-or- one 14.5 oz can corn
1 - 1 ½ # potatoes, peeled and diced large
One 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 c frozen peas
One 14.5 oz can green beans
1 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T salt, or to taste
Black pepper, to taste

In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, heat the oil or butter over high heat until smoking. Add the beef and brown in a single layer, turning the meat so it browns evenly. You may have to do this in batches to keep from crowding the meat.
Once the meat is browned, add the stock, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until tender, 2 - 3 hours.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add a little vegetable oil to it. Combine the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, and oregano, and sauté just until the onions are translucent and the mixture begins to caramelize. Add this to the stew, along with the corn, barley, potatoes, tomatoes, peas, green beans, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper. Stir. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until the veggies are done, about 15 minutes.
Taste to check for seasoning, and ladle into bowls to serve.

homecook

This sounds good Allen.
Ok, not to start WW3......is it a regional thing to add tomatoes to stew? Or is it the way you've always had it? I had never heard of tomatoes in stew, never had it that way. I am definitely going to try this and see what the difference is. Thanks!

Barb

AllenOK

I should probably rename it "Vegetable Beef Stew". My mother always put chunks of tomatoes into the stew, along with other veggies.

For a really long cook, the acid in tomatoes will help to tenderize the meat. However, the chunks of tomatoes will break down as well. You might find it easier to mix a can of crushed tomatoes with the broth, but you'll need to scale down the volume of broth.