Powdered garlic secret

K

Kimchee

Garlic powder.... most of us have it, and most of us wish it was more 'garlicky'... right?

Cook's Illustrated magazine gave a great tip to make garlic powder bloom with that garlic flavor fresh garlic has...

Rehydrate it before you use it.

Yup, just enough water to moisten it will release the chemicals that give fresh garlic its pop.

Taste some dry, then taste some rehydrated.....

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I guess any liquid would re-hydrate it. When you add the garlic powder to a sauce, salad dressing, or even rub it on a piece of meat, wouldn't the moisture in the whatever make the garlic powder bloom?

Now I'm curious. What did CI do with theirs once it was re-hydrated?

K

Kimchee

I'm guessing any water based liquid would do the trick.

I don't remember the exact recipe they used it in, they were just advocating
rehydrating it before any use. Even in rubs and such.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I'm sitting here trying to figure what application/food product would call for garlic powder, that it would not rehydrate itself from the liquid or other moisture present. Maybe something like a savory topping for popcorn, but even then you would apply it as soon as it's popped so it would stick to it. If it sticks, it's because there is moisture present (steam). Still scratching my head...help me out.

FWIW, if you rehydrate garlic powder, don't you end up with a glop? The whole idea of powdered spices is to make them easy to apply over the entire area of what you're cooking. Otherwise, you make a paste to rub on the meat/chicken/fish before cooking. If making a paste, I would use fresh garlic, not powdered. JMO

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
yeah, u get glop. except, is fresh, smushed garlic not glop, too--

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have the current issue of Cook's Illustrated, too, and just looked up the discussion about garlic powder. As usual, it's rather lengthy, since CI tends to get into the science of everything culinary.

Briefly, there's an enzyme in garlic powder that's activated by rehydrating it with not-hot liquid (hot liquid doesn't work) and letting it sit for a minute.

They used a 1:1 ratio (1/2 teas. garlic powder to 1/2 teas water) and let it sit before mixing it into their mashed potatoes.

I haven't read the whole article yet, but evidently, that was their preferred way to make Garlic-Parmesan Mashed Potatoes.

I will definitely be trying this!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Great info, Q-Sis! Usually CI is pretty much spot on with their recommendations. I'm not a sciency person, so I would never have thought that re-hydrating with hot vs cold liquid would make a difference.

Let us know if you think it makes a difference with your mashed potatoes.