Alcohol substitutions

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Alcohol substitutions:
2 T amaretto: 1/4 t to 1/2 t almond extract*
2 T bourbon/sherry: 1-2 t vanilla extract*
2 T brandy/rum: 1/2-1 t brandy or rum extract*
2 T Grand Marnier: 2 T unsweetened orange juice concentrate or 2 T orange juice + 1/2 t orange extract
2 T Kalua/chocolate liquor: 1/2 -1 t chocolate extract + 1/2-1 t instant coffee in 2 T water
1/4 cup or more brandy, port, rum, sweet sherry or fruit flavored liqueur: equal measure orange juice or apple juice + 1 t flavored extract or vanilla extract
1/4 cup or more red wine: equal measure of red grape juice or cranberry juice
1/4 cup or more white wine: equal measure of white grape juice or apple juice

* Water, milk, white grape juice or apple juice may be added to get the specified amount of liquid for recipes in which liquid amount is crucial.

smoke king

Banned
Thanks for posting this Susan. I was looking for a substitute for red wine the other night (to braise some cabbage) I eventually used some tart cherry juice and it turned out great!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes thanks though I can't imagine substituting for alcohol in my cooking but have saved this if I ever run out of what I need.

simplicity

This one's not listed Susan, but you might know. I have a recipe for a chocolate parfait dessert. The base is a simple chocolate cake. Then is says to drizzle some Chambord and a simple sugar mix on top of the cake. I don't want to buy a whole bottle or raspberry flavored liqueur for a recipe I may make once or twice. Any suggestions? It's an elegant looking dessert, but this will be a practise run at it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Besides Chambord it outrageously too. My wife use to sell it in a restaurant she worked it for $12 for a shot over ice cream. She got a bonus for every bottle she sold beside got to bring home the empty bottle which is blow glass.

Last edited:

simplicity

Besides Chambord it outrageously too. My wife use to sell it in a restaurant she worked it for $12 for a shot over ice cream. She got a bonus for every bottle she sold beside got to bring home the empty bottle which is blow glass.

I didn't want to hear that (sigh). I've eaten that chocolate/raspberry combination before but don't know how it's done. In this recipe you put raspberries and chocolate mousse on top. There's got to be another way.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Perhaps a raspberry jelly or jam would work. My wife used to serve that desert with vanilla ice cream, raspberries and Chambord. If you saw the movie Cocktail, him and the Australian shared a bottle Chambord just before the other guy shot himself.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
From the cooks thesaurusraspberry liqueur = framboise liqueur = liqueur de framboise Notes: This is great in champagne or on ice cream. Chambord is a popular brand. Don't confuse this with framboise, a raspberry brandy. Substitutes: crème de cassis OR orange liqueur OR raspberry extract (1 teaspoon raspberry extract = 2 tablespoons raspberry liqueur)
raus

simplicity

Thanks. That dang Chambord was holding me up from trying the recipe. I'm going to try to find raspberry extract first. The original recipe only calls for 1-1/2 ounce Chambord. I'd thought of jellies, jams, even raspberry flavored gelatin. Indecision on my part.