Peep's a.c. and car

Embryodad

Beautiful galettes, Karen!

Lee
Dear Lord.... I thought the repair for the A/C was there Wednesday.
Are they waiting for the parts?
You poor people. And the car A/C is conked out?? Pep Boys I heard, is very good for service.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Re: What are you eating Sunday, 7/19/2020 to Saturday, 7/25/2020?

Dear Lord.... I thought the repair for the A/C was there Wednesday.
Are they waiting for the parts?
You poor people. And the car A/C is conked out?? Pep Boys I heard, is very good for service.

House a/c first service call is for this Wednesday 7/29. Then who knows how long it will take to be fixed. It usually took Sears 6 weeks jerking us around before we got air again. That’s why we got this one from Best Buy. We’ll see how this goes.

Pep boys had car all day today and still haven’t figured out what’s wrong. Tomorrow is supposed to be 99F. Not sure how I can handle that. 11:30pm and it’s 90F in here.

Embryodad

House a/c first service call is for this Wednesday 7/29. Then who knows how long it will take to be fixed. It usually took Sears 6 weeks jerking us around before we got air again. That’s why we got this one from Best Buy. We’ll see how this goes.

Pep boys had car all day today and still haven’t figured out what’s wrong. Tomorrow is supposed to be 99F. Not sure how I can handle that. 11:30pm and it’s 90F in here.
Peeps.... maybe you could rent a portable unit. We have one on the lower level where DD lives. The whole house is central air, but they like it 68 degrees.
I told they want 68, get your own unit. They bought a portable, and it works great. Just stick the hot exhaust hose out the window, and it works great.
I also added an auxiliary unit in the kitchen to keep it cool when we cook.
Another one is in the dining room. We can seat 14 people, and run just that unit to cool it down.

As far as your car A/C.....they should have at least know where the problem is. They should have the software to tie into the system to troubleshoot the system.
##############################################

Supper tonight, was a burger pan fried, with sliced raw onion. It was so good.
Tina found this new Sara Lee bread called Artesano white. It is like 3/4 inch thick, and does not have a high bread to meat ratio. It's perfect.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Peeps.... maybe you could rent a portable unit. We have one on the lower level where DD lives. The whole house is central air, but they like it 68 degrees.
I told they want 68, get your own unit. They bought a portable, and it works great. Just stick the hot exhaust hose out the window, and it works great.
I also added an auxiliary unit in the kitchen to keep it cool when we cook.
Another one is in the dining room. We can seat 14 people, and run just that unit to cool it down.

As far as your car A/C.....they should have at least know where the problem is. They should have the software to tie into the system to troubleshoot the system.
##############################################

Supper tonight, was a burger pan fried, with sliced raw onion. It was so good.
Tina found this new Sara Lee bread called Artesano white. It is like 3/4 inch thick, and does not have a high bread to meat ratio. It's perfect.

We have crank out windows so can't use that unit.

The car a/c is fine. It was blowing smoke, smelled bad, rumbling & jumping, traction control off & service stabilitrack message was flashing.
Pep Boys had car for 1-1/2 days hooked it up to computer, took it for test drive, and didn't find anything wrong. Guy said maybe something was stuck somewhere and needed to burn off.
That doesn't sound right.

Cooksie

Site Supporter

We have crank out windows so can't use that unit.

The car a/c is fine. It was blowing smoke, smelled bad, rumbling & jumping, traction control off & service stabilitrack message was flashing.
Pep Boys had car for 1-1/2 days hooked it up to computer, took it for test drive, and didn't find anything wrong. Guy said maybe something was stuck somewhere and needed to burn off.
That doesn't sound right.

I think that's the kind of stuff that they say when they don't have a clue what's wrong. Hope things get better for you.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

DD asked Google and turned up someone with same car, same problem multiple times. They finally found problem to be a throttle body and something else. Replaced and it’s now fixed. I wonder how much that cost.

Right now it’s working and I got out in the a/c for an hour. I don’t know how I can survive this heat. Can’t run car for days. No money to stay in hotel. Even if we could I have a damaged foot that swells badly and needs to be elevated, my back and hips are shot. I can’t sleep in a flat bed. I can’t get comfortable and can’t move when I get up. I sleep in a recliner with back and feet propped up.

Embryodad

DD asked Google and turned up someone with same car, same problem multiple times. They finally found problem to be a throttle body and something else. Replaced and it’s now fixed. I wonder how much that cost.

