hells kitchen/ kitchen nightmares

Rusty Shackleford

Formerly known as 1 bourbon 1 scotch & 1 beer
anyone watch these? i did the first season or two of hells kitchen, but it didint seem to be as good last season. not sure if im gonna watch it this year. but i must say, i do love kitchen nightmares. that show is pretty good.

smoke king

Banned
I'm going to watch this year simply because theres a local "Chef" from Omaha on. I used quotation marks because evidently (according to local news) she has no formal culinary training, so I'm curious as to how she'll do.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I watched a bit of the first season of Hell's Kitchen and didn't care much for it. Now I've never seen the US version of Kitchen Nightmares however I have seen about all of the Euro version which are excellent. There is another show I just caught on the BBC last week end "The F Word" that really was good. It covered a lot of stuff in one hour including what is in sausage as sold in food stores, two young guys trying for a single job working for one of Gordon's restaurant. Interviews with some other chef's as well as some groups of foodies. All in all a hour well spent.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I watch Hell's Kitchen religiously, Kitchen Nightmares occasionally, and now I'm really getting into The F Word.

I like The F Word because it shows Gordon's softer side, family man, urban farmer, etc. It's weird how his pigs and sheep like pets though, I don't think I could eat them after that...

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I watch both programmes and used to watch the F word - but that has gone off really. Ithink that Hell's Kitchen has lost its way - the last USA one I watched seemed to be people more into celebrity than being a great chef - also lots of back stabbing.

Kitchen Nightmares is good seeing what goes on behind the scenes in amny of these places - though can put you off going out.

lilylove

Hell's Kitchen I watch... but can't make it through a whole show I start feeling bad for the chefs. Old Gordo yells TOOOO much. He makes me cry! lol.

GhettoRacingKid

I'm going to watch this year simply because theres a local "Chef" from Omaha on. I used quotation marks because evidently (according to local news) she has no formal culinary training, so I'm curious as to how she'll do.

ohh yeah she is a chef all right. A culinary instructer with no training and she didnt even mention what makes her knowledgable.

Im not too into this season but its a step forward. they have some knowledgable people then the trianwrecks.

trainwrecks are good tv the knowledgable people make it real

I do love kitchen knightmare but not the over dramatised US version. I try to catch it on BBC America or DL it.

Rusty Shackleford

Formerly known as 1 bourbon 1 scotch & 1 beer
ok i did end up watching it last night. its better! he is going to break that instructor, i tell you what. although i really dont see an issue with using the same pan right away if its the same food? tho i knew it would be good when she told him she also teaches manners :yum: lmao

heb1976

Never got into Kitchen Nightmares, but I love Hell's Kitchen. I can't watch it this year because too many of my other shows are on at the same time. Who won it last year? I never did watch the season finale.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
It looked like they were starting with a mirepoix or some other saute, and all that leftover tomato in there might burn or just generally screw up the flavor...

I can't believe how many signature dishes he actually liked!

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Never got into Kitchen Nightmares, but I love Hell's Kitchen. I can't watch it this year because too many of my other shows are on at the same time. Who won it last year? I never did watch the season finale.

Yeah, now it conflicts with The Office, which is a real problem in our house and probably the show in general...

smoke king

Banned
Yeah, now it conflicts with The Office, which is a real problem in our house and probably the show in general...

Yeah-that is going to be an issue in our house as well.

I have to Concur with 1B1S1B, Coleen (Our Nebraska homegirl) is in for a rough ride!! That was hard to watch!!

I guess if you are willing to go on that show, you have to expect to be treated like that!

Meanwhile, I think I'll open a "recreational"(?) culinary school of my own!!

Wart

Banned
Yeah-that (conflict with the Office) is going to be an issue in our house as well.

Luckily Time Warner Cable provides, for a minimal fee, a DVR with two tuners, watch one recorded program while recording two more. Can't tell how often I've done that.

I have to Concur with 1B1S1B, Coleen (Our Nebraska homegirl) is in for a rough ride!! That was hard to watch!!

Thats on Coleen.

The no formal culinary training is one thing. The Teachers Attitude is going to be what sinks her.

