Green Pea Salad recipie wanted....

I love green pea salad. Until a couple of years ago, I could buy it in the deli section of most supermarkets, but they no longer have locally made salads, and it is almost impossible to find a comercially prepared one. So - do any of you have a good recipie? I am the only one in the family who does like it, so it needs to be something that will keep in the fridge for a few days.

Thanks in advance

Fred

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Can you describe it that might help. My wife is a green pea lover so I make them a lot of different ways but I've not use them as a salad just as part of another salad.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
maybe something like this?

2/3 cup mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
1 cup diced celery
3 large sweet pickles, chopped
1 (16 ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed
3/4 cup cubed Cheddar cheese
6 leaves lettuce

In a large bowl, mix together mayonnaise, salt, pepper, red (or green) pepper, celery and pickles until combined. Stir in peas and cheese. Chill until ready to serve. Serve over lettuce leaves.

Peas are the main ingredient, usually mayonnaise is the binder, served chilled. It's all the remaining ingredients and proportions I'm looking for. I'm addicted to it, like it better than any potato or macaroni salad I've had - and they are among my favorite desserts!! Also like kidney bean salad, and need a good recipie for that too. When I was working in Iowa, I used to go to the local supermarket for lunch and just have their salads, but can't do that any more.

Fred

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The only things I could add to Jim's is perhaps roasted red bell peppers (can be found in most stores), some sun ripened tomatoes with perhaps a 50/50 of mayonnaise and sour creme.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What do you think of this one, GreenWannabe?

It was posted on another forum, and sounded wonderful to me, so I copied and saved it. Some of the same ingredients that jim posted, too.

I was thinking of ranch or blue cheese dressing for this, but mayo would be great, too!

Lee

Pea Salad (inspired by StirBlue)

Bag of frozen peas
chopped boiled eggs
small macaroni (optional)
small cubed cheese
crumbled bacon
scallions
creamy dressing

Last edited: