New Year's Food 2014~

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
have yinz got a menu together, yet--

i have both k'bossy & a ham steak, kraut, & redd 'taters. i'll crockpot one soon, then make another fer New Year's Day. think i bought center-cut pork, too. oi.

LADawg

Down here in the South, we MUST have black eyed peas on New Years Day. Don’t you know that just eating them will bring good luck for the rest of the year???? What, your Mama didn’t tell you that when were a child??
My favorite way to have said black eyed peas is to make a big pot of Hopping John. That with some cornbread (no sugar of course) along with some boiled cabbage and 2014 will be just right.

HOPPING JOHN
1 Cup Dried Black-Eyed Peas
2 or 3 Slices Bacon or Salt Pork
1 Small Onion chopped
1 or 2 Clove Garlic crushed or chopped
1/2 Pound Lean Ground Beef
Salt, Fresh Ground Black Pepper, and a dash of MSG to taste
In a large bowl cover the Dried Black-Eyed Peas with Water and refrigerate over night. Drain the soaking water, place the peas in a large sauce pan or pot and cover with fresh Water. Add the Bacon or Salt Pork, the chopped Onion, and the Garlic. Bring to a Boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for about an hour or until the Peas are about tender, yet still a little firm. Add the uncooked Rice. You may need to add a little more water at this. time. Cover and cook for another 20 minutes. While the Rice is cooking Sauté the Lean Ground Beef. Add the Beef to the pot with the Peas and Rice.. Season with the Salt, Fresh Ground Black Pepper and dash of MSG. Using very low heat, cook for another 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for 5 or 10 minutes before serving.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
so i hear. we, here, often hafta have pork & kraut. luv black-eyed peas & collards, tho, too.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Nothing special tonight then a rerun of Christmas Day lunch with the in laws tomorrow.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Down here in the South, we MUST have black eyed peas on New Years Day. Don’t you know that just eating them will bring good luck for the rest of the year???? What, your Mama didn’t tell you that when were a child??
My favorite way to have said black eyed peas is to make a big pot of Hopping John. That with some cornbread (no sugar of course) along with some boiled cabbage and 2014 will be just right.

HOPPING JOHN
1 Cup Dried Black-Eyed Peas
2 or 3 Slices Bacon or Salt Pork
1 Small Onion chopped
1 or 2 Clove Garlic crushed or chopped
1/2 Pound Lean Ground Beef
Salt, Fresh Ground Black Pepper, and a dash of MSG to taste
In a large bowl cover the Dried Black-Eyed Peas with Water and refrigerate over night. Drain the soaking water, place the peas in a large sauce pan or pot and cover with fresh Water. Add the Bacon or Salt Pork, the chopped Onion, and the Garlic. Bring to a Boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for about an hour or until the Peas are about tender, yet still a little firm. Add the uncooked Rice. You may need to add a little more water at this. time. Cover and cook for another 20 minutes. While the Rice is cooking Sauté the Lean Ground Beef. Add the Beef to the pot with the Peas and Rice.. Season with the Salt, Fresh Ground Black Pepper and dash of MSG. Using very low heat, cook for another 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for 5 or 10 minutes before serving.

How much rice, LA?

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
New year's eve dinner is long and slow here.

There courses down.

1) Grilled shrimp with garlic butter, paprika and lemon drizzle.
2) Shrimp cocktail. Homemade sauce with horseradish fresh from the garden.
3) Broiled scallops wrapped in bacon, paprika, Adobo, butter basted, lemon drizzle.

Still to come, lobster and rose Champaign.

We start at about four or five. Eat a little, talk a little, chill a little, make the next course.

Very leisurely and long. Lobster may even be tomorrow.

Embryodad

Kielbasi is cookin on the stove slow and low.

A side of Pork ribs will be made tomorrow.
They are dry rubbed with spices I made up into a tasty rub. They will go in the oven covered tomorrow low and slow for about 4 hours.

Gotta have pork on New Years Day.

Tina and I had a little bunch of stuff on this eve. Little wieners in the blanket / we had some cut wedges of a couple hoagies Tina had made up. The kids are doing their own thing.

Last night was GD's 21st Birthday. The kids and Tina took her to Morristown, NJ off the green to an Irish Pub, ( The Grasshopper )

Had dinner...then came home, and the kids all went Bar Hopping to 2 more bars... The GD did 2 drinks and 4 shots, and they were back home all tired out around 12 midnight.

:drink2:

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
images

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
As predicted, lobster is today.

We mau till about 10:30 and decided that the new year would start even if we were asleep.

It did Happy New Year All!!!!

Andy

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
New year's eve dinner is long and slow here.

There courses down.

1) Grilled shrimp with garlic butter, paprika and lemon drizzle.
2) Shrimp cocktail. Homemade sauce with horseradish fresh from the garden.
3) Broiled scallops wrapped in bacon, paprika, Adobo, butter basted, lemon drizzle.

Still to come, lobster and rose Champaign.

We start at about four or five. Eat a little, talk a little, chill a little, make the next course.

Very leisurely and long. Lobster may even be tomorrow.

Send some this way that sounds sooooo good! :in_love:

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I'm making Italian sausage & peppers over polenta with lots of sauce for mopping :)

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i hafta use my ham & kraut extras! yinz' food is makin' me hungry~

Embryodad

i hafta use my ham & kraut extras! yinz' food is makin' me hungry~
I threw the rest of the ham out today, and the Turkey Buzzards Ate it all up.
Some animal took the bone. hahahahaha. Wasn't feeling well past few days; so I didn't get a chance to salvage any ham or cook anything.

Next Ham will come on Easter.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
get well, jimmy! i kept my New Year's food past 4 daze (ham/kraut) as they're both already salted & kraut is fermented, etcetera.

luv my new crock-pot fer 1. i poured extra bolognese sauce & bulk pasta in, & i'm waiting to see if that gets too be too starchy or if it'll be okay as is. donut french toast is my 2nd pick.