It's not that I have Authority Issues (Oh yes you do, NO I DON"T, Don't bullshit me ... Ok, I have authority issues now go away), Wife worked at KSU 30 years, had to put up with teachers, I took numerous classes, "Teachers" have to learn they don't know everything, but learning isn't something teachers aren't inclined to do because, well, their Teachers, not students. Teachers always know best.

I saw Coleens attitude through the show but when she changed Gordos recipe by adding honey, BANG! THERE IT IS!!! Teacher knows best. My ass.

At this point of the competition it's about keeping your head low, learning the Ramsy way, and being noticed as little as possable because not being noticed means your doing it right. Not changing the Chefs freaking recipe.

I guess if you are willing to go on that show, you have to expect to be treated like that!

She asked for it.
:sorry:

Meanwhile, I think I'll open a "recreational"(?) culinary school of my own!!

She was getting $300 for 4 hours of instruction?

Not any more.

If she pulls her head from her rump and figures out she's there to LEARN depending how long she lasts, she may continue making her $300,closer to the end the more she'll make.

However, if the women lost I think Coleen would have been gone and her school would be no more.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Oh yeah - I almost wet my pants when Colleen told Ramsey that she also teaches manners!!!!!! Like you said Wart, she asked for it!

TAEdison

I felt sorry for that gal last night that got hurt, she was great giving up her place so those lazys could stay

I usually watch Kitchen Nighmares when he is at a restaurant that Ive heard of. He has already hit 2 restaurants in the town I work in, and another in the town i live in. Ive never eaten in any of them ( before or after). But it was kinda of Bizarre watching it and seeing people you know as diners. One of them was a teacher in my kids school. She made a big stink about how long the food was taking to be served.

Hells Kitchen I watch regularly. All I know is that if I were going to compete on this show, the first thing I would do before ever stepping on a plane to LA would be to learn how to make Risotto. That is probably the most criticized dish on the show from season to season. Everytime someone gets yelled at for making it not to Ramsay's standards, I just think to myself " should have learned from the previous episodes". Although, Im sure he'd find something wrong about it any way, or something new to yell about.

larry

smoke king

Banned
the first thing I would do before ever stepping on a plane to LA would be to learn how to make Risotto.

True that!! I've watched pretty regularly, and you're right Larry-that seems to be the one thing that gets under his craw worse than anything!

I've been watching with keen interest this year, since the cooking "instructor" is from right here in Omaha. I can't speak one way or another to her abilities, but I do know she needs to learn to shut her mouth! Had it not been for the young lady removing herself from the competition, she would have been gone last night.

High Cheese

Saucier
I think the DW has been recording last years HK. The contestants pretty much suck at cooking. I can't see any of them fit to run a kitchen. Just like with American Idol, if they have no skill, I get bored very fast.

Kitchen Nightmares is ok once in a while. It reinforces my decision to eat home.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I think a lot of them do it now because they want the celebrity rather tahn because they are good cooks. The first couple of series were much better because there were talented people on who did want to suceed.

Do you think people these days just want things easily, rather than working hard from the bottom rungs and working up to executive cghef, they want to be there immediately & quite often don't have the skills or experience to do a really good jobs.

Whats funny is they say they had thousands and thousands of applicants, limited it to 300, and now the final 16. They obviously cast people who cant get along, or have hot tempers or who are 'interesting' 'quirky' ..... to make for a more interesting show. I agree that originally id pick up a few pointers here and there, but now its just another reality show, which i do enjoy watching. Its kinda like when u drive by a car accident and have to slow down to see whats going on. I always say to myself, why waste your night watching that crap. But, after flipping through 300 + channels, im always back watching it.

larry

smoke king

Banned
They obviously cast people who cant get along, or have hot tempers or who are 'interesting' 'quirky' ..... to make for a more interesting show.

I think thats it in a nutshell. What we tend to forget is that if the show were being filmed in 99% of the restaraunts out there, we would be bored to tears. Conflict, and its fallout, are what sells.

I don't for sure how they go about selecting the participants, but in an interview by a local news station, Coleen said that they sent a "casting call"(?) to her cooking "school", and when none of her students wanted to participate, she decided to go for it.