Barb's copycat Chili

homecook

This is a copycat recipe of Wendy's chili. It's really good.

2 lb. ground beef
One 29-ounce can tomato sauce
Two 15-ounce can kidney beans
Two 15-ounce can pinto beans
1 cup diced onion (1 medium onion)
1/2 cup diced green chili (I used 1 jalapeno)
1/4 cup diced celery
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp. cumin
3 T. chili powder
1-1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. salt
2 cups water

Brown the ground meat in a DO, drain off fat. Crumble cooked meat finely.
Add all remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat 2-3 hours. Stir occasionally.

Attachments

• 101_0075.jpg
    101_0075.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 000_0006.jpg
    000_0006.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 000_0007.jpg
    000_0007.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 000_0013.jpg
    000_0013.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 155
  • 000_0021.jpg
    000_0021.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 157

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Good gosh I wish my tooth was better! This will be on my "to do" list. Does it taste like Wendy's Chili used to? I used to like their chili up until they started offering it in place of fries on the value menu...now they water it down so much it's tasteless...but that sure doesn't look tasteless.

homecook

Thanks Rob!

Mama, it tastes and smells just like Wendy's. It's really good! My son and his friend both had two helpings and said it was even better than Wendy's. This came out nice and thick, just like Wendy's used to be.

Oh and I forgot to add...........I added a jalapeno, minced to this also.

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Good morning Barb.

I like the two different types of beans. When I make Chili, I use at lezst two different colors of beans and some times pinto beans.

My somewant twisted mind is trying to make a connection between joan of Arc and beans though.

homecook

Good morning, Andy.

lol I don't get the connection either......

The two different beans in this was really good....and I'm not that crazy about beans.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I have a "regional" grocery store near me. Goya has a whole Aisle. There is a large bean section. I typically pick a couple different colors every time I make Chili.

I know you were going for a certain target taste. I often use half ground beef and half sweet sausage removed from the casing and sometime4s add a bit of Fennel seed. On one occasion, I used low sodiou V8 for 2/3 of the liquid.

homecook

We have the Goya brands here also, there's alot to choose from that's for sure.

The sausage sounds interesting, I may try that next time. I may use the extra spicy V8 too. lol

Thanks Andy!