Oven Roasted Pot Roast

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Well you dont HAVE to use a Dutch oven on this one. I dont have one. I do have a large metal pot that is safe for the oven. I havent made this in ages but after posting this I just might make it this week. :thumb:

2 Tbs. bacon grease or olive oil
1 Tbs. balsmic vinegar
2 tsp. dry rosemary; rubbed
3 Tbs. brown sugar
2 med. yellow onions; sliced
1 Tbs. soy sauce
4-5 cloves garlic; sliced
1 bay leaf
3-4lb. beef chuck roast
1 tsp. black pepper and salt to taste
1-2lbs. baby carrots
1 cup hot beef stock or broth
6-8 medium red potatoes; skins on, cut into chunks
1/4 cup barbecue sauce (i prefer honey BBQ)
1 tsp. thyme
2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
1 Tbs. parsley flakes

You can heat up a 12" deep Dutch oven using 20-22 briquets bottom until oven is hot. Again I dont have one so I use my large "14 deep metal pot and put er in the oven but I saute everything on the stove first.

Add bacon grease or olive oil, rosemary, and onions; cook 2-3 minutes until you start to see a little color on the onions then add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute longer. In a large measuring cup combine the beef stock, barbecue sauce, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, bay leaf, and black pepper; stir to mix then pour juice slowly into the oven. Season the roast with salt and pepper then add roast in oven and cover with as many of the onions as you can.

Cook for 30 minutes rotating oven every 15 minutes. After 30 minutes add carrots and potatoes. Season with salt, pepper, thyme, and parsley flakes. Replace the lid and continue baking for 60-90 minutes until vegetables are fork tender.