Southern Cornbread Dressing for Turkey or Chicken

Here in the Deep South we couldnt have Thanksgiving or Christmas without Turkey and Dressing and spaced throughout the year it will be Chicken and Dressing. Nothing about this is real specific, so dont stress over it. If you have a question, email me at Recipes.Receipts@gmail.com and I will help you out with it.

Southern Cornbread Dressing
(you can call it Stuffing if you want)

The Day Before .... Boil a Baking Hen or Turkey and Make Two Large Pans of Buttermilk Cornbread. Please dont use a boxed mix or a recipe with a bunch of sugar in it. (I can give you a good recipe for Cornbread if you want.)
Refrigerate the Chicken Juice and skim off fat. You can leave a little but not too much.

Crumble 7-8 cups of Cornbread in large mixing bowl. That is Large Chunks, not totally mashed. Like pieces as big as quarters, etc. Not a big deal.
You can add 2-3 slices of bread if you want. Makes it stick together, but very much makes it gummy, I dont like that.

Take 2-3 cups of Juice and put in saucepan and add 2 cups of chopped onion and 2 cups of chopped celery.
Cook until about half-done 6-7 minutes ... not too much because you are going to bake it, too.
You can add about 1/2 of a bell pepper if you like ... sometimes good, but sometimes seems bitter to me, so I usually leave it out.
Add some salt (not too much) and about 3/4 teaspoon or more of sage (I love sage, so I add more) I put some black pepper (actually I use the 5 peppercorns, but black is fine, about 1 tsp). I usually add about 2 teaspoons sugar, too, helps bring out the flavors. Add about 1/2 cup butter (real is better)

Then break about 5,6,7 eggs in the middle of the crumbled cornbread in the bowl, Stir lightly and then dump the juice-veg mixture on top and blend.
It will probably be too dry so add add about another cup of juice or so. You want it wet, but not runny.

Because modern chickens are so fast grown and dont have that rich flavor I use two methods to "Beef-up" the chicken flavor.
Either boil some chicken and remove and save (like freeze) for a later use (nice to have on hand) and then boil another chicken in the same juice (doubling up the chicken flavor) or ...... use single-strength chicken juice and then add a can of cream of chicken soup or even two.

DO NOT, I REPEAT *DO NOT USE THAT CANNED CHICKEN BROTH*, I THINK IT TOTALLY RUINS IT, IT HAS ALMOST NO FLAVOR AND IT WILL GIVE IT A FUNNY SLICK METALLIC TASTE. WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT.

Either put it inside and around the chicken/turkey or make it in a separate casserole dish.
Cook it for about 45 minutes at 375* or so. Until it gets sorta lightly brown and crusty, but not too brown, it is better kinda lightly cooked, not overly.
It is good left over and eaten at sorta room temp or heated back up again, but heat only the part you are going to eat at the time, not all that is left.
You can even freeze it. I usually make double and freeze half.

Please do not use Cornbread Mix to make the Cornbread .... it is better to use Plain Cornmeal, not the kind with a lot of flour in it. I hope you will like it.

Last edited:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
That sounds great! And I agree on the canned chicken broth, works in a pinch but making your own is way better. In fact, got a chicken carcass in the kitchen right now that will get used to make broth!
Thanks for posting this!