Polenta

I have never cooked with or tasted polenta, yet I've seen it in many recipes. What does it taste like - consistency? Is it similar to grits (which I've never tried)? How do you prepare same? Think I have seen some recipes calling for instant, and one I want to try (*below) calls for slicing same. Have a recipe for polenta kebabs, would like to give a go, as well. What kind of dishes do you prep with Polenta?

*Instant Tamale Pie
http://www.ezrapoundcake.com/archives/2958

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I tried instant polenta once (bought a box on clearance at Publix for 25 cents), and it was nasty! It had a yucky grainy & gooey like texture I couldn’t get behind, and it was fairly bland with a hint of cornmeal gone bad. It was like squishy diced rotten hominy (which I also hate - hominy that is).

Not even close to grits which are very good whether they be instant or traditional.

Perhaps traditional polenta is better? Then again, I don't see how it could lose the hominy taste and mouth feel. If you like hominy, perhaps you'll like polenta. I can't stand hominy.

PanchoHambre

Polenta can be sweet or savory. We ate it a lot when I lived in Switzerland as it was cheap and common.

Sweet it is really good for breakfast... sort of like cream of wheat. Cook it soft with milk add butter and sugar to taste. Similar to how you may eat/prepare farina or oatmeal. Top with fruit if desired

I like it savory better. Polenta can be prepared soft flavored with herbs like rosemary or sage and poured into trays and baked. or the tray can be chilled and you can cut out squares and fry them. These are great with meats and brown sauce. The first time I had it was with Venison but it is great with any meat in a thick sauce in place of potatoes or pasta.

Cheese can be mixed in for flavor/texture. It is a pretty plain tasting thing on its own so it takes flavors really well.

Sorry I don't have any recipes for it I generally cook by feel. I would suggest googling a recipe for "polenta squares" and pairing it with game or red meat in a nice thick sauce.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I've made it soft and sweet, as Pancho mentioned, and I enjoyed it as breakfast. But I really want to try fried polenta. Let us know if you make it, CC, and how you like it.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I have this idea in my head that it is a little like cornbread without the crust. Am I totally off base with that, Pancho?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Soggy cornbread? That's my specialty! (Actually, burnt is my specialty, but soggy I consider successful because it is edible. LOL)

PanchoHambre

well.... soggy AND burnt and you have fried polenta squares! just call it that next time you ruin the cornbread and make it all seem intentional.