Pork & Tomatillo Posole

GotGarlic

Pork & Tomatillo Posole

4 pounds pork butt or shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into bite-sized pieces
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup corn oil
2 yellow onions, diced
1 1/2 pounds tomatillos, husked, cored and chopped
4 jalapenos, stemmed and minced (we remove seeds from two)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
8 cups chicken stock
2 14-oz. cans hominy
1 bunch cilantro, chopped

(garnish)
1/4 small head green cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 small red onion, finely diced
10 radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
2 limes, cut into wedges

Season the pork generously with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Brown the pork on each side, making sure to get good, golden color. Be careful not to crowd the pot. This will have to be done in batches. Reserve the browned pork in a medium bowl while you continue browning.

Pour out excess fat, then add the onions and a large pinch of salt. Saute for about 3 minutes, scraping up browned bits in the bottom of the pot. Add jalapenos, garlic and oregano and continue to cook for another 3 minutes. Add tomatillos and cook and stir another 3 minutes.

Add the reserved pork, any accumulated pork juices, and the chicken stock to the pot. Cover the pot, crank the heat to high and bring to a boil. Remove the lid, turn the heat down to low and simmer gently until the pork is tender and starting to fall apart, about 1-1/2 hours. Add hominy and cook for 30 minutes.

Stir in the cilantro and taste for seasoning - add salt and pepper if needed. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with shredded cabbage, diced red onion, sliced radishes, and lime wedges. Serves 6 to 8.

Attachments

• posole-1200w.jpg
    posole-1200w.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 147

Deelady

Wow!!! That looks unbelievable!! Wonderful recipe and pic thank you so much for sharing!!!

How long did it take you start to finish?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love posole, GG! That looks and sounds wonderful!

Nice job!

Lee

GotGarlic

Wow!!! That looks unbelievable!! Wonderful recipe and pic thank you so much for sharing!!!

How long did it take you start to finish?

Hi, Dee. It takes a long time to prep everything - this time, I started the night before and chopped all the veggies. I cut up the pork the morning I made it, and started cooking about 3 p.m. Sunday. I'd say it takes about an hour to prep and 30-45 minutes to brown the meat and veggies. After that, it simmers on its own for a couple of hours - you just add the hominy toward the end (or potatoes, as Keltin said, if you don't like hominy).

It is a bit spicy - you can taste it, but it doesn't burn you up :smile: If you or your family don't do spicy, remove all the seeds and membranes, or use different peppers. Bell peppers would sub in, but there would be no heat at all. But some people prefer it that way :smile: