe that called for everything I had, and I made Scrapple this weekend.

It was quite yellow, not grey, and it seemed like pork polenta. The seasonings made it taste like sausage, but I would increase the amount of seasoning in the recipe below - it was kinda bland.

We liked it okay, but again, it seemed like polenta rather than a meat dish. Maybe there is too much cornmeal in this recipe. It didn't slice nicely like Spam, but wanted to fall apart - I had to kind of mush it together to maintain the slices.

Lee

Ground Pork Scrapple

1 1/2 lbs ground pork, covered by 1 1/2 quarts water
1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal mixed with 1 1/2 cups cold water
1/8 teas. dried basil
2 teas. dried sage
1 T. salt
1/2 teas. garlic powder
1/2 teas. poultry seasoning
1 T ground black pepper
1 teas. nutmeg
1/2 teas onion powder

Crumble pork in a pot and cover with 1 1/2 quarts water. Cook until pork turns grey color, breaking up clumps.

Strain pork, but save stock.

Bring stock to a boil again. Mix cornmeal with 1 1/2 cups cold water. Slowly add the cornmeal/water mix to boiling stock, stirring until thick.

Return meat to cornmeal mixture and continue cooking on low heat, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes, till the mixture is gloppy.

Add seasonings and mix thoroughly.

Pour mixture into greased loaf pan and refrigerate immediately. Chill for several hours or overnight.

To serve, slice scapple and fry both sides in butter until browned.

The "glop" after being cooked 30 minutes.

Scrapple slices ready for frying.

Scrapple slices browned

PanchoHambre

Now Wart and Q-Sis make scrapple look like something I would want to eat. All I ever associate it with is the store packaged stuff which looks unappetizing... I will need to find a good source and give it a try