Octopus Dogs

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Octopus Dogs
6 Hot dogs

About 1" from one end (this one inch will be the head) of a hot dog, start a slit in the hot dog that
goes vertically to the other end. Turn a quarter turn and make another
slit. Keep making slits until you have eight "legs" for the hot dog. Boil
and the hot dog will look like an octopus. Serve with head up and legs
spread out.
Boil them, and here's what you get.................

Variation....... serve on a "sea bed" of chili and buttered broccoli.

octolunch.jpg

chowhound

I remember someone else posting those. Pretty clever.
I almost tried them on the grill the other day just to see what would happen, but I decided I wanted my hot dogs to fit in a bun (lol).

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I've been meaning to make those! MexicoKaren said that she sees them down there, only they are deep fried!

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
you can include the inverted bun as part of the "scenery", then lay the octopus in the bun, top with the chili "Sea Floor"............. show's over !
This is a "kid friendly" recipe; you're trying to entice them into eating the broccoli, I think !

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
were they called Rutt's ??can't remember, except that word sticks in the mind.........

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
EUREKA !
You're right ! At least as far as the name of the joint.......... can't for the life of me drag "rippers" up out of the fog............

Joisey Boy.. Calling Joisey Boy.............

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Thanks Lucky! You have no idea how much mileage I'm going to get out of this one. My 6 year old is a very picky eater but there is no way he can resist this. I can't wait to make one for him tonight.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
good googling, Chowhound ! It's just as ugly as I remember it, and I remember it now !
When I first moved off manhattan, I lived for a summer in Passaic........ this was the best sandwich joint in a 15-mile radius !

(BTW- The Memory is the SECOND thing to go !)

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I've deep fried hotdogs a few times. It's amazing the transformation they go through. If you get them just right it's a real treat, cooked too long and they get crispy like bacon. I heard that some people like them that way though...

chowhound

One of the cooking shows featured Rutt's Hut. That's the first I had heard of them. I've yet to try them, but I will. Probably at the same time I try deep frying bacon, lol.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I tried deep frying some thick cut bacon once, but it turned into bacon jerky... I definitely don't recommend it if you want to eat it with your eggs! :unsure:

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Thanks for the reminder, Keltin. We'd wanted to get one of those tools to use when the grandchildren come to visit. It violates Alton Brown's unitasker rule but any thing goes when it comes to grandchildren.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

What is this unitasker that you speak of?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the reminder, Keltin. We'd wanted to get one of those tools to use when the grandchildren come to visit. It violates Alton Brown's unitasker rule but any thing goes when it comes to grandchildren.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Amen to that! If it does ONE job for the grandkids, and does it well, I'm all for it!! :thumb:

Renfro Jones

The title of this thread caught my eye, I've had octopus at the sushi bar before( not my fav, kind of chewy) so I'm thinking octopus formed into a hot dog, not even thinking a hot dog formed into an octopus. Rather clever, and to think they make a tool for it, thats pretty neat.