Right now it’s working and I got out in the a/c for an hour. I don’t know how I can survive this heat. Can’t run car for days. No money to stay in hotel. Even if we could I have a damaged foot that swells badly and needs to be elevated, my back and hips are shot. I can’t sleep in a flat bed. I can’t get comfortable and can’t move when I get up. I sleep in a recliner with back and feet propped up.
Car sounds like the MAF ( Mass Air Flow ) sensor was bad. That would account for the rumbling / smoking causing the throttle to react to adjusting the air / fuel ratio. So good that the car is repaired.

Yeah!.... no way to use the portable A/C if you can't place the hose out the opening. Bummer!!!....

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Car sounds like the MAF ( Mass Air Flow ) sensor was bad. That would account for the rumbling / smoking causing the throttle to react to adjusting the air / fuel ratio. So good that the car is repaired.

Yeah!.... no way to use the portable A/C if you can't place the hose out the opening. Bummer!!!....

They didn't fix anything. They said nothing was wrong with the car and didn't do any repairs. Which means it will keep happening.

Embryodad

They didn't fix anything. They said nothing was wrong with the car and didn't do any repairs. Which means it will keep happening.
Oh! That really stinks. So, now you drive with the Question....When is it gonna happen again? It's funny the CEL (Check Engine Light ) didn't com on.
That would store a fault code in the Engine Management System; and that would at least point to what part / system malfunctioned.
Always something huh?.... God bless and help you through your dilemma's
I am praying the house A/C cooling gets repaired today.
Hope it is just a run capacitor. That is the usual part to go on the A/C units.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peep's a.c.

Oh! That really stinks. So, now you drive with the Question....When is it gonna happen again? It's funny the CEL (Check Engine Light ) didn't com on.
That would store a fault code in the Engine Management System; and that would at least point to what part / system malfunctioned.
Always something huh?.... God bless and help you through your dilemma's
I am praying the house A/C cooling gets repaired today.
Hope it is just a run capacitor. That is the usual part to go on the A/C units.

The check engine light did go on. AND the "Service the Stabilitrak" message. That's why I don't understand why they said nothing was wrong. Maybe they are just incompetent.

Still waiting to hear from a/c service man.

Have you heard of Atek?

Embryodad

The check engine light did go on. AND the "Service the Stabilitrak" message. That's why I don't understand why they said nothing was wrong. Maybe they are just incompetent.

Still waiting to hear from a/c service man.

Have you heard of Atek?
No.... Never heard of Atech.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

No.... Never heard of Atech.

The guys from Atek came. They turned on and after 20 minutes the circuit never blew. BUT the power cord got very hot. So they say we need the cord. They will order it and try to fit us in Monday.

Embryodad

The guys from Atek came. They turned on and after 20 minutes the circuit never blew. BUT the power cord got very hot. So they say we need the cord. They will order it and try to fit us in Monday.
Hope you cool off in the meantime. Enjoy!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Hope you cool off in the meantime. Enjoy!

Does that sound right to you Jimmy? Do you think replacing the cord will fix the problem?

Embryodad

Does that sound right to you Jimmy? Do you think replacing the cord will fix the problem?
It is weird that the power cord would get hot.
Is the unit a through the wall unit, or a window mounted unit?
If the fan is running, blowing air, but is just not cold air...then the compressor is not running . ( That is the pump that causes the refrigeration cycle )
Is the unit cooling now?....if not, then the compressor is probably cycling on and off on the motor overload protector. Remember, if the unit is cooling, you would measure 15 to 20 degrees F cooler at the outlet, than the air entering .
After 10 minutes of cooling.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

We don’t have it on because the cord was so hot.

Embryodad

We don’t have it on because the cord was so hot.
OK.... But here is the answer to a bad cord. Supposedly!
Was it Cooling / Producing cold or cool from the outlet, while the cord was hot? If it WAS Cooling, then it may very well be a defective Cord; which is causing a resistance and voltage drop to the unit.
If there was No COOL air being produced, then there is something else wrong; like a shorted Run Capacitor. A run capacitor, is like in cooking.
A low flame and trying to sear a thick piece of meat, with a low small flame, is not going to work. Not enough Heat to sear properly.
Well with a compressor motor, the capacitor supplies ~ 370 volts to the motor; so that it runs fast and strong. With a defective capacitor, the motor does not run, and or have enough boost, which causes the voltage to drop like a weak battery in a car.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter

We had a toaster oven that had the cord get hot. Turns out it was the outlet itself going bad, the wiring. Older home.

