Chicken & waffles

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Chicken & waffles

4 whole chicken breasts, skinned (or the meat pulled from a leftover Roast chicken)
2 (14.5 oz.) cans Chicken broth (or 1/2 broth, 1/2 water)
1 tangerine-sized onion, chopped
1 thick celery stalk, quartered
1 fat carrot, cut into thick medallions
Salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste
1 bay leaf

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cold water

Put chicken, water, onion, celery, carrot, salt, pepper and bay leaf in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil and cook until chicken is done (it should boil for about 5 to 10 minutes). Remove the chicken to cool.

Strain the broth and return to the pot.

When chicken is cool enough to work with, strip the chicken off the bones.
Chop chicken into ½-inch chunks. Set aside.

Whisk together the flour and water until smooth.

Bring the broth to a slow boil. Slowly add the flour mixture to the broth, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.

When the gravy starts to thicken, reduce the heat and keep stirring. When it reaches your desired thickness, turn off the heat.
Add chicken chunks to the gravy. Mix together well (don't be afraid to break up the chunks).

Adjust seasonings (this dish should be well-peppered!)

Make waffles by your favorite recipe, and serve them topped with the hot Chicken and gravy.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have never had this, and I've only heard about this combo in the past maybe 5 years.

Is it a Southern dish?

I'm sure I'd love it!

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oh, WOW, LT....this looks delicious!

The only chicken and waffles dish I've seen down here is with fried chicken...I've never even thought of serving it with a gravy...until now that is :biggrin:.......I wonder if it's Pennsylvania Dutch thing?

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i've only seen chix/waffles 1 way- fried chix & waffles. these sound so good. i cannot wait to make a batch. i need a waffle-maker, tho.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, WOW, LT....this looks delicious!

The only chicken and waffles dish I've seen down here is with fried chicken...I've never even thought of serving it with a gravy...until now that is :biggrin:.......I wonder if it's Pennsylvania Dutch thing?
You are Keerect , Mama;

The Southern / Soul Food dish features Breaded Fried chicken, with the usual sweet stuff over the waffles...
This has it's roots in the Pa. Dutch Community......

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Chicken & Waffles.jpg

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
One of the places we frequent for breakfast serves chicken and waffles. They add hot sauce to the syrup so it's not so sweet.

We went to a new place for brunch Saturday. I didn't get it, but they had chicken and waffles with a Sriracha glaze on the menu. A lady ordered it while we were there and it looked great. I asked her how it was as we were leaving and her answer was excellent, just excellent.

I made chicken and waffles using a Bobby Flay recipe not long ago. The waffles had wild rice in them and minimal sugar. They were served with a pink peppercorn/honey butter and a maple/horseradish syrup. Definitely not sweet. They were good, but the waffles were not as crisp as we like them so I would tinker with that if I make again. A lot of work though, would definitely break it up some by making the butter and syrup a day or 2 before. Maybe even use my waffle recipe that can be made a day or 2 ahead, then stir in the wild rice day of making.

Craig's brother liked to put sausage gravy on pancakes. Bet he would have put it on waffles too!