Scrapple, V2, Much better.

Wart

Banned
My first attempt at Scrapple, V1, can be {link}Read Here{link}. If your thinking of giving Scrapple a try you may want to read V1.

This time around it turned out much better.

1 pound tube of Bob Evans Hot (and spicy?) Pork Sausage.
1 cup* (6.25 ounces)* settled*
Water

I cut the sausage into 6 pieces, put in a pan and covered with 1/2 ~ 3/4 inches water.

Pictures are links to larger versions.

I simmered the sausage for 4 hours or so getting me this:

I removed the sausage and added enough water to make 32 ounces of broth. Pan was returned to burner and brought to boil while chopping the sausage.

After the sausage is chopped and water returned to a boil I added the corn meal and meat.

After cooking for around another 20 minutes stirring once or twice a minute I emptied this concoction into a (Crisco) greased pan

and let cool a bit before covering and putting into the fridge overnight.

Next morning I ran a knife around the perimeter of the pan and smacked it on the cutting board, it was stubborn, took more than one smack, sliced

And fried in a tablespoon of butter.

Good stuff.

This was far superior to my first attempt, V1.

NOTES:

*I cook by weight, 1 cup by volume of tapped and settled corn meal weighs 6.2 ~ 6.25 ounces. This (settling) makes it corn heavy in the 4:1 water to meal ratio, I guess. Doesn't really seem to make a difference. YMMV

While polenta does not get clumpy if added to hot liquid corn meal does. If I were to use corn meal again I would bring 24 ounces of broth to a boil and add 8 ounces cold water to the corn meal before adding to the broth to reduce/eliminate clumping.

I like the way polenta fries better than corn meal, polenta seems to yield a lighter crust.

> Simmering the pork and rendering the connective tissue made one heck of a difference. Mush and V1 came out more like a brick, this time it came out with some jiggle life to it before cooling.

> I would like more meat in this but 1 pound sausage to 1 cup corn is acceptable.

> The aromatics in the pork seemed to have mostly boiled out, much of the 'heat' remained. Reinforcing the spices is desirable but not absolutely needed, at least if using pre spiced pork. Of course if using unspiced pork spicing will be needed.

> Frying, you want the scrapple to form a crust before trying to flip, at least with a fork, or it's going to fall apart.

How neat is this, knowing a reasonable Scrapple can be made with a cup of meal and a pound of spiced sausage.