1/2 t unsweetened cocoa
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/8 t black pepper
3 c hot cooked spaghetti, rinsed and drained
1 8 oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 c shredded cheddar cheese
6 T oyster crackers

Directions:

1. In a large saucepan brown meat and 3/4 c onion. Stir in garlic, tomato sauce, beef broth, water, and vinegar.
2. Add chili seasoning, cocoa, cinnamon, and black pepper. Mix well to combine. Bring mixture to a boil.
3. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. For each serving, place 1/2 c spaghetti on a plate, ladle 1 c chili over spaghetti, and sprinkle 2 T kidney beans, 2 T cheese, 2 T onion, and 1 T oyster crackers over top.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love Cincinatti Chili aka Skyline Chili.
I'll have to try this recipe for sure. :thumb:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, I've had Skyline Chili before.
I think they go a little too heavy on the cloves or whatever it is.

This is a recipe I've made a few times and don't think you'd be a bit disappointed! :D

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I was going to make a recipe similar to this, and then I realized I could have Skyline chili shipped to my door! :thumb:

There is a local chain in Tulsa where I grew up called Coney I-Lander that sells coneys (chili dogs) a lot like Skyline, but not exactly. It is one of my favorite comfort foods, and there is nothing like it here in WI. I think I might need to revisit the homemade kind using your recipe! Thanks!

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Is it a good topping for hot dogs?

Cincinnati Greek chili is very good for chili dogs, the best IMHO, but you want to make sure that the meat is crumbled very finely. Some recipes call for the meat not to be browned, but to be put into the water raw and squished through your fingers almost into a slurry.

AllenOK

Well, it looks like I'm making a version of Cincinnati chili myself. I don't do the spaghetti part, though.

Rob, I can't recall going to a Coney I-lander, so I can't comment on the flavor. I know that while I lived in Jackson, MI, there were coney restaurants all over. PeppA loved them. I found them to be a bit to acidic for me.

I've heard that true "coney sauce" has beef liver in it. I'm not sure on that one. I did find this recipe online, that has heart and kidney in it.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Rob, I can't recall going to a Coney I-lander, so I can't comment on the flavor. I know that while I lived in Jackson, MI, there were coney restaurants all over. PeppA loved them. I found them to be a bit to acidic for me.

You should take PeppA to one. I bet she'll love them! I always liked the one on 11th across from TU next to the Arby's, but they're all basically the same.