I'd try a heavy duty extension cord to a different outlet.

Embryodad

We had a toaster oven that had the cord get hot. Turns out it was the outlet itself going bad, the wiring. Older home.

I'd try a heavy duty extension cord to a different outlet.
So true medtran.... It can sometimes be the outlet itself. Sometimes the terminals get burnt inside, and causes resistance. Sometimes you can smell the outlet smells burnt plastic etc...There are ways the service guy could have tested that, and i'm surprised they are guessing. Like you said, they could have ran an extension cord to another outlet. Then take another amperage reading. If normal, it would eliminate guessing.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

It is a dedicated line just for the a/c. It has been replaced twice in the last 8 years. Once after Sandy hit. Then 4 years ago when Sears swore it was the line. The electrician said that the line was fine but we asked him to put new one anyway just in case.

We have a dedicated line on a circuit breaker because the house has fuses. We can’t run a/c without blowing fuses. Hence the dedicated line.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

I wonder if we can move this discussion to rants and raves?
Jimmy's lost track of the current dinner thread, as this one has reached it's sell by date.
:smile:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

I wonder if we can move this discussion to rants and raves?
Jimmy's lost track of the current dinner thread, as this one has reached it's sell by date.
:smile:

Good suggestion to move this section of a dinner thread, Sass - thanks! Since there are so many posts on the subject, I gave it a thread of its own.

I'll move Jimmy's dinner post to this week's dinner thread.

Lee

Last edited:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter

OK.... But here is the answer to a bad cord. Supposedly!
Was it Cooling / Producing cold or cool from the outlet, while the cord was hot? If it WAS Cooling, then it may very well be a defective Cord; which is causing a resistance and voltage drop to the unit.
If there was No COOL air being produced, then there is something else wrong; like a shorted Run Capacitor. A run capacitor, is like in cooking.
A low flame and trying to sear a thick piece of meat, with a low small flame, is not going to work. Not enough Heat to sear properly.
Well with a compressor motor, the capacitor supplies ~ 370 volts to the motor; so that it runs fast and strong. With a defective capacitor, the motor does not run, and or have enough boost, which causes the voltage to drop like a weak battery in a car.

I agree, more chance its inside the unit rather than the cord. Capacitors are notorious for failure in more than a/c units.

Disclaimer:

Although I’m an electrical engineer i missed the class on air conditioning. But I did use the a/c at the Holiday Inn Express last night.

Embryodad

Peeps..... did the A/C guy replace the power cord on the house A/C unit ?
Been praying you would be back up and running. Hopefully!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I'm praying hard for you poor folks....
We lost power for 15 MINUTES today, and I was in a panic.
I cannot imagine you and your family without A/C

Thanks for the prays Jimmy.

We lost power for 1 hour on Wednesday but I was out in car A/C taking DD somewhere.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
OK. A/C Update:
So I first called Best Buy on Sunday 7/19/20 and was told I would get a call on Mon. 7/20/20 from the service/repair company that handles A/C units by 4 pm. I never got the call. Was told by Best Buy call repair company (gave me number) tomorrow during business hours on Tues. 7/21/20.
I called. Left message. Got call back 5 hours later and was told first available appointment was Wed. 7/29/20.
They came on 7/29/20 told me I needed a "cord". They ordered it (ETA 7/31/20) and would let me know when it came in and make an appointment.
8/4/20 part still not in.
8/12/20 got call saying part came in and set appointment for next day.
8/13/20 They came at 12:30 pm. Took 2 minutes and said they were sent the wrong part. 3 weeks of blasting heat and wrong part was sent!
One of the guys says, "You have a Home Depot close around here?".
I say "yes 5 minutes up the road".
He says, "We'll be back". And they leave.
1 1/2 hours later they came back. NOT with a cord BUT the plug that goes in the outlet. Stupid me thought the whole cord needed to be removed and replaced! It took all of MAYBE 15 minutes for them to cut and strip the wires and attach to new plug. Job done!! A/C works!! Thank you lord it's cold again and I can breathe easy again.

BUT WHY THE HELL COULDN'T THEY go to Home Depot 3 weeks a go and fix it during the first service call? 1 week after it crappy out.

OK rant over for now.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Holy SHEET!

Did you have to pay anything at all? Are you going to take any action, e.g. writing to Best Buy's head of customer service? And/or at least writing your story on Yelp or some other review website?

I'm glad your a.c. is back!

Lee