Cowboy Lump getting on my nerves

High Cheese

Saucier
I've been buying cowboy Lump charchoal for years now without an issue. The last two bags I got were 1/2 filled with HUGE pieces of fricking fence post or logs. The pieces are pretty much useless and it cuts my yeild waaaay down.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Send them an email and complain. They may even send you a coupon for a free bag or something.

High Cheese

Saucier
I just did that. :)

Man, I wish there was something else LOCAL I could find. The last few briquettes I've tried I didn't like. Kingsford Mesquite smells like a chemical factory (threw that out), Trader Joes wasn't too bad, but it did have a little weird smell to it. Besides making my own fire, I'm stuck with this stuff. lol

Leni

I get that with the mesquite charcoal that I buy. I just take a chisel and hammer to the really big pieces.

A complaint to a company really works. The Jack in the Box that my daughter and her guy friend go to were not turning on the air conditioning. They were ignored when he asked that it be turned on. I emailed a complaint and received a letter stating that the issue had been discussed with the manager of that location. Along with the letter were two coupons for a complete meal.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
the last bag of lump i bought in IL was at the walmart in Cicero i believe. it was Royal Oak Lump(which is my preferred brand) in an orange bag...around $8

I just did that. :)

Man, I wish there was something else LOCAL I could find. The last few briquettes I've tried I didn't like. Kingsford Mesquite smells like a chemical factory (threw that out), Trader Joes wasn't too bad, but it did have a little weird smell to it. Besides making my own fire, I'm stuck with this stuff. lol

High Cheese

Saucier
The offered to refund the bag, which was nice. Also, gave me some info:

"As you may have noticed, our product is now made in Mexico. Previously, the
charcoal was made in Kentucky from kiln dried hardwood off-cuts from the
lumber industry. Due to forever rising manufacturing costs, our raw material
is now Mexican oak hardwoods. While this is different than what we have done
in the past, this product is denser and usually longer lasting."

High Cheese

Saucier
Cuz you can't spread them out and you wind up with a hot spot, or the big piece isn't ready yet and all the regular pieces have been burning already.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cuz you can't spread them out and you wind up with a hot spot, or the big piece isn't ready yet and all the regular pieces have been burning already.

Oh, okay. Thanks, Jay.

I use Kingsford Hickory briquets almost exclusively, and just use wood chunks to add smoky flavor, not as a fuel source.

GO SOX!!!

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
The offered to refund the bag, which was nice. Also, gave me some info:

"As you may have noticed, our product is now made in Mexico. Previously, the
charcoal was made in Kentucky from kiln dried hardwood off-cuts from the
lumber industry. Due to forever rising manufacturing costs, our raw material
is now Mexican oak hardwoods. While this is different than what we have done
in the past, this product is denser and usually longer lasting."

It was nice of the maker of Cowboy lump charcoal to by the Royal Oak for you :lol:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
resurrecting this thread . . . last year I had similar experiences with Cowboy brand.

sent off an email, got the same answer. sent off some "comparison" pictures and got some additional info:

"
Thanks for the pictures! The product that you have taken pictures of is our American made retort product. This is the same charcoal that we have been making for the last 20 years that has been praised by foodies and backyard barbecuers alike. We are continuing to make this product in Kentucky, Tennessee and Missouri and it is NOT made in Mexico. The retort product can be found in Ace Hardwares, TruValues, grocery chains and specialty retailers.

"

so this year I buy a new bag - it's made in Mexico - and contains mostly blackened logs. not even remotely suited for the backyard grill - might work for a whole ox size grill.....

so, I guess they know about it and don't care about it.

obviously need to look for a different brand.

AllenOK

Last year, I was getting a decent, albiet cheap, brand of mesquite-impregnated briquettes. Got them at Wally World, can't remember the brand name. It's a moot question now, as the Evil Empire discontinued carrying that brand. I've gone to some other cheap brand of briquette that has been "designed for improved air-flow", and has a rather funky shape.

High Cheese

Saucier
Those charcoal comparisons are all well and good, but you're really restricted to what's available locally. I have to get Royal Oak from a store I rarely frequent, and when I'm there I never remember to get it. lol I'm usually in Lowes and they only have Cowboy. I just bought 2 bags and it was the same crapola. Not to mention, I only got 2 lousy cooks from each bag. The old stuff I could get 4-5.

chilefarmer

I could not find GFS within 200 mi. But hey, we got Wal-Mart. Aren't we lucky. All the other stores have closed. CF

AllenOK

I miss GFS. We don't have them down here in OK, but we did have one in town when we lived in MI. Think Sam's, open to the public, but without the yearly membership fee.

Squirrel

Mess Cook
Site Supporter
Here is a link to charcoal that I find useful and interesting. CF
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

I like that site for comparing products. I even left a review on the Primo Lump back in May. I've been using it since I got my Primo XL. It's a bit pricier than some of the others but it's a 20 lb. bag and I have weighed a couple since reading what the website had to say about it and it is consistently 2-4 lbs. over so if I get an odd piece here and there I'm not complaining. I've been through about 20 bags and I think it's the best I've tried yet.