How do you tell if your turkey is done?

How do you know if your turkey is done?

• I go by the plastic pop-up thing that comes in the turkey.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I go by a meat thermometer.

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • I go by some "minutes per pound" guideline.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wiggle the leg/wing to see how it moves.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I voted temp but I first go by minutes per lb as a rough guideline then I start checking temp once it has cooked for estimated time. The final word is the temp.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I wiggle and pinch the leg to see if it's soft. But I stick a thermometer in it as well to verify. Unfortunately, all of my thermometers register differently, so I end up just cussing at them and pinching the leg like my grandmother did.

I remove those little plastic things and throw them out. They guarantee a dry, overcooked turkey every time!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've use a meat thermometer for years now but prior to that did the time per pound method. I have several digital thermometers that I use for my smoker but my stove has one built in to the oven. It even allows one to set the temperature to tell you when it is done, turning off the oven and notifying with a beeper.

GotGarlic

My oven also has a meat thermometer built into it; it works the same way as joec's. It's nice to be able to tell at a glance where it is and estimate about how long it has to go.

QuirkyCookery

Up until recent years, I've never had a thermometer. I didn't know about the leg wiggle/pinch tests either. I generally use a "minutes per pound" estimate and then cook "until it looks done" which also involves slicing into a section under the breast or near a wing toward the center to make sure the "juices run clear" as my mother says....and crossing my fingers that it's not so dry that there aren't any juices left, lol. I've never had a dry turkey, though, or an undercooked one, so my mother's technique can't be all bad.

I *am* thankful to have a thermometer now, although this is the first year I won't be making a whole turkey. Darn the luck!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use a Taylor probe thermometer for almost every roast I cook, both inside and outside of the house. I use a Thermopen instant read for steaks and chops.

I've never heard of the thermometer in the oven that you guys speak of. That's SO cool!

Lee

GotGarlic

I use a Taylor probe thermometer for almost every roast I cook, both inside and outside of the house. I use a Thermopen instant read for steaks and chops.

I've never heard of the thermometer in the oven that you guys speak of. That's SO cool!

Lee

I imagine they're pretty much the same, but mine is on a cord with a plug at one end and the thermometer probe at the other. When you want to use it, you plug it into a receptacle inside the oven and the probe into the meat. Then you can set the oven to the temp you want the finished meat to be, along with the roasting temp, and let it go :smile:

Hubby bought me one of those high-tech talking thermomenters - one part goes into the bird & you can set the other part wherever you want in the kitchen. It lets you know both temp & time left. Neat little gadget. I still double-check it with my regular old-fashioned instant-read thermometer, but so far it's been on the mark.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Mine has a thermo-probe, too. I just always forget it's there!

I imagine they're pretty much the same, but mine is on a cord with a plug at one end and the thermometer probe at the other. When you want to use it, you plug it into a receptacle inside the oven and the probe into the meat. Then you can set the oven to the temp you want the finished meat to be, along with the roasting temp, and let it go :smile:
YUP mine has one just like GG and I also forget it's there untill whatever is done cooking!

I wiggle and pinch the leg to see if it's soft. But I stick a thermometer in it as well to verify. Unfortunately, all of my thermometers register differently, so I end up just cussing at them and pinching the leg like my grandmother did.

I remove those little plastic things and throw them out. They guarantee a dry, overcooked turkey every time!

turkeys.jpg

joec

Gold Site Supporter

Lee

Yes it is cool. The probe simply plugs into a jack in the side of the oven and into the meat. Once in the oven controls everything though mine is induction cook top with convection oven it pretty much will do any thing including working as a slow cooker. It was a bit of a learning curve but well worth it as I've sure dumped a lot of things like a slow cooker saving storage space.

Guts

put a teaspoon of popcorn in the turkey butt, when it pops and blows the ass off the turkey. It's done

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

just need to calibrate your thermometers... boil water dip thermometer in...when it reads 100*C or 212*F thats the thermometer to keep...chuck the rest..lol

i use a cheap digital thermometer that i bought at wallyworld for $10..my personal preference is the ones with the wire probes and wires not the one with the rubber coated wires. i have been using it steady since last thanksgiving and it still works great.

debated subject but bringing works for some people. personally, the last 3 birds i did, i didnt brine and they were just as juicy.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
...the last 3 birds i did, i didnt brine and they were just as juicy.

Ditto. I don't care for brined poultry at all - way too WET, and not necessary.

I do, however, like to brine my pork chops occasionally. Gives them a little forgiveness.

Lee