Shanghai Jimmy's Chile Rice

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Shanghai Jimmy had a small walk in restaurant in downtown Dallas years ago. Maybe if Red Rocker shows up here he will remember it.

His best dish was Chili Rice.

Nothing complicated, just some good chili and steamed white rice and a little butter.

Start with a layer of rice in the bottom of the bowl. Add a thin layer of butter, then a layer of chili. repeat a couple of times until bowl is full.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dang Jim, that sounds good too. :thumb: Never heard of it before. Maybe we'll have to chk with RR over on FF.

Do you have a Skiline Chili close to you? They are in many places of Ohio, but the closest one to me is 100 miles away. It's Chili and spaghetti noodles & cheese. With their special hot sauce. ummmmmm goood. Add an order of garlic bread and one of their free bibs to stop me from making a mess on myself and I'm set to go. :thumb:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
One location is fairly close, 245 miles. :yum:

Have any of the NTT Kentucky folks checked in here? Shows one in KY

Stow
4127 Bridgewater Parkway
Stow, OH 44224
Distance: 245.85 miles

Lyndhurst
5706 Mayfield Road
Lyndhurst, OH 44124
Distance: 259.41 miles

Heath
1122 Hebron Rd.
Heath, OH 43056
Distance: 261.9 miles

Ridge Road
4752 Ridge Road
Brooklyn, OH 44144
Distance: 266.43 miles

Russell, KY
24 Russell Plaza Ave.
Ashland, KY 41101
Distance: 274.75 miles

PapaJoe8

Jim, I think we may have met before, maybe at the old Dallas history forum? Many of us are still trying to come up w/, as close as we can, Shanghai Jimmy's great Chili Rice recipe. There is allot of info at the new history site and at other food sites. If you do a google for "shanghai jimmy" you, or anyone interested, can find us.

One tip, it was margarine that Jimmy used. Picky... picky. I like using butter better though.

This looks like a neat site. I will be posting more here. Looking forward to knowing you folks better! :~)
Joe

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Papajoe, WELCOME to the Forum! :tiphat:

when you have a minute step over to the Introductions forum and tell us about yourself!

I worked for RCA Communications back then. Transferred from Wichita Falls to Dallas in 1975. There was a big electronics flea market the first Saturday at Wholesale Electronics Amateur Radio division on Central expressway just north of downtown. It later moved to the main store on Ross Ave. Bunch of friends and I visited the flea market and then went for Chili Rice. I got married in 1981 and that stopped the weekend activities.

PapaJoe8

Wow, thank you for the warm and fast welcome Jim!

I will find the intro forum and do that. If you google me up you will find allot of food stuff... and a few poker stories. :~)

My mom and shanghai Jimmy were somehow buddies. She took me often, as a kid, to eat his chili rice. I fell in love w/ that dish! I am probably a chili head because of Jimmy.

There is a lot of interesting history about Jimmy and WW2. He was quite a character. Much of it is at the new Dallas History Free Forum site. Sorry, I'm not so good at doing links.

Oh, I worked at Sears on Ross back in the 60s.
Joe

PapaJoe8

Hey, I might have helped you find something at Sears? Hmm, I was more mid 60s I guess. late 60s I was at UT in Austin.

I'm to new here to start a thread here but... Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice needs one. The world needs to know! :~)
Joe

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, I might have helped you find something at Sears? Hmm, I was more mid 60s I guess. late 60s I was at UT in Austin.

I'm to new here to start a thread here but... Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice needs one. The world needs to know! :~)
Joe

I'm trying to remember, I might have been in junior high the first trip there, 1960 or so? When I got my drivers license in 1962 I remember getting to drive in Dallas for the first time! that was an experience! :D

You remember a german lady who shared restaurant space with Jimmy? Seems like her name was Hannah? she had some good stuff too.

Jim

PapaJoe8

Jim, oh... this is a thread about Jimmy!

Weird question, thers a BBQ section here ... but not a Chili section. In Texas they both have equil importants. Oh, I'm not in Kansas anymore!

I have heard mention of the lady on other threads, but have no memory of her. But that was 50 yrs. ago. Jimmy had a lot of locations over the years.
Joe

Last edited:

PapaJoe8

After looking around here a bit I have a question. Is this an Ethnic food? Chili started in Texas. Rice... well maybe lots of stuff started in china? I am not sure this fits as a soup or stew though. Hey, maybe Texas food IS Ethnic food!!!? :~)

Oh, I think this may be the only food to originate in Dallas. Oh, maybe Tex Mex started at El Fenix in Dallas?
Joe

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, I think this may be the only food to originate in Dallas. Oh, maybe Tex Mex started at El Fenix in Dallas?
Joe

Is the El Fenix just north of downtown still there? Love that place. It's a wonder they stayed in business while Woodall Rogers Freeway was under construction. Only to get there was through the old warehouse district.

Jim

PapaJoe8

Yep Jim, that's the original El Fenix. Many say Tex Mex started there.

All El Fenix restaurants were recently sold to a real estate developer who swears that all will stay the same, except for a few more locations. The Martinez family will continue to run things.

The property where the downtown location is became way to valuable. The guy who bought it said that even if a ??? story building was built on the property El Fenix will stay. His dish of choice is the Enchilada Dinner w/ rice and beans.

If you go early on Saturday night, and ask to sit in the bar area, you will most likely get to meet Mr. Martinez. He is the 84 yr. old son of the founder. He is quite a nice man... and he does magic tricks. He was also a pilot in WW2.

The food is just as I remember from 50+ years ago.
Joe

Oh, I worked for El Chico, their only competitors back then, when I was MUCH younger. El Chico had great food when I worked there. Things have changed though. :~(

And oh, about Jimmy's Chili Rice recipe?

PapaJoe8

A chili cook and RVer here in Texas made his version of Shanghai Jimmy's chili rice and served it at an RV gathering. He used things from the LP recipe to make it. Neat! Jimmy would be pleased!
Joe

joec

Gold Site Supporter
One location is fairly close, 245 miles. :yum:

Have any of the NTT Kentucky folks checked in here? Shows one in KY

Russell, KY
24 Russell Plaza Ave.
Ashland, KY 41101
Distance: 274.75 miles

Haven't tried it but next time in Ashland I will check it out. I'll be going through there on my way to Bechtelsville PA on May 8th.