1/2 lb. spaghetti

1 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. oyster sauce
1 tbsp. dry sherry
1 tsp. chile puree with garlic
1/8 tsp. ground star anise
1/8 tsp. cinnamon

1 tbsp. canola or peanut oil
1/2 cup each red and green pepper and onion, thinly sliced and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 large or two small cloves of garlic, minced (about 1 tbsp.)
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
sliced green or red pepper and 1 whole star anise, for garnish

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; boil spaghetti 8-10 minutes or until al dente. Combine soy and oyster sauces, sherry, chile puree, star anise and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside. Heat oil in a large skillet and lightly saute peppers, onion, garlic and ginger. Set aside to cool.

Drain spaghetti and rinse with cool water. Place in a large bowl and combine with the sauce. Mix in vegetables and pour into a serving dish. Garnish with pepper and star anise. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

I served this with marinated grilled tuna and scallops.

Attachments

• chinese-starry-noodles.jpg
    chinese-starry-noodles.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 147
  • chinese-starry-noodles-with-tuna.jpg
    chinese-starry-noodles-with-tuna.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 142

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I love how easily accessible your ingredients are. Have you ever tried this with actual lo mein noodles instead of spaghetti?

Looks wonderful, especially the addition of the star anise.

GotGarlic

Thanks, Vera :smile: I haven't tried it with lo mein noodles, but that's a good idea - I'll look for some next time I make it. There's a huge Asian market not too far away. That's where I got a big bag of star anise - have to find ways to use it :lol:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I love that combination of soy, oyster, and sherry, and I bet it went really well with the tuna and scallops. I thought the tuna was red meat until I read this. Kudos for the plating. The double star was very creative.

GotGarlic

I love that combination of soy, oyster, and sherry, and I bet it went really well with the tuna and scallops. I thought the tuna was red meat until I read this. Kudos for the plating. The double star was very creative.

Thank you, Cooksie :smile: It was delicious, and I like to use ingredients from a dish as garnish - gives people an idea of what's